Why are HD700's ~$500
Jul 31, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #16 of 34
  Oh let me guess. You really think an amp/dac is going to make a massive difference on the same level of two different headphone sound signatures right? You're one of those guys who probably think AC power cables make a difference in SQ too. Heh.

its like saying your car can run without engine.

oh hey, of course, you can push your car. see, you car still can move. who needs an engine. 

from your reply, and those example of can that you are using, i can safely assume that you use HD700 without amp.

come on..........facepalm..........

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #17 of 34
  its like saying your car can run without engine.

oh hey, of course, you can push your car. see, you car still can move. who needs an engine. 

from your reply, and those example of can that you are using, i can safely assume that you use HD700 without amp.

come on..........facepalm..........

Annnnnd my point was made and confirmed. Take care.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #19 of 34
And you have just proven that the product has no problem but it is a user error.

How will this happen?

When everyone can 'buy' something from the net and return a few days later. Same thing is happening in photography forum where people 'buy' and use for 3 days and return. Then they can 'advise' people in forum because they 'had' it before.

Gosh.

Annnnnd my point was made and confirmed. Take care.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #20 of 34
Why is the HD700 selling for $500?  When it was released, they made the mistake of doing a beta run.  They subsequently had a smear campaign orchestrated against them by a cunning group of malcontents who wanted to see if they could kill a product.  They coordinated opinions to systematically bring down the headphone and Sennheiser has payed for that the last few years.  Luckily, these rabble-rousers have since mostly been relegated to murkier corners of the internet where they are not as easily able to sow their seeds of malice and discord.  Were the HD700 released in today's market, with a more tolerant landscape, they would outsell the rest of the HD series and possibly remove the crown from the HD800's head as best dynamic flagship.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #22 of 34
Don't let the cart get ahead of the mule. The HD 700 doesn't de-crown anything. Even at $500. The bad reviews are all over the internet and still being written to this day.

He was being a little sarcastic it seems.

Anyhow, 700 is just like any other hp out there. Pluses and minuses. You have to decide if you like it, preferably by trying yourself.

Technically its a 1000$ hp, as i said before. If you happen to like its signature, good for you as you can score a clear upgrade over mid fi cans for mid fi price.

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #23 of 34
I don't like buying headphones from Amazon and returning them just to try them out. I feel like taking advantage of the system like that will bring tighter return policies and ruin good things for all of us, so just trying to do my part. 

Considering above statement, where in Los Angeles I can try these headphones? I have a Bang and Olufsen store near me in Pasadena CA here, but nearest Sennheiser dealer seems to be an hour or more away. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #24 of 34
The 700 ins't a bad headphone it just seems like most people either like it or don't.  Personally I didn't care for the sound as much.  My preference is 800, 650, 600, and then 700 in sound but comfort it is 800, 700, then 600/650.  I haven't found any flaws with it but just didn't like the sound signature personally but have talked to people that do really like it.  I would say give it a try and if you like it you got a great headphone at a great price and if not you aren't out much just shipping.  Technically the 700 is easier to drive than the 800.

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #25 of 34
  I don't like buying headphones from Amazon and returning them just to try them out. I feel like taking advantage of the system like that will bring tighter return policies and ruin good things for all of us, so just trying to do my part. 

Considering above statement, where in Los Angeles I can try these headphones? I have a Bang and Olufsen store near me in Pasadena CA here, but nearest Sennheiser dealer seems to be an hour or more away. 

Try looking for a best buy magnolia design center not magnolia home theater as they are a dealer and usually have demo ones out.  The Magnolia design centers are larger and keep more products out than the Magnolia Home Theater stores.

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #26 of 34
  Try looking for a best buy magnolia design center not magnolia home theater as they are a dealer and usually have demo ones out.  The Magnolia design centers are larger and keep more products out than the Magnolia Home Theater stores.

There is one 5 minutes from where I live, I'll probably check them out this weekend. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #27 of 34
  Why is the HD700 selling for $500?  When it was released, they made the mistake of doing a beta run.  They subsequently had a smear campaign orchestrated against them by a cunning group of malcontents who wanted to see if they could kill a product.  They coordinated opinions to systematically bring down the headphone and Sennheiser has payed for that the last few years.  Luckily, these rabble-rousers have since mostly been relegated to murkier corners of the internet where they are not as easily able to sow their seeds of malice and discord.  Were the HD700 released in today's market, with a more tolerant landscape, they would outsell the rest of the HD series and possibly remove the crown from the HD800's head as best dynamic flagship.

this just sum it up.

$500 vs $1500?

just like 
HD800 vs Sennheiser Orpheus. price matters.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #28 of 34
Is hd800 > hd650 for pop song?

Yes. It will absolutely murder it. The usual caveats about a decent chain apply, but honestly, it's not like the 650 is easy to drive well either. I suppose a particularly shrill, glassy-sounding playback chain with a badly recorded pop song might make the HD800 sound too bright on first listen, but I would take a HD800 over a 650 in any situation. I should say I own almost all Sennheiser high end phones from over the years, and my 650s were my main phones until I bought the HD800s.

My take on whether the HD700 is worth it.. it's pretty decent at $500, but I'm partial to the HD650's sound signature over the 700s, even though the 700 does some things technically better. The 700s are way more comfortable though. For $500 I would look for a pair of lightly used planars.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #29 of 34

technically its a $1000 hp. you wont get such refined dynamics, deep soundstage, detail in anything lesser.

it does require a specific type of amp that can control its treble, otherwise you wont be happy.

You will get these features for an order of magnitude less $.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #30 of 34
HD600 1996
HD650 2003
HD800 2008
HD700 2012

right, so i guess technology moved backwards. and that is the reason why nobody(literally) cares about music until ipod/iphone came out. 

so next HDXX0 headphone from sennheiser must be over $1500, else it will suffer the same fate like HD700 because it is not a flagship? 

so do you listen to music, or gear? so you match your gear with your music or the other way around? 

Quote:
  HD650 was once Sennheiser's flagship, and they made it to the best of their ability.  The HD700 was and will always be Sennheiser's attempt to make a high priced but purposefully gimped headphone so it wouldn't undermine their HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back