Why are Headphone amps not mainstream?
Jul 22, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #16 of 20
I guess people dont even know or care about headphone amps. Heck, I didn't even know headphone amps existed before i came here. And I certainly didn't care about sound quality.

Jul 22, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #17 of 20
Most people have gotten used to buying headphones for <$20 if even that much from radioshack, bestbuy, and all those stores. Now I understand if somebody doesn't want to spend a lot of money on headphones, but some people are looking for better sound and should look at the best bang for your buck headphones, like hd201's, and when you look at it, a decent portable setup for something popular such as say an iPod could be rather cheap, like $100 for a cmoy or something, a pair of ksc75's and a 6" mini to mini and dock connector (I know I'm building a portable setup for about $100.)

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #18 of 20
For portable gear, small size and long battery live rule for most people. Most people simply don't want to carry an extra bulk (no matter how small) or having to worry about another battery running out. Indeed, when you're listening in a noisy street or on a noisy public-transport vehicle, the extra sound quality makes no difference.

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
Where is Time magazine? Where is the New York Times? Where is the BBC??

Headphone amps are an amazing phenomenon. They should be on the front page of ALL newspapers.
Where is the media on this amazing stuff!

Are you serious?

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
Couldn't have said it better.

Facts:

1. People don't think big headphones are cool.
4. Nobody outside of head-fi would be proud to own a mint-tin CMOY.

--Illah

I have managed to sell amps to fellow high schoolers... however, they like them because they make the music LOUDER not to make it sound better :-/ A few of them have big closed headphones for the isolation too. But in general, you are very correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back