Why are flagship headphones so expensive now?
Dec 30, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #61 of 423
Not always the case.

Nothing ever is.
On the opposite side, you'll find hype seekers. People who need to believe there's a whole new level somewhere.
You can say those are deluded audiophiles, but in fact they get what they are looking for. They aren't being cheated to believe things.
They want someone telling them they are about to buy the whole new level of unparalleled performance, they don't want someone telling "you're about to buy something that's 8% better"

Some people want day by day horoscope predictions to be real, and thus they choose to believe. I wouldn't say they are deluded, they are consuming what they want/need.

They "cheat" themselves, yes they do get what they want, but that want isn't come from intelligent objective research, they almost "falling in love" with this stuff to put it mildly.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #62 of 423
Nothing ever is.
They "cheat" themselves, yes they do get what they want, but that want isn't come from intelligent objective research, they almost "falling in love" with this stuff to put it mildly.

Yep, that's how it works, and no matter how clearly you explain to them 32bit audio is senseless, they will still prefer the device that has a 32 printed in the box over the one that has a 24. Then companies should not only focus on making good sounding stuff, but also making stuff with fancy specs.

Back to headphones, some time ago in the Intro and Help sub forum someone wanted a flagship headphone with very big soundstage but forward upper midrange unlike the HD800. I suggested the K702 and the OP said he wanted a flagship, not a K702.
He preferred the flagship "status" over a similar performer with the type of sound he wanted.

In an hypothetical market where HD800S is priced at 499 usd, that guy is not interested anymore. Pricing does strange things.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #63 of 423
Going from K701 to HD800 is life changing experience.
Going from HD800 to K1000 and GS1000 is not.
Once you reach a certain level, differences are small, so that is why i think any headphones over 1000$ is not worth it * to the average person*
Obviously if you are rich you'll get the Utopoa no matter what.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #64 of 423
I personally think we (audiophiles) live in good times. You can get a fantastic sounding setup for very little in comparison to money value, say 10-15 years ago. And you will also notice that a lot of the equipment used these days was actually designed years ago too. But in the case of digital media, the advances have been huge in the last ten years. So much so, you can actually get a pretty good hi-fi sound straight out of your phone. Fast technology means competitive pricing.. But also means old technology becomes extremely affordable. Thats where folk like me snap the cheap old stock up and reap the benefits of being a couple of years behind.

Now a fool and his money will soon part as they say... But most of us audiophiles weren't born yesterday. Its not a hobby that you suddenly get in to. I bet anyone who is at least middle aged on here has spent most of their life owning quality gear for their music. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I wouldn't blind buy the most expensive equipment going - that would be madness. I would research, try out - learn about what I am going to buy just like any other time. It's got nothing to do with the price really. No-one is going to pay for something that doesn't seem worth it. We are not stupid. The most expensive hi-fi component I've bought was the HD800. £1000. That is crazy money for a pair of headphones my none audiophile friends would say - are you mad!! Its a pair of bloody headphones!! But the joy they have brought me is worth triple the amount I paid believe me.

Its worth mentioning also.. That we humans like to own luxurious items. We always have and we always will. We just need to look inside Tutankhamuns tomb for evidence of this. But there is a massive difference between having something that is gold plated for decoration, or gold plated for practical/beneficial reasons. Does walnut sound better than pine? etc etc. This is where the line has to be drawn in regards to sensibility or idiocy! (for look of a better word) hahaha. Aesthetics are always going to be important but never at the "expense" of what the objective is. And that objective is sound quality.      

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #65 of 423
It's actually people with limited experience who fall into the hype and who are easily moved by sales people and marketing. Look at the people spending $300 on Beats headphones. I even had friends asking to buy the HD 650 out of nowhere. It's probably due to something they had read online without hearing most of the headphones on the market and arriving at that conclusion.

True audiophiles that I know who own speaker systems that cost more than house are actually very knowledgable and they have seen and heard it all. It's from them I learned about Beryllium drivers as the best speakers I have ever heard use Beryllium tweeters, which is where my interest in the Focal Utopia came from since I heard how it's leading the field in the speaker scene with my own ears. Somehow those audiophiles already knew that based on their experience. My ears don't always agree with them, but alot of times I hear the same thing. But it's really a waste of money. I rather buy a 2nd home for that kind of money.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #66 of 423
^^ Good point. But I would also argue that the people who buy Beats aren't audiophiles.  And the marketing for Beats is not audiophile - but fashion. Flagship headphones from reputable companies and the pricing is something altogether different. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #67 of 423
I looked up price of Beryllium on Wikipedia, it's $7.48/gram.  I don't know how many grams of Beryllium are used in tweeters, but I don't think it is what makes speakers or headphones costly. Maybe the manufacturing process is costly.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #68 of 423
It's actually people with limited experience who fall into the hype and who are easily moved by sales people and marketing. Look at the people spending $300 on Beats headphones. I even had friends asking to buy the HD 650 out of nowhere. It's probably due to something they had read online without hearing most of the headphones on the market and arriving at that conclusion.

True audiophiles that I know who own speaker systems that cost more than house are actually very knowledgable and they have seen and heard it all. It's from them I learned about Beryllium drivers as the best speakers I have ever heard use Beryllium tweeters, which is where my interest in the Focal Utopia came from since I heard how it's leading the field in the speaker scene with my own ears. Somehow those audiophiles already knew that based on their experience. My ears don't always agree with them, but alot of times I hear the same thing. But it's really a waste of money. I rather buy a 2nd home for that kind of money.

Spending as much as a house doesnt make you a "True" audiophile nor does it make you knowledgable.

I,ve seen so called "True" audiophiles running their speakers out of phase
tongue.gif

I,m in the market for a TOTL speaker set and rejected the Grande simply because it sounds very unnatural. Its got a big ethereal and floaty sound which is very pleasing to those who have never heard a TOTL setup but is it true to source? No.

The B&W Nautilus "Supersnail" got better results in that regard. Much more natural and organic sounding without that artificial huge sound the Grande creates.

Mind you, I run a TOTL car setup from Focal thats worth more than a lot of brand new cars  but the Be tweeter isnt the end all and be all. Yamaha did it before Focal was even born.

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #70 of 423
Spending as much as a house doesnt make you a "True" audiophile nor does it make you knowledgable.

I,ve seen so called "True" audiophiles running their speakers out of phase:p

I,m in the market for a TOTL speaker set and rejected the Grande simply because it sounds very unnatural. Its got a big ethereal and floaty sound which is very pleasing to those who have never heard a TOTL setup but is it true to source? No.

The B&W Nautilus "Supersnail" got better results in that regard. Much more natural and organic sounding without that artificial huge sound the Grande creates.

Mind you, I run a TOTL car setup from Focal thats worth more than a lot of brand new cars  but the Be tweeter isnt the end all and be all. Yamaha did it before Focal was even born.

Try out Magico's if you get the chance, best speaker I have heard so far. I'm not saying Be is the end all be all since I haven't heard all the TOTL speakers yet so my experience is quite limited and thus needs to be taken with a grain of salt. But so far it is the best I have heard with my ears.

Not all audiophiles are knowlegdable ofcourse, but the ones I know, seem to know alot.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #71 of 423
images

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #72 of 423
I believe there is truth to the earlier reply that if a company prices their items higher the user expects that much more quality - especially for high end audio. Does at $3000 Amp sound 10 times better or have more functionality than a $300 model. Because high end audio manufacturers sell much less units, they do have to charge more.

Does anyone know how to create a new thread on this site. I'm trying to find out if any company manufactures an audio switching device (maybe as a switch box?) that allows several audio devices to be switched to one output. (3.5 mm). Say several iPods input to one headphone output.

Thank you

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #73 of 423
I believe there is truth to the earlier reply that if a company prices their items higher the user expects that much more quality - especially for high end audio. Does at $3000 Amp sound 10 times better or have more functionality than a $300 model. Because high end audio manufacturers sell much less units, they do have to charge more.

Does anyone know how to create a new thread on this site. I'm trying to find out if any company manufactures an audio switching device (maybe as a switch box?) that allows several audio devices to be switched to one output. (3.5 mm). Say several iPods input to one headphone output.

Thank you

I think its funny many people think this way
just because something costs Twice as much or 10 times as much does not equate to it being that much times better.

a $2 hotdog wont be twice as better than a $1 hotdog
nor is a $1000 amp twice as better as a $500 amp.

With everything there will be diminishing returns

I drive a Prius It takes me from A to B I like what it does and its value.
I cannot afford a fancy car like say a Ferrari. and I do not think of it as 10x better (costs 10x more)
I can however afford nice headphones and nice amps. and I say they are worth the money over cheaper ones.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #74 of 423
Dec 31, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #75 of 423
Costco hot dog will beat any ballpark hot dog and cost probably a third of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back