Why are my boys able to make quick headphone judgements?
Jan 6, 2011 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
Last night, my older son (almost 13 yrs old) and I were listening to music.  He was using DT770/80 Pro, and I was using HD650.  He has no idea that the HD650 cost 2x as much (or more) than the DT770/80 Pro.  I asked him to try the HD650 and to let me know what he thought.  He put them on, listened for about a minute, then lifted them off his head and said, "These (HD650) sound better.  They are smoother, and they make it easy for me to hear the different sounds like vocals, bass, and guitar.  The other ones have more (moar?) bass, and they kind of drown out the other stuff."  Isn't that a pretty good comparison to make after listening for only  a minute?

My younger son (he's almost 4) is funnier, and probably not as reliable as a reviewer (yet) as his older brother.  However, he has listened to the Sony MDR-V300, DT770/80 Pro, K601, and AH-D2000.  He did a back to back between the DT770/80 Pro and the MDR-V300, and when I tried to put the MDR-V300 on his head after taking off the DT770/80 Pro, he ripped them off his head and flung them across the room.  That seems to be a pretty fair response to a comparison between those two phones.

They seem to be able to make their decisions and form opinions quicker than their old man can.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 18
Ha, cool can't wait to my kids do this I could see them for some odd reason going with whichever was more comfortable. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 18
The difference between my older son and me is that although I love music, I am no musician.  He's played piano since he was 8, and violin since he was 9.  He loves music as much as I do, but my guess is the training from piano and violin give him a leg up on me.

Now the youngest... lol...

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 18
Why couldn't my father have been so cool?

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 18
I think young people could potentially give the most accurate reviews if they could gain enough listening experience to develop discerning tastes before presbycusis sets in. So many reviewers are middle-aged or older that I wonder how they can comment on high-frequency extension. Maybe reviewers could include hearing test frequency curves to give a better idea about what they're experiencing.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 18
The DT770/80 Pro is kinda in the doghouse with the little one now.  He was trying to put them on his head, but since his hands are too small to get a good grip on the earcups, he slipped, and got a finger pinched by the forks that hold onto the earcups.  That must have hurt!  He howled a bit, and then I got his finger out from the "trap."  He looked at the headphone in a reproachful manner, and then went off to play upstairs.  Personally, I think it is a ploy to have the D2000 designated as "his" headphones.  j/k

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 18
Well, I can also make a quick judgment on which headphone I prefer, but it's just that - preference. To evaluate the technical abilities of a headphone, you will need to listen for much longer than that.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #15 of 18
I do want to try the Skull Candy thing, though.  If they are big and boomy, he might like them.  He may be able to tell me that HD650s are smoother than DT770/80, and that the DT770/80 has "moar" bass, but that doesn't mean that he isn't a basshead!  :wink:  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back