Why are Bose SoundTrue rated so much higher than Head-Fi Recommended?
Oct 26, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 30
I bought bose soundtrue in ear last week. They work for me. They sound is great. I'm not a bose homer either. As a matter of fact, this is the first product of bose I have bought. I paid 70$ on amazon.

There the most natural sounding in ear earphones i've ever owned. I'm not saying I'm an expert on headphones, but I do have 5 pair of headphones. Like I said, I don't have the most experience on headphones. Although, these are the most comfortable and best balanced sounding. Most of the headphones I've owned are to bass heavy, muddy sounding. I own audio techinica, brainwavz, JVC, and some cheapies.

I hope I didn't offend anybody after all this is just my opinion.

On a side note, a lot of people who shop on Amazon are very knowledgeable because you can get just about anything from Amazon.

I was thinking about getting the soundtrue on ear to. They seem pretty comfortable and sounds pretty decent

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #17 of 30
I just got the Bose Soundtrue Around-Ear II because I needed a portable set of around ears that sounded good. And I love them. Worth the $179 I paid for them-Sure I could've gotten better sound quality for the price but I needed portability and these are super nice for sound quality and portability. If you haven't gotten the on-ear then I'd suggest getting the Over-Ear, they cost the same but sound a little more fuller. Unless you want them to be super compact. In which case go for the on-ear. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #18 of 30
For sound and comfort this headphone is very good. I use them for all my audio needs and sound is very crisp,clean with a very nice bass. Overall for me sonic quality is nicely balanced. I have used Akg, Sennheiser, Sony,Share, Beyerdinamics compared with these other headphones Bose can easily hold their own against those cans.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #19 of 30
I got the Bose sound link on ear Bluetooth as a xmas present and it's been my daily driver ever since, it is easily and I mean easily the best sounding Bluetooth headphone I've ever heard.

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #20 of 30
  Hi everyone,

I'm puzzled as to why Bose SoundTrue headphones have a higher average customer rating on amazon (4.5/5) than Head-Fi recommended entry-level IEMs specified here.

For example:
Shure SE215 (http://amzn.com/B004PNZFZ8), 4.1/5
- JAYS a-JAYS Five (http://amzn.com/B00GFGF0WG), 3.2/5
Etymotic HF5 (http://amzn.com/B000XPG2QI), 4.1/5

I try not to put too much faith into customer reviews, but was hoping someone could help me understand why the Bose SoundTrues are rated so high and yet are not recommended on the headphone buying guide. 

Bose have consumer friendly sound signature that is hyped in bass, slightly recessed treble and midrange. Many headphones here in Head-Fi have close to neutral sound signature which means tight and textured bass and "perceived louder" treble (despite being not boosted) and to someone who hears dark sounding speakers/headphones throughout their life say those neutral sounding headphone sucks. Many people don't aim for close to studio sound (which sounds treble emphasized even tough treble isn't boosted). Heck even my friend prefers the sound of his Bose compared to my AKGs even if the AKGs reveals way more details and layering in the sound compared to his Bose due to him feeling that the sound doesn't have bass and just full of treble.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #22 of 30
Here are my two cents on the topic: my first pair of headphones were the Bose IE2, and I loved them. That was before I was enlightened by the Sennheiser HD 598 I picked up on Amazon Prime day. The IE2's were getting kind of old, so I thought I would get another pair of in-ears, and I settled on the Soundsport because they were half off, again, on Prime Day. Now I have realized how ****ty the Soundsport pair is; they sound so bad compared to the Sennheiser, and I do not own any other audio equipment. I am actually looking to get rid of the Soundsports now, and hopefully pick up something better!

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #23 of 30
It's a sound signature like a wearable loudness button, designed to appeal immediately, but fares very poorly with anyone that has a decent basis for comparison. The comfort is spot-on, and the "lies to children" marketing is near genius, but the sound? It's like McDonald's for the ears, sadly. If you have a palette that responds to that stuff, you'll enjoy them until you get too exposed to something better (assuming that you don't have cloth ears).

End of rant.

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #24 of 30
It's a sound signature like a wearable loudness button, designed to appeal immediately, but fares very poorly with anyone that has a decent basis for comparison. The comfort is spot-on, and the "lies to children" marketing is near genius, but the sound? It's like McDonald's for the ears, sadly. If you have a palette that responds to that stuff, you'll enjoy them until you get too exposed to something better (assuming that you don't have cloth ears).

End of rant.

How has Bose become so well known in the world? There not like beats who are celebrity endorsed.

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #25 of 30
How has Bose become so well known in the world? There not like beats who are celebrity endorsed.

Very expensive/good marketing.. adverts in glossy places, demographic targeting. It's slightly awe-inspiring. Try flying business class without seeing an advert for their headphones, for example.. it's harder than you think. Also,  they have the Bose shops, which are bright and shiny, all about dazzling the ill-informed (seriously, try visiting one). If they were half as good at making headphones as they were at marketing, they'd be dangerous.

Also, they have many many years of head start on Beats. They have been at it for longer than anyone cares to think about.

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #26 of 30
I understand everyone's point of view. I will say this I just started, I don't know any better than Bose and sound is very subjective....I just bought the QC 35 and I am actually going to return them. They are geniuses for marketing...why? If I don't order a pain of Sennheiser's I will never be able to listen to them and compare....I can compare el chepo skull candy but not good quality Headphones, because there is no where to go in order to listen to them. I will take my time and read and try stuff, but when you are shelling over $400 for most cans, It would be nice to be able to take a listen to them. So the average consumer will walk into any store and try on a pair of Bose or Beats coming from Samsung or $20 free Apple in-ear phones and think they have arrived. Hell, if it wasn't for the Hi-Fi DAC on the LG V20 phone I never knew there was a whole world of audio that existed. I will be changing my point of view but try telling this to the masses. I still wish there were dedicated brick and mortar stores that carried 2 or 3 high end headphones. It would make life easier and people would have a better understanding of sound. The audio world needs to step up their game in terms of marketing. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #27 of 30
  I understand everyone's point of view. I will say this I just started, I don't know any better than Bose and sound is very subjective....I just bought the QC 35 and I am actually going to return them. They are geniuses for marketing...why? If I don't order a pain of Sennheiser's I will never be able to listen to them and compare....I can compare el chepo skull candy but not good quality Headphones, because there is no where to go in order to listen to them. I will take my time and read and try stuff, but when you are shelling over $400 for most cans, It would be nice to be able to take a listen to them. So the average consumer will walk into any store and try on a pair of Bose or Beats coming from Samsung or $20 free Apple in-ear phones and think they have arrived. Hell, if it wasn't for the Hi-Fi DAC on the LG V20 phone I never knew there was a whole world of audio that existed. I will be changing my point of view but try telling this to the masses. I still wish there were dedicated brick and mortar stores that carried 2 or 3 high end headphones. It would make life easier and people would have a better understanding of sound. The audio world needs to step up their game in terms of marketing. 

Totally understand your point...WAY back in the day I bought a pair of Bose headphones,thinking they were the pinnacle of earphones.It wasnt until I moved to Thailand,where there are several brick and mortar shops that carried hundreds of headphones one could try out...super high end stuff(STAX,Abyss) as well as others that I realized Bose wasnt the end game headphone to own..

I have tried to get my hifi dealer out here in Long Island to carry multiple set ups for auditioning....he refuses.He says im the only person that calls about headphones and although he carries Sennheiser and Audeze,he says he sells way more Beats and Grados....I try explaining thats because he has ZERO headphone amps that can properly drive an HD800 or LCD-4 they arent gonna sound good plugged straight into an IPhone.....he just doesnt get it.

He says if he was on 5th street in NYC it might be different,and I understand his point to an extent.

The masses have been brainwashed into thinking Bose and Beats are Da Bomb

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #28 of 30
 I am a marketing guy and was doing some research on consumer side with Bose in my mind. I came across an interesting term "psychoacoustics" its how Bose delivers.

Word actually means -  Perception of Sound, and psychological effects. So Bose delivers in regular audio people more about that.

Just my two bits :)

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #29 of 30
I actually traded my amperior for bose qc15 and love it!

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #30 of 30
I have a Bose soundtrue around the ears cans , i tried some v-moda which were too dark for my taste and some momentum which wasn't that great. The other headphones i really liked were some Sony 1r which but i got these Bose for a good price and they are really comfortable and sound wise they are good.
Now i want good in ear earphones i got some 1more 1m301 which everybody recommend but i don't like them, they don't sound natural. If i don't get the onkyo e700m, v-moda metallo or momentum i might get the Bose soundtrue ultra which also are cheaper than onkyo and v-moda (just basing on the good reviews it have).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back