Why aren't 'The Doobie Brothers' as revered as some?
Jan 13, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Journey, who got ASTRONOMICALLY more popular after doing changing vocalists.

I'm really behind then - last vocalist I remember was Steve Perry. Was he replaced? Did he replace someone???

I've still got most of their stuff on vinyl from the 80s
redface.gif

I started listening again when the final season of 'The Sopranos' ended with 'Don't Stop Believing'

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #17 of 21
I guess I'm in the minority here. I much prefer the Doobies after McDonald joined. Jeff "skunk" Baxter did a session with Steeley Dan....heard McDonald and brought him over to the Doobies. Together they took the Doobies into more sophisticated music (inspired by Steeley Dan).

The problem for me was most of their albums with McDonald tried to be a little of both "sounds" rather than truly commiting to the "new direction". As the saying goes..."very difficult to cross a river in two boats".

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You forget Van Halen. And to tie this into the Doobie Brothers thread....Michael McDonald is now listed as a co-writer of Van Halen's "I'll Wait" on the remastered CD of "1984".

I too like both versions of the band, but I prefer the Michael McDonald version more. The sound is more sophisticated and certainly sounded a lot smoother. They're excellent live and you guys should definitely check out their concert video....especially with Michael McDonald sitting in.

Don't get me started on DLR Van Halen vs. Van Hagar. Lol

If that's success following the change of a lead signer, then AC/DC had some kewl albums after Bon Scott's death that aren't entitled "Back in Black."
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #19 of 21
How's the SQ on The Best of the Doobies - the album w/the jukebox on the cover and has songs by both singers on it? It's cheap everywhere I see it. Also, if it's Tom Johnston's voice I prefer, what one old album (not a greatest hits CD) should I buy that really kicks butt?

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the SQ on The Best of the Doobies - the album w/the jukebox on the cover and has songs by both singers on it? It's cheap everywhere I see it. Also, if it's Tom Johnston's voice I prefer, what one old album (not a greatest hits CD) should I buy that really kicks butt?

I would get The Captain and Me and Toulouse Street.

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #21 of 21
I've always liked the Doobies, but I think ultimately they're a forgettable band. As others have said, they did some nice stuff but it all comes down to a greatest hits sort of thing because they didn't produce outstanding albulms that really held together.

I liked Minute By Minute quite a bit at the time but haven't heard it in years. When Steve Hoffman remastered it, I thought, "Bravo! What an excellent choice!" So I quickly ordered it for something like $14.99 (they don't cost much while they're still in print, even if limited editions). But then the SOB company who I ordered it from never sent it! Some company on Amazon I think. I forgot all about it and then didn't follow up for at least 6 months by which time they told me to fly a kite. Never did get the thing. Oh well. Maybe I'll find one for triple the price one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back