why america is fat
Dec 29, 2006 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

Headphoneus Supremus
this is a old story but once again i was shocked...
i dont know about the rest of you but when i make a box of kraft mac'n cheese i eat the whole damn thing by myself...now when i look it doesnt seem too bad..380 calories a serving but oops there are 3 servings in the box. each serving has 23% of rec daily fat intake x 3 servings is 69% and this is a lighter lunch...
same thing with microwave popcorn..2.5 servings a bag...
even the little sapporo ichiban ramen...3 damn servings for that little package..
i dont know who determines a serving size but i think it is determined by how to not make the caloric and fat intake too egregious because those "serving sizes" are unrealistic unless i am the only one who is a pig..
any things you think should be labeled as one serving but isnt?

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 84
there was a pbs frontline on tuesday about diets. they covered a lot of diets including atkins and south beach, but the only people they talked too who seemed to make sense was the harvard school of public health.

here is their food pyramid, and some plain explanantion of current thinking in nutrition.

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 84
I don't really worry about calories, or serving sizes, or even what I'm eating really. I just eat when I feel hungry, and stop when I feel full. I've had no problems maintaining a weight of precisely 160lbs. I also get a fair amount of exercise every day.

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 84
I tend to agree with Piccolo - eat when you feel like you're hungry for the most part and drink lots of water. I lost 25 pounds that way this past summer and havn't gained it back yet (nor do I plan to). For the most part, people know what is or isn't healthy for them, it's just a matter of a simple choice of eating what when. So, just choose when to eat what wisely and I think people will be fine.

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really worry about calories, or serving sizes, or even what I'm eating really. I just eat when I feel hungry, and stop when I feel full. I've had no problems maintaining a weight of precisely 160lbs. I also get a fair amount of exercise every day.

You're not prone to be overweight. Some people don't feel "full" as fast as you and their calorie intake is higher forcing them to do more excercise than you to maintain a healthy weight. There are also those who intake a reasonable amount of calories and their bodies don't metabolize those calories like your's does. They would also have to do more excercise to maintain a healthy weight. There are many, though, that just eat terrible food in terrible quantities (Like me). I'm pretty overweight, but I get a lot of excercise as I do physical work every day so I really don't ever gain weight. When I was in high school I was big into eating healthy and I did an extreme amount of excercise and weight training. I actually had to eat a lot more than I do now in order to keep myself gaining muscular and cardiovascular strength. Nowdays, my friends at work always comment on how little I eat compared to them and yet I'm such a big guy. I would have to do a lot more excercise than I do right now to start losing weight consistantly, but my food intake would probably go up as I started exercising more.

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 84
I eat alot, but I would have to say the serving sizes are around where they should be. Your stomach is about the size of your fist, give or take. And a serving, is more or less that size as well. In most health books I read, a fistfull of food, is the right amount.

Im big into being fit, and eating right, but like the previous post, I east alot, if I workout, and stay fit during the day. I could honestly eat nonstop, and use that for energy.

I just saw an article, where a guy, who runs 50 miles a day, eats 9000 calories a day, such as junk food, like pizza, chocolate, and all that, and burns it right off. He is in amazing shape, well built. So all in all, its not so much how you eat, but how much you burn off

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now when i look it doesnt seem too bad..380 calories a serving but oops there are 3 servings in the box. each serving has 23% of rec daily fat intake x 3 servings is 69% and this is a lighter lunch...
same thing with microwave popcorn..2.5 servings a bag...

I know, it sucks. I have noticed the same damn thing. If you want to see a REALLY nasty example of this, look at the nutrition facts on a bag of fritos from a vending machine. -.-

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopShelf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I eat alot, but I would have to say the serving sizes are around where they should be. Your stomach is about the size of your fist, give or take. And a serving, is more or less that size as well. In most health books I read, a fistfull of food, is the right amount.

Im big into being fit, and eating right, but like the previous post, I east alot, if I workout, and stay fit during the day. I could honestly eat nonstop, and use that for energy.

I just saw an article, where a guy, who runs 50 miles a day, eats 9000 calories a day, such as junk food, like pizza, chocolate, and all that, and burns it right off. He is in amazing shape, well built. So all in all, its not so much how you eat, but how much you burn off

only in a baby is your stomach the size of your fist..the adult stomach is larger.....

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 84
my family has more or less removed snack food temptation. every 'quick' bite is something healthy ex: fruit, leftover meat, etc. instead of chips or cookies. started with my brother for wrestling purposes, but we just have sort of hung on to it.

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 84
Quote:

You're not prone to be overweight.

You know, I used to weigh more than 200lbs. (I am 5'11'' tall). I ate like a pig and was well on my way to becoming a fat person. My pants were tight, my gut was large, and my jawline was disappearing quickly. I eventually got tired of the way I looked and felt, and decided enough was enough. I started walking and doing aerobic workout tapes every day, and I cut down my soda and candy intake siginificantly. Within weeks, I had dropped my weight from 203 to 180. After reading an online article about "intuitive eating", I decided to try it out, and lost another 20lbs, and I've been stable ever since. It wasn't easy, but it was worth the effort.

Quote:

Some people don't feel "full" as fast as you and their calorie intake is higher forcing them to do more excercise than you to maintain a healthy weight.

It can take as long as half an hour for the stomach to signal the brain that it is full. I know I don't always feel full as soon as I'm finished with my helping. People need to eat more slowly so this signal can function properly.

Quote:

There are also those who intake a reasonable amount of calories and their bodies don't metabolize those calories like yours does.

Who says I have a high metabolism? I could easily be very overweight, if I let myself go. But I don't. I only eat enough for basic bodily maintenance. I'll never go back to the way I was before.

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 84
Im convinced that an average size person eating by the serving sizes would eventually find themselves starving and at an almost anorexic body weight. they just pick the sizes that make their food look healthier.

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 84
Seriously - serving sizes means crap. Last time I checked we weren't all built exactly alike.

I'm your classic ectomorph - I try to put in at least 3000 a day (+ exercise, of course) and I'm only ever so sloooowly putting on lbs.

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #15 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopShelf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That 50 miles a day aren't going to do any good when his cholesterol gets too high from all the junk and clogs his arteries.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I used to weigh more than 200lbs. (I am 5'11'' tall). I ate like a pig and was well on my way to becoming a fat person.

I see. Well, the point I was trying to make was that portion control works better with some than it does with others. The time in my life when I felt I was the healthiest and most physically fit, I ate SO much more food than I do now. I did eat relatively healthy foods, though. I would have at least three real meals a day and, believe me, I had huge helpings. At one point, even after eating as much food as I could stand everyday, I was still losing weight. I actually cut back on running because I didn't want to lose any muscle mass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back