Why are so many Head-Fi members opposed to hi-rez and universal dvd players?
Dec 1, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #61 of 122
I don't like the hi-rez formats for a number of reasons:

1. Some require video screens for operation. I don't mind having a video option, but it shouldn't be necessary.

2. Multi-channel. I'm still not convinced it's a good thing.

3. Technology. I strongly believe that DSD is wholly inadquate compared to PCM. I won't get into it here. DVD-A should just be 96kHz. 192kHz is unnecessary especially since sticking with 96Khz would have ensured compatability with all DVD formats. Doesn't help the video problem though.

4. Lack of Discs. Well, I did just see a Ludacris album in Best Buy today. Can't remember which format.

5. Copy Protection. I'm all for them trying to protect there content as much as possible but it's ridiculous that you have to jump through hoops just to get a digital output. This "feature" has also really stifled the high-end audio market because the necessary licensing for reading one of these discs is crazy expensive. Decoding is generally free.

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #62 of 122
I haven't followed much of this thread. However, I'm aware that the people on the recording side of this *do* conduct ABX tests to determine if there is a degradation in sound regarding DSD and PCM. They find it valuable to separate reality from imagination. Of course, their decisions affect a lot of people.

JF

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #63 of 122
All this bickering about which hi-rez leads me to wonder why you don't like a universal player.
I am actually not real happy that my DVD player only plays SACD, Redbook and DVD discs. I feel cheated. I bought the thing because my old DVD player gave out and I needed a new one. This Sony was cheap, got good reviews and just happened to play SACD. If there had been a universal player available at that time, I would have bought one.

Now, about the comment made higher up in this thread, that the redbook layer is poorly done on hybrid discs to make the SACD layer better. BS.
My copy of the Rolling Stones Hot Rocks is a hybrid disc. I play the SACD layer through my $250 Sony player. It sounds nice, well rounded and all that. I play the redbook layer through a $2500 Arcam player and it sounds better.

There are quality universal players out there. Like this one from Linn.Of course, I think a universal player should be truly universal and play DVDs from all regions.
tongue.gif
So, I am going to get one of those someday, and it will play all these other formats also.

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #64 of 122
Well

I don't like hi-rez formats also because I find the sound of vinyl better for my type of music. My music is usually simple, not INCREDIBLY dynamic or detailed (save pink floyd) - records in my opinion are just more fun, and definitely more groovy.
Lack of titles is also a big one.

The reason why I don't like universal players is because they spend more money trying to be compatable with the latest media and NOT spending money into reporoducing the music well.

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #65 of 122
In my case , my experience is the same as Canman's .

Most universal players ( even the expensive ones) dont have a good redbook playback .
Then there is the lack of titles that i want in hi rez format.

I have tried sacd and dvd audio before and sold all my titles and gear .
Before i would go back - i might try vinyl first .

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #66 of 122
How many of you guys have invested your own money in a universal dvd player before you said that they're all garbage? How many?

How many of you also know that more universal players priced slightly above or below the critical budget category of $1000 USD now feature separate DACs and even separate digital signals to process SA-CD from DVD-Audio from Red Book CDs? How many?

I'm not trying to start a God damned flame war with my own thread but I am reading a lot comments made by people who are just plain old ignorant, biased, and prejudicial against hi-rez media and universal dvd players. This has been the prevailing attitude around Head-Fi for the past several years ever since Head-Fi went on line. It's just ****ing crazy: you can't call me a chink but you can spout off the mouth with all this bias and prejudice and outright hatred against hi-rez and universal dvd players. Pick 'n choose your target, I guess...hmmph.
mad.gif

Look, you guys want to stick with Red Book CDs? You want to rip copies and encode them in the compressed digital audio format du jour? You want to play them on your iPods or whatever $500 USD digital player is hot?

Fine.

At least I had enough balls to call 'em as I see 'em around here at head-fi. Later dudes.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #67 of 122
Everyone here is "calling it as they see it." Most have opinions different from yours. You just seem to be getting upset because not everyone agrees with you. If you like universal players so much, nobody's stopping you from listening to yours. Get a life and stop griping.

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #68 of 122
I'm upset not because I think I'm the final word on audiophilia: I'm not. I'm upset because I see a lot of people trashing something they don't even want to give a half an ass of a chance. That's my problem with this community. Read the prevailing attitudes and themes in this thread and tell me that people aren't hating something they won't ever try for themselves here.

Dec 1, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #72 of 122
What a drama queen you are. Don't start threads if you can't handle opposing viewpoints.

Dec 1, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #74 of 122
Sorry, just sick of your useless threads and vitriol. And constant Barnes and Noble plugs. Who cares about Barnes and Noble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back