Why are Headphone amps not mainstream?
Jul 21, 2006 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Where is Time magazine? Where is the New York Times? Where is the BBC??

Headphone amps are an amazing phenomenon. They should be on the front page of ALL newspapers. Instead, it's the usual news of bloodshed. Besides the usual blood that happens all the time that the media loves to report, as I am bored and desensitized, there is a lot of amazing stuff out there about the world of tubes and other great amps. Really amazing cutting edge stuff!

But the media ignores the cmoy, Headroom, Singlepower, Ray Samuels, Little Dot, etc... As a result, whenever I mention headphone amps to someone, they have no idea what I'm talking about and I end up having to explain to them what they are. When I mentioned tubes to my cousin the other day, she had no idea what I was talking about!

Where is the media on this amazing stuff!

Jul 21, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
Where is Time magazine? Where is the New York Times? Where is the BBC??

Headphone amps are an amazing phenomenon. They should be on the front page of ALL newspapers. Instead, it's the usual news of bloodshed. Besides the usual blood that happens all the time that the media loves to report, as I am bored and desensitized, there is a lot of amazing stuff out there about the world of tubes and other great amps. Really amazing cutting edge stuff!

But the media ignores the cmoy, Headroom, Singlepower, Ray Samuels, Little Dot, etc... As a result, whenever I mention headphone amps to someone, they have no idea what I'm talking about and I end up having to explain to them what they are. When I mentioned tubes to my cousin the other day, she had no idea what I was talking about!

Where is the media on this amazing stuff!

Here.

Jul 21, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Here.

All happy roads lead to Head-fi. All that political stuff's left to the rags and mags.

Jul 21, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 20
Cause "the man" is trying to hold them down.

(cap'n, where have you have gone?)

Jul 21, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 20
Why exactly would the media be covering headphone amps? They don't even cover headphones except as some ancillary part of their coverage on ipods. Reading too much of any forum warps your sense of how popular something actually is.

Jul 21, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by felixkrull6
Why exactly would the media be covering headphone amps? They don't even cover headphones except as some ancillary part of their coverage on ipods. Reading too much of any forum warps your sense of how popular something actually is.

Hah! That's more true than I'd like to admit. I remember not five months ago, before I stumbled across this website, reading a magazine article gushing about a phenomenon called "In-Ear Canals" & how the Shure E5c's were the finest modern headphone produced. Little did I know what awaited beyond the threshold.
580smile.gif

But hey, at least I finally found this place, so the story has a happy ending. And I've been fortunate enough to help a couple of other sojourners get lost here with me!

Jul 21, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 20
First, it's not a very spectacular subject. Second, not that many people are likely to care. Third, it's not like there's not a great deal of stuff which might be regarded as being more important which is not covered, such as morally dubious actions of certain companies and so forth.

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Reading too much of any forum warps your sense of how popular something actually is.

Couldn't have said it better.

Facts:

1. People don't think big headphones are cool.
2. People especially don't think that being an audiophile is cool.
3. People are interested in spending $1000 on this crap.
4. Nobody outside of head-fi would be proud to own a mint-tin CMOY.
5. The only 'cool' electronics are phones, digital cameras, and flat panel TVs.
6. Ninjas are mammals.
7. Ninjas fight ALL the time.
8. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

--Illah

Jul 21, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

This board has warped me! Help!
basshead.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
Couldn't have said it better.

Facts:
5. The only 'cool' electronics are phones, digital cameras, and flat panel TVs.

--Illah

So true. No one cares if you're using the built in speakers on your latest 60" 1080p plasma, so long as you have the TV.

Jul 22, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler
So true. No one cares if you're using the built in speakers on your latest 60" 1080p plasma, so long as you have the TV.

Glad you said that!

Sister in law just had me install here new plasma 50 inch tv. It had the worst built in audio I have heard since a single speaker AM radio!

It is designed to have the RCA's out to a surround system, but the built in was literally worse than the 5 inch Sony TV I have in my garage

Jul 22, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 20
One word: Cost.

Most people try to get away as cheaply as possible, therefore an amp, no matter how good it sounds, is just more money spent for no apparent benefit to 95% of the people.

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 20
because it makes nowhere close to enough of a difference to justify the money spent, and because only on head-fi and other audiophile hangouts does owning an orpheus boost your status

Jul 22, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnytimes
because it makes nowhere close to enough of a difference to justify the money spent, and because only on head-fi and other audiophile hangouts does owning an orpheus boost your status

so tru dat...i wuz a nobody until i got me the orpheus and now i am still a nobody but one step closer to being a somebody..cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back