why america is fat
Dec 29, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #16 of 84
we work/commute too much. eating on the go is not healthy when it has to be fast food/ready preped. I know i eat in my car almost everyday mostly something that was cooked by a microwave or drive through on my way to work. Its either that or dont eat my first meal of the day. id have to wake up an extra hr early to prepare something healthy. Right now i only get about 7 or 6 hrs, so i dont wanna give that hr up. thankfully im maintaining at about 200 and im 5'10 5'11" im not really worried about the weight more about high blood pressure and diabetes.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #17 of 84
I just got the book "French women don't get fat", which is an interesting point of view for maintaining your weight. I am now trying to eat like French people. American way of eating is not good, even though I do like American food. I am now trying to be like a French person.

Traditional French way of eating is really enjoying and appreciating the freshness and quality of food. All these snacks like chips, nachos, etc is an American thing. I went to Mexico and the local people there don't even eat nacho chips!

Live like the French and stay thin.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #18 of 84
americans are fat because they use this:

2002-honda-civic-sedan.jpg

To the exclusion of these:

shoe_anatomy.gif

mercier1.jpg

I live in a microscopic town. It's shocking the short distances that people will drive to avoid walking. It's downright humorous sometimes. My (fat) ex-roommate used to ask me to give him rides to school....you could kit the quad from our front door with a potatoe gun.

Dec 29, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #19 of 84
Quote:

I live in a microscopic town. It's shocking the short distances that people will drive to avoid walking.

I know!! I've seen people in my neighborhood get in their car and drive 100 feet down to their neighbor's house, instead of just walking there! It's so pathetic. I probably walk 4-6 miles per day, and I'm one of the few people living here that does.

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #20 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
only in a baby is your stomach the size of your fist..the adult stomach is larger.....

Not completely. Your stomach size depends on how much you use it. If you ate meals, about the size of one cup, each meal, your stomach would be aprox. the size of a fist.

If you ate meals, where your having portions such as, a whole pizza, a whole chicken, a whole bag of chips, and a few candy bars, then your stomach will grow beyond a fist size, and remain that way, until it shrinks back down, (which is usually never does, as people continue to eat at that rate or more)

I can eat a good whacking, but for the amount I eat, compared to other people who eat the same, I would guess my stomach is smaller, based on eating aprox. eight to nine meals a day. compared to some people who eat that same amount, over a four to five meal day

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #21 of 84
Part of the issue is that a serving size isn't supposed to constitute a meal. Take the Mac and Cheese for an example. It's supposed to be a side with (usually) a main protein (grilled chicken) and a carb (rice or bread) finish that off and you'll probably be full.

I noticed that while I was in Europe, almost every meal started off with a salad, usually with oil and vinegar, munch on some bread for a while, then your main course comes out. In addition to the multi-course meal, people also ate slower and talked more, which probably allowed more time for the signal to tell the brain "I'm full" It also lowers your stress level...

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #22 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That 50 miles a day aren't going to do any good when his cholesterol gets too high from all the junk and clogs his arteries.
biggrin.gif

I see. Well, the point I was trying to make was that portion control works better with some than it does with others. The time in my life when I felt I was the healthiest and most physically fit, I ate SO much more food than I do now. I did eat relatively healthy foods, though. I would have at least three real meals a day and, believe me, I had huge helpings. At one point, even after eating as much food as I could stand everyday, I was still losing weight. I actually cut back on running because I didn't want to lose any muscle mass.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.01/ultraman.html

I would guess he burns it off so fast, that its not even an option to clog. He would be eating more "correct" fats, then caked with trans. and sat. fats.

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #24 of 84
It's pretty simple really, just make sure you eat healthy, that means no processed foods, pre-packaged meals etc and burn off your daily intake through work or exercise, or perhaps even get off your arse and use those two fleshy appendages on the bottom of your legs for doing more than just pressing the accelerator pedal.

I do a manual job and also cycle a few hundred miles each week whilst eating constantly and i still manage to have the same waist size i had when i was 16 (18years ago-gulp!).

Big breakfast of muesli, followed by 4 slices of wholemeal toast with butter (no hydrogenated fats) and fresh espresso.

Nuts, fruit and water to snack on till lunch.

For lunch usually a wholemeal sandwich with feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, basil, olives and oven baked crispy veg, followed by fruit and more espresso.

Nuts, fruit and water to snack on till tea.

For tea usually wholemeal pasta/brown rice with roasted mix veg and either an arrabiata sauce or mix veg curry and pickles, and a decent bottle of wine
biggrin.gif

Nuts, fruit and water to snack on till supper.

For supper usually a couple of slices of wholemeal toast with banana.

It's so easy to get in the routine of coming home from work absolutely knackered and grabbing a plastic dinner from the freezer but you are killing yourself slowly by eating processed food, the human body has evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to be able to survive on a varied diet but what we have been shoving down our our gullets over the past 40 odd years is criminal, mass produced/processed foods have no place in our dietary requirements.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #25 of 84
Wheres the meat?
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #27 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the last 50 years Europeans and Japanese on average grew 1 inch. Americans have not....not hard to figure out the US is eating like crap.

Recent studies have shown, japanese "bust" size in women has increased from an average (A+,B-) size up to a (B+,C) over the last 20 years, this is due to massive increase in fast foods.. ie mcdonalds and burger king ect..

This is great for me as i get serious mahogany over those cute school girls with slightly oversized Wab's...

To the question, the serving sizes are ridiculous..
but only in the states do you get those labels Crammed in your faces.
were lucky in UE.. perhaps we dont get treated as kids so much.

Most of us can try to stomach as much as the average american does per sitting, knowing full well if we sit down and read a book or watch some tv, that supersized meal will go straight to our Buttocks.

I was 106kg,s within 2 months i went down to 75kg,s weight goes up and down very easily. what i have come to learn is that it takes very little for you to get a "worm in the tummy" so to speak..

soon as these holidays started i went from being able to eat only 2 small square meals a day working 16+ hour shifts 3-6 days a week.. and not being "hungry" all the time.. only a little bit hungry

within a week im back to having to eat every 2-3 hours
And i feel Friggin starving. just Must eat..

I know it will go back to normal again when i start working in a few days.
Can't stand this eating stuff all the time..
it costs to much, you need to poop all the time,tired for 2 hours after eating because im so full.

Will power.
cant just sit there and eat and expect the fat faireys to come suck that stuff away...

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #28 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopShelf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not completely. Your stomach size depends on how much you use it. If you ate meals, about the size of one cup, each meal, your stomach would be aprox. the size of a fist.

If you ate meals, where your having portions such as, a whole pizza, a whole chicken, a whole bag of chips, and a few candy bars, then your stomach will grow beyond a fist size, and remain that way, until it shrinks back down, (which is usually never does, as people continue to eat at that rate or more)

I can eat a good whacking, but for the amount I eat, compared to other people who eat the same, I would guess my stomach is smaller, based on eating aprox. eight to nine meals a day. compared to some people who eat that same amount, over a four to five meal day

http://www.mamashealth.com/organs/stomach.asp
the stomach is a muscle..an adult stomach will not be the size of a fist unless it is surgically altered. of course this could have changed since i graduated from medical school
biggrin.gif

http://www.annecollins.com/weight-lo...ce-stomach.htm
sorry for the cheesy references...but hey it answers the questions for the layman

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #29 of 84
I've always been a big fan of eating when I'm hungry as well, like Piccolo said. If that's 4 meals a day, then awesome; it could also be 2 meals, or maybe even one large one! I've actually forgotten to eat because I didn't feel it. You can do everything in life with moderation. The greatest part about my philosophy is that I eat anything and everything I want, and I've been about 130 lbs for a couple of years now

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #30 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.mamashealth.com/organs/stomach.asp
the stomach is a muscle..an adult stomach will not be the size of a fist unless it is surgically altered. of course this could have changed since i graduated from medical school
biggrin.gif

http://www.annecollins.com/weight-lo...ce-stomach.htm
sorry for the cheesy references...but hey it answers the questions for the layman

Ill take the beating on the stomach being bigger then a fist, and the stomach stays big for a long period of time. Ive read that, so assumed so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back