Why are there no horn headphones?
Apr 14, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #16 of 41
Seriously...
rolleyes.gif

...horns make no sense in headphones. As has been said, their main purpose -- «controlled» directivity -- has no meaning with headphones. Moreover there's no need for increased efficiency, it would even be harmful in certain cases as it woud provoke increased hum and noise.

And finally, they can't be realized with headphones. The size of horns (lenght and mouth surface) defines their cut-off frequency. Within headphone dimensions you would get high-pass cut-off frequencies around 3 kHz or higher... So all you would achieve is an increase of treble energy. Another factor: the horn would radiate its sonic energy onto the outer ear and maybe parts of the head, representing an abrupt change of acoustic impedance and thus cause massive reflections back into the horn -- with awful resonances as a result.

peacesign.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 9:30 AM Post #17 of 41
One advantage of horns is that they work with minimal driver excursion. The membrane can move in a range where there is very little distortion and cone break-up. Even at bass frequencies. The acoustic coupling between membrane and air is much better than with conventional speakers. And therefore, horns are extremely efficient. Many need amplifiers that provide just a couple of watts.

With headphones, you get most of those advantages for free. Headphones need just milliwatts to achieve SPLs of 95 or 100 db. This means that many headphones are 1000 times more efficient than most horn speakers to begin with. It's obvious: a speaker has to energize an entire room, a headphone has to energize only the tiny space between the driver's membrane and the ear. While the SPLs are the same, the energy needed to achieve the same loudness levels is a lot less.

Finally, I have always considered Etys as something akin to horn headphones. They are the efficiency champions in the headphone world.

Apr 14, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
Finally, I have always considered Etys as something akin to horn headphones. They are the efficiency champions in the headphone world.

Shure's are significantly more efficient then Ety's
eek.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 10:47 AM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by SpoonMan
Shure's are significantly more efficient then Ety's
eek.gif

You have to take into consideration that the ER-4's 5-ohm driver's efficiency is massively lessened by serial resistors -- 20 ohm in the case of the P and 100 ohm in the case of the S. Without that, it would be extremely efficient. Don't know about Shures though.

Tomcat's analogy has some merits: nothing beats the Etys in terms of directness, control and transients. On the other hand, horns produce a lot of inner reflections and thus transient smearing, whereas the Etys have lower reflections than any other headphone, at least throughout a wide frequency range.

peacesign.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 10:52 AM Post #20 of 41
Why are there no cars with jet engines?

Apr 14, 2004 at 11:22 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
There are.

Hi Ed,

Touché, as we say in the trade, and I might add: "Why am I not surprised that it was you who came up with such a link..."
very_evil_smiley.gif

But as your picture illustrates, cars with jet engines do not make a lot of sense, and neither would horn headphones, so why bother.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by GlowWorm
There are also jet motorcycle engines

Technically, horn headphones (mono version) have been around for quite a while.

Just look at the receiver of this ancient telephone:
s_h1.jpg

However, it would appear that this design approach somehow did not quite stand the test of time. But don't be discouraged! Just follow this link, order a pair of ancient receivers, attach them to a headband and a cable, and come back with a full report, to which I shall be looking forward.

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #26 of 41
Wow, what a turn of events....from horn driven headphones to jet powered scooters...

Um...hijacked!
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Sugano-san

But as your picture illustrates, cars with jet engines do not make a lot of sense.

Well there is the whole Land Speed Record thing......

Now whether or not that this contest is practical is debateable. Then again is spending more money on your headphone gear than many spend on a normal car practical?
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Apr 14, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #28 of 41
It's doubly hard if your a car fanatic and an audiojunkie.

"Honey, I'm buying this LSD rear differential for my car."
"Honey, I'm buying a new Jeff Rowland CD player."
"Honey, last month I spent 7000$ on a LSD and a new cd player. I'm buying you this diamond studded bracelet."

Apr 14, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Lostlamb
Wow, what a turn of events....from horn driven headphones to jet powered scooters...

Um...hijacked!
tongue.gif

It doesn't really bother me, because my question has pretty much been answered anyway, besides this is funny stuff.
biggrin.gif

Ed, whats next, a jet powered skateboard?
biggrin.gif
Oh no! I shouldn't give you any more ideas.
eek.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back