Why are people on eBay so obnoxiously stupid?
Jan 17, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #31 of 62
Over paying is just due to people not comprehending that you actually look up what something is worth, they don't do this so overestimate it's true worth.

I wanted to buy an air compressor in good condition from a police seized/stolen goods auction. I expected to pay maybe $30-40 for it, people drove the price up to $80 on one and $90 on another and it costs $70 retail, one of them was missing a carry bag and the stores you get them in are in far more conveneint locations than the auction house.

Those people probably thought they were getting a bargain as most air compressors are a few hundred but this is a cheap model, I was just chuckling to myself that some people can be so idiotic as to not check somethings value, also grumbling a bit as I missed out on a bargain because of them driving the price up.

Jan 17, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #32 of 62
If I used that sniping program I would only be "beating" people that aren't using the program and I would be paying for the privilege! That sentence might sound weird but thinking back to times when I did have time to sit and watch an auction end, I wouldn't be saving anything.

I'm tired of discussing this. Recently I seem to be posting about my amazement at other poeple's anger or frustration at experiences or situations that, frankly, aren't worth getting angry and frustrated over.

It's 3am.
I'm going to sleep.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #33 of 62
Your acting like it's $5 per auction won. It's more like $5 per every 50 auctions won, and if you use it but you lose the auction, it dosn't use any of your bidpoints. Don't want to snipe? Fine, just don't bid 6 days before the auction end, it justs hurts you and everybody else (assuming you are just placing a small bid, and not something really big to deter everybody else)

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, so there is an auction with 6 days left and already 12 people have placed bids driving the price up more than double the starting price. I mean, do these people simply not think? Placing a bid so early does nothing but hinder, even the person that placed the bid. It will attract more attention to the item, cause bidding wars (days before the auction end) and skyrocket the price. How can people be SO stupid? I don't get it. Placing a bid 24 hours before the auction end is not the brightest idea. But SIX DAYS?

I am really at a loss as to what goes on in the minds of these people. And a lot of them are people with 1000+ positive feedback.

wow you are bitter. I've bid outside of the 24 hour window, most times because I end up forgetting about the auction and coming back to see that I just missed it by a few minutes. The concept of driving up the price only works if you assume there will always be an idiot willing to pay a high price for it in the end. Maybe these people know they'll have to compete with snipers in the last few minutes, and they don't want to do that. They might be able to afford the item, and can afford to drive up the price, so quit whining that you missed a chance to snipe an auction and get a good deal
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

Right, so there is an auction with 6 days left and already 12 people have placed bids driving the price up more than double the starting price. I mean, do these people simply not think? Placing a bid so early does nothing but hinder, even the person that placed the bid. It will attract more attention to the item, cause bidding wars (days before the auction end) and skyrocket the price. How can people be SO stupid? I don't get it. Placing a bid 24 hours before the auction end is not the brightest idea. But SIX DAYS?

I am really at a loss as to what goes on in the minds of these people. And a lot of them are people with 1000+ positive feedback.

How is this any worse than 100 snipers jumping on an auction in the last 30 seconds? I see no difference, both are lame. I choose to only bid on auctions that will not attract attention.

Jan 17, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #37 of 62
A friend of mine put up a vintage computer and two snipers with auto-bidding went at it in the last 15 seconds.

It was great... for my friend. Both snipers had set ridiculously high amounts thinking they'd kill anyone else in the last second by pennies. Instead, an item that usually went for $100-$150 popped up to about $480 in 8 or 9 seconds. The buyer grumbled, but did pay up. The auction was fair and he did set his own maximum.

I used to snipe and plan out auction timing, but I just don't care anymore. On the rare occasion that I bid competitively these days, I put in my max whenever I want. My max is usually 5%-10% over market. If I win, great. If not, I'll live. I also get the satisfaction of seeing a sniper pay more than market value.

Jan 17, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #38 of 62
Quote:

Placing a bid so early does nothing but hinder, even the person that placed the bid. It will attract more attention to the item, cause bidding wars (days before the auction end) and skyrocket the price.

The worst sniping occurs on items that are going for a low price, if the item is already at a high price in it's last 24 hours it's going to attract LESS attention. This has always been my experience.

I think it's incredibly rude to call people stupid just because they don't follow your buying methods.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #39 of 62
Quote:

what i find more stupid is some people actaully paid more for a new item on ebay than what you could buy elsewhere. i guess thats how those powerseller cheat off people.

Well, no, that can actually be very smart if the seller is willing to ship internationaly as the price and availlability of some items varies greatly country to country.

Exemples:
KSC75: about 45€ (55$) in Europe, about 20$ in the US.
Philips 895: about 90€ in Europe, 50€ in india, unavaillable in US.

Sometimes you also want to import something unavaillable in your country, for exemple I bought a "compatible" zen charger from the UK because in Belgium you only find the branded ones that cost an arm and a leg.

More than retail in one country may be much less than retail in another.

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by erlik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, no, that can actually be very smart if the seller is willing to ship internationaly as the price and availlability of some items varies greatly country to country.

Exemples:
KSC75: about 45€ (55$) in Europe, about 20$ in the US.
Philips 895: about 90€ in Europe, 50€ in india, unavaillable in US.

Sometimes you also want to import something unavaillable in your country, for exemple I bought a "compatible" zen charger from the UK because in Belgium you only find the branded ones that cost an arm and a leg.

More than retail in one country may be much less than retail in another.

Mmmm... I have just discovered that.

My girlfriend and I both have ebay accounts now and we ebay every imported consumer good.

Australia is probably one of the most expensive places to shop.

Senn HD-650 MSRP is $899 here ($703.55 USD) - What BS!
Benchmark DAC1 $1700 ($1330)
Grace M902 is $2899 ($2268.76 USD)
- these aren't too bad
AKG K-701 is $880 ($688.38) - BS too

We have very high import tax, on top of that - 10% GST, on top of that - luxury goods tax and THEN customs duties and fees.
blink.gif
blink.gif

I sometimes envy you Americans at your ease of obtaining consumer goods and services. And your society is also about five-seven years ahead of Australia's.

Jan 17, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #42 of 62
Quote:

Fine, just don't bid 6 days before the auction end, it justs hurts you and everybody else (assuming you are just placing a small bid, and not something really big to deter everybody else)

It doesn't hurt everyone else.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #43 of 62
I bid a price when I find an item I would want to buy. If I really want it I'll put my max price and leave it till the end, I either win or lose. If it's a fad thing and I don't really need it I put a small price and leave that.

The tendency in an auction is to keep topping up your bid, especially during the last moments (just a few dollars more can't hurt) and before you know it you've paid more than you expected.

I find it equally stupid that people expect to get something way under priced by bidding late, but not enough to whine about it in a forum.
redface.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmm... I have just discovered that.

My girlfriend and I both have ebay accounts now and we ebay every imported consumer good.

Australia is probably one of the most expensive places to shop.

Senn HD-650 MSRP is $899 here ($703.55 USD) - What BS!
Benchmark DAC1 $1700 ($1330)
Grace M902 is $2899 ($2268.76 USD)
- these aren't too bad
AKG K-701 is $880 ($688.38) - BS too

We have very high import tax, on top of that - 10% GST, on top of that - luxury goods tax and THEN customs duties and fees.
blink.gif
blink.gif

I sometimes envy you Americans at your ease of obtaining consumer goods and services. And your society is also about five-seven years ahead of Australia's.

Just think...when we start killing each other in ridiculously large numbers, you folks still have 5-7 years!

And yes, the future does involve killing in ridiculously large numbers. I checked.

Jan 17, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And yes, the future does involve killing in ridiculously large numbers. I checked.

Now when I win the lottery and spend 5 million on a fortified castle, people will say I'm crazy. These same people will likely be killed when I shoot them from my 80' high battlements as they try to steal my food and gasoline. (Castles are a good defense against zombies too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back