Why 24 bit audio and anything over 48k is not only worthless, but bad for music.
Jun 14, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #527 of 3,525
The only difference I see is that the one on the left has double the frequency range.  All that stuff above 20 kHz is useless and doesn't add anything to the sound quality.  That's why you can't hear the difference, it is all inaudible, what little of it there is.  The original recording doubtless did not use equipment that could record above 20 kHz anyway, so what all that stuff even is I have no idea.  It surely was not part of the recording process.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #528 of 3,525
  The only difference I see is that the one on the left has double the frequency range.  All that stuff above 20 kHz is useless and doesn't add anything to the sound quality.  That's why you can't hear the difference, it is all inaudible, what little of it there is.  The original recording doubtless did not use equipment that could record above 20 kHz anyway, so what all that stuff even is I have no idea.  It surely was not part of the recording process.

take a look at it at 320.  I've never heard a difference but maybe you can feel it like you can with sub bass?

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #529 of 3,525

take a look at it at 320.  I've never heard a difference but maybe you can feel it like you can with sub bass?

Temporal masking prevents that. Under certain circumstances, even with extra stuff in the audible range, you won't be able to register it in your brain due to other maskers.

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #530 of 3,525
with the graphs on the same scale it would be easier to tell something.
the signal above 20khz is all below -90db on that graph, so even if we pretended like it matters, it's silly quiet and outside of the audible range. so obviously, 

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #531 of 3,525
  Well I'm not sure I can respond to all that but let me just say I know people come in many different stripes of music appreciation.  I know people who never listen to music for its own sake, they only use it as a backdrop for driving or housecleaning or a party.  Such people do not use headphones.  (My wife self-admittedly belongs in this category, btw).  I also know music-lovers who listen to music as a constant backdrop to their day and who carefully curate their playlists etc, but who have no concern about audio quality.  They are just as happy listening to a song through the iPhone screen speaker as to a nice stereo.  Then there are music-lovers who can appreciate high-quality audio but do not require it to enjoy music playback. In my experience a lot of musicians fall into this group.  Finally there are music-lovers who would just as soon not bother to have music playing unless they are listening to high-quality playback, because they can't stand it otherwise.  I put myself in this latter category.

I think that there is also a group of "audiophiles" who actually don't love music, they just buy audiophile-grade recordings to use to listen to their equipment.  This is a particularly interesting attitude but who am I to judge?  I am not a snob in the sense that I don't give a darn which of these stripes anyone falls into.  I don't preach or convert or proselytize or complain about other people's choices, as many audiophiles do.   But I think it would be disingenuous to try to insist that everyone is really the same in these respects.  If failing to do so is "snobbery" then so be it.

On the subject of Hotel California, I still love the song and its original vinyl master, in spite of it being played so many times.  I think that compared to modern radio pop it has a very delicate sound and a good dynamic range.  I do think that it is musically interesting, here's a snippet about why: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_California#Harmonic_structure

Well, you certainly did respond, and very fully! I guess I went off on a tangent after the initial assertion that technical knowhow wasn't necessary to enjoy music. Yes, indeed there are a whole spectrum of people enjoying, or even loving music in different ways. I'm somewhere near your camp: bad sound annoys me, it is a source of irritation.

It's a shame about Hotel California: I used to like it, but I didn't choose how often I've listened to it, and it just didn't turn out to be one of those songs that I, personally, could listen to that often and still enjoy. I had a rant: but if anybody asks me what they should  use to test equipment they are going to listen to, I would say they should use whatever they like to listen to!

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #532 of 3,525
Does it annoy anyone else that spek only has a linear scale for frequency rather than log like every other tool in audio?

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #533 of 3,525
A linear rather than a logarithmic scale?

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #535 of 3,525
  (didn't read through all 35 pages so if this has already been posted please disregard)

I've never heard a difference but there is a difference:

Propaganda.These are not the same master recording, the one on the right has been compressed and/or limited. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #536 of 3,525
Whatever happened to gut feeling and enjoying music? There is better applications for spectrogram images alas to discuss and disprove audio myths, there is always room for it in the mix.  I reckon if you get the equipment right too it will also make an overall difference.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #537 of 3,525
  Whatever happened to gut feeling and enjoying music? There is better applications for spectrogram images alas to discuss and disprove audio myths, there is always room for it in the mix.  I reckon if you get the equipment right too it will also make an overall difference.

This is head-fi. You can never have the equipment right.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #538 of 3,525
We need a Game of Thrones Meme for that.

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #540 of 3,525

(didn't read through all 35 pages so if this has already been posted please disregard)

I've never heard a difference but there is a difference:

Propaganda.These are not the same master recording, the one on the right has been compressed and/or limited. 

Are you sure about that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back