Why all the hate?
Jun 14, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #17 of 87
I just have to say... In a community renowned for holding onto vinyl other forms of legacy tech you think there's a chance some might not be tech-literate? Compared to what I call tech-literate? I'd say most aren't. However, there's people who know more than me who think I'm barely literate.

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #21 of 87

Quote:
did it 20 times on 2 different pairs. nothing. did i get the only functioning asus stx in existence lol?

Don't complain, be thankful
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #23 of 87
I think it could be to different revision boards,
I had several motherboards from Asus, sometimes the same board has different revisions,
also remember having the same board, with the same revision, but one was Made in Taiwan and the other Made in China(written on the pcb), the Taiwanese board had clearer solder points and was a better overclocker,
probably a coincidence, but from that time I always check if the Asus board is made in Taiwan, which is  a rarity lately...

It could be useful if people could post the full name or numbers written on the pcb,
other than that various combination between components inside a pc can cause problems, I remember conflicts between Creative cards and some nForce chipsets
honestly I dont believe people who buy a 200$ soundcard dont know to install it

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #25 of 87
No hatin here.
I almost pulled the trigger on this soundcard a year ago for my desktop music server.
The specs and it's rep at it's price point are truly impressive.
But knowing what a pain reconfiguring a pc can be (since the card isnt 100% plug & play),
I decided to go with an external solution. No regrets there.
FWIW, I was also spooked about possible internal pc noise, hum and grounding issues.
I also desired an optically isolated interconnect. Previously I had experienced a lot of internal noise
and drop outs while using my plain-jane laptop as a music server. I'm sure it was inadequate for the task at hand.

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #26 of 87
No hatin here.
I almost pulled the trigger on this soundcard a year ago for my desktop music server.
The specs and it's rep at it's price point are truly impressive.
But knowing what a pain reconfiguring a pc can be (since the card isnt 100% plug & play),
I decided to go with an external solution. No regrets there.
FWIW, I was also spooked about possible internal pc noise, hum and grounding issues.
I also desired an optically isolated interconnect. Previously I had experienced a lot of internal noise
and drop outs while using my plain-jane laptop as a music server. I'm sure it was inadequate for the task at hand.

the asus is shielded lol. that fancy black case isn't a heatsink or some lame art piece it's functional :wink:

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #27 of 87

Quote:
He didn't seem, to me, to be implying they are wrong, but rather that due to the complicated nature of the card its very likely people were shrugging it off as junk when in fact they had likely not taken enough time to learn it and set it up appropriately.

I've never tried it, but I suspect I'd get on that list very quickly. I buy things like DACs and headphone amps to listen to music not to screw around with all the installation steps/issues that have been described here. I'm not computer illiterate, but I don't like having my time wasted, either. Just for starters -- I need a secondary piece of software to purge my system of all existing audio drivers before the thing will install? It can't find its own driver if there is anything else in the system?

YMMV, but that is a pretty functional definition of "junk" to me, in a world full of DAC/amps you can simply plug in and listen to.

P

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #29 of 87
Helpful, but just the word "install" can be enough to set off my alarms. I can take out a hard drive and replace it, boot from my backup and be right back where I was with a lot more space to play, but "install" in a Windows machine causes red flags to pop up all over my little luddite brain. Glad it worked out for you and I can certainly understand the appeal of having everything you need in the box instead of on the desktop.

P

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #30 of 87
I've never tried it, but I suspect I'd get on that list very quickly. I buy things like DACs and headphone amps to listen to music not to screw around with all the installation steps/issues that have been described here. I'm not computer illiterate, but I don't like having my time wasted, either. Just for starters -- I need a secondary piece of software to purge my system of all existing audio drivers before the thing will install? It can't find its own driver if there is anything else in the system?

YMMV, but that is a pretty functional definition of "junk" to me, in a world full of DAC/amps you can simply plug in and listen to.

P

It's not like there is an elaborate setup time every time you want to listen, just before the first install

Users who are viewing this thread

Back