Why are my boys able to make quick headphone judgements?
Jan 10, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #18 of 18
You are a cool dad with cool kids. I am in my teens and can hear and visualize everything hifi reviewers write. I went to a meet and each headphone sounded like I was expecting. Most of the open ones did not have enough bass or impact to sound really good for me, and the HD650 for a really nice Cary tube amp almost put me to sleep. I put on some Grados, and that more fun but still not quite there. I am looking into the Ultrasone Pro 900, because it reportedly has really amazing bass abilities while having many other qualities that endear it to the hifi crowd. I have heard it is extremely good with piano, much better than the HD800, and I can definitely imagine that. I didn't really like the HD800s at all. I hear balancing them with some good copper wire and having the right amps bring them up, and I could like them if they have more bass, impact, and naturalness with that setup. I am pretty sure I prefer the soundstage presentation of the HD600 and HD650 more than the HD800, as they can wrap around my head and the HD800 is slightly in front of me and a little distant. 

About Skullcandy. I bought some skullcrushers and they were pretty fun with the huge fake adjustable bass, but they broke up and distorted songs regularly, so I definitely wanted something better. I bought the SK Titan IEMs, and they are OK, but many things like guitar sound metallic through them and the bass is inconsistent. Today, I just purchased some SK FMJs, Full Metal Jackets, IEMs on a deal from Marshalls and really like them so far. The bass is big, and it is fairly consistent. They are actually pretty good with detail and a sense of space, and sound reasonably natural. I will break them in more and listen some more, but they are really good for now. I think I could be happy with them if I never had another in ear ever, as cans and earbuds are much more to my liking. I know this is really long, but I felt I could contribute. If you gave me some high end gear and asked for a review in a week, then as long as I had some other gaer for a reference point, I could give you a pretty good review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back