Why aren't all high end headphones balanced?
Dec 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 9
Because not everybody wants that and balanced amps are still a minority

Dec 26, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 9
Because the relatively short cable lengths involved in headphone listening don't necessitate balanced audio and don't justify the increased manufacturing cost.

Dec 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 9
Ahh but balancing headphones are not the same as balanced signal cables. Balancing a headphone is primarily done for 2 reasons: To get rid of the common ground and to double the voltage swing. The flip side is that it requires twice as many amps as single ended so tend nearly double the price

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Ahh but balancing headphones are not the same as balanced signal cables. Balancing a headphone is primarily done for 2 reasons: To get rid of the common ground and to double the voltage swing. The flip side is that it requires twice as many amps as single ended so tend nearly double the price

that's a really good explanation, I was always wondering some of the facts of a balanced amp. Thank you !

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 9
Also, where is the magical threshold between every day headphones and high end models? For some people $200 or above would be pretty high end but for others maybe $2000 and up would be high end.

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 9
Because all headamps have single ended out but only a few have balanced. It is also still debatable if balanced makes a difference.

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
that's a really good explanation, I was always wondering some of the facts of a balanced amp. Thank you !

No it's not. You can design an unbalanced amp to swing just as much V unbalanced and star the ground at the jack for optimum earthing. Many (most?) unbalanced phones already run seperate grounds to the jack. Balanced amps also don't inherently sound better. It just depends on the individual amp.

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 9
I have no idea if you can but I have not seen a single ended amp that swings the same V as some balanced amps do. The thing about star ground I don't know what mean but since there are only 3 signals the ground must still be shared at some point. But I do agree that just because an amp is balanced it does not necesarily sound better and Meyer with his active ground does seem to get very close to the same benefit that the total elimination of common ground in balanced amps have. Also not all headphones respond to balancing in the same way so you cant automatically say that a given headphone will sound better balanced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back