Why are Beyerdynamic Pro models so much cheaper?
Aug 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

GotNoRice

100+ Head-Fier
I really don't understand why Beyerdynamic's Pro models are so much cheaper

Consider DT990-Pro 250ohm vs DT990 250ohm (consumer model)

DT990-Pro 250ohm can be found for ~$160 whereas the consumer model goes for more like $300.  That's not a tiny difference, that's almost twice the price...

Everything about the difference in sound signature between the two seems to be a result of the Pro's having more clamping force.  Well if you think the Pro's have too much clamping force, the headband is just a piece of metal that you can easily straighten out a bit so that it will clamp less.

It's a similar story when you compare the DT770 vs the DT770-Pro.

I love my DT990-Pros but I'm not sure I would have ever bought them if my only option was to purchase a consumer pair for twice the price.

The only other reason I could see maybe buying a consumer model is if you really wanted the 600ohm version (or another Ohm rating not available in Pro), but I would feel like a real tool if I bought the 250ohm consumer version of the DT990 or DT770.  Is there any reason other than simple ignorance as to why someone would?

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
generally the price difference is between the 250 ohm and 600ohm version. 

Nope.

Comparing just 250ohm models:

Consumer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00193FT26/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1376328053&sr=8-2
Pro: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0011UB9CQ/ref=dp_olp_new_map?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1376328053&sr=8-2

Half the price.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 17
The Premium are more expensive because they are aesthetically better, with more accessories? i never felt a huge sound difference vs the pro models. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 17
I think the answer is fairly simple, Beyerdynamic wants to make profit (which is fine by me). If Beyerdynamic can label a headphone "Premium" and sell it for a higher price, let them.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
I would also like to know the answer to this. I agree, the 990 Pro's look silly compared to the Premiums, but do they sound identical?

Like i said before, when i used the DT880 pro and compared vs a premium, there was only slight differences. The 880pro clamping force was stronger, and probably that was the cause on the small increase of bass. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Like i said before, when i used the DT880 pro and compared vs a premium, there was only slight differences. The 880pro clamping force was stronger, and probably that was the cause on the small increase of bass. 

I have seen many people commenting on the increase clamping pressure. So far that seems to be the only difference (obviously this will create sonic differences due to the distance from the driver).

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
I think the answer is fairly simple, Beyerdynamic wants to make profit (which is fine by me). If Beyerdynamic can label a headphone "Premium" and sell it for a higher price, let them.

No one is talking about preventing them from selling anything.  That doesn't mean a consumer who wants to make an educated purchase has to spend $140 for a different color of plastic on the outside of the headphones either.

Aesthetics is a good reason, but is it a $140 reason? I personally prefer the industrial look of the Pro versions.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
I would also like to know the answer to this. I agree, the 990 Pro's look silly compared to the Premiums, but do they sound identical?

I would guess the internal hardware (diaphragm) of the Premium 250-Ohm matches the Pro 250-Ohm.
Beyer just dresses up the outside differently.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Aesthetics is a good reason, but is it a $140 reason? I personally prefer the industrial look of the Pro versions.

You know, some people don't mind paying extra money to have a headphone that looks great. I don't care how industrial or retro a headphone looks, unless i use it on the street. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 17
I chose the 990 Pro 250ohm because it was less expensive AND cooler looking.  The clamping force is stronger.... but can be gently tailored to fit.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 17
I don't like the stronger clamp, and I can't stand the coiled cable, but those issues don't warrant a $140 premium. Regardless, retailers have always found ways to sell the same items at different prices because they know that some consumers will hunt for the lowest price while others can't be bothered to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back