Who's your least favorite musical artist?
Jun 3, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #797 of 1,005
Quote:
Jpop in general.

Hong Kong pop music is the worst offender, second to Korean pop and Japanese pop.  =P Nothing good came out of HK pop since 1993 and HK doesn't really have anything else except pop.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #798 of 1,005
You too? Yeah, I wish their vocalist would either be better or disappear entirely. Not sure that is hatred of the band as a whole though, but I do harbor severe disdain for that vocalist though.

Quote:
I have that problem with Dream Theater. That vocalist annoys me...

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #799 of 1,005

Quote:
You too? Yeah, I wish their vocalist would either be better or disappear entirely. Not sure that is hatred of the band as a whole though, but I do harbor severe disdain for that vocalist though.

it seems to be somewhat common.  My wife always says, "impressive music, but that vocalist...."
btw, that's a pretty cool username
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #800 of 1,005
Journey

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #803 of 1,005

Quote:
Hong Kong pop music is the worst offender, second to Korean pop and Japanese pop.  =P Nothing good came out of HK pop since 1993 and HK doesn't really have anything else except pop.

i think j-pop is worse. my reasoning is that hk pop and chinese pop still at least sound 'asian,' i mean i can see a kind of progression from their traditional (awful) ballads, and they have been mixed with the awful western piano ballads of the 80s and 90s, and somehow that's what stuck.

j-pop on the other hand is just NOTHING music...it has no relation to any other genre, no melody, no structure, no tension, no reward for listening, no nuance, awful awful singing that aims for 'drama' but is really just horrible, flat instrumentation, occasional guitar solos that do NOTHING in the context of the song...more often than not they are just a barrage of horrendous lyrics (honestly, it's rare to hear more than one bar without lyrics being shouted over the top) for 4 minutes. and the lyrics are the same in every song (please don't go, baby i need you, if we say goodbye will we ever meet again' ...variations on that theme). WAY TOO MANY LYRICS.

what's maybe even worse is that japanese people don't know how awful it is. they think that is what music really sounds like. and they think that every song spat out by the hit machine is somehow different from the others.

case in point: SMAP - オレンジ (orange)
this is honestly maybe the WORST SONG i have ever heard. and i had to put up with it every day for months because it was being sung at my student's graduation ceremony.

gotta calm myself down and go listen to some real music..!

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #805 of 1,005

Quote:
i think j-pop is worse. my reasoning is that hk pop and chinese pop still at least sound 'asian,' i mean i can see a kind of progression from their traditional (awful) ballads, and they have been mixed with the awful western piano ballads of the 80s and 90s, and somehow that's what stuck.

j-pop on the other hand is just NOTHING music...it has no relation to any other genre, no melody, no structure, no tension, no reward for listening, no nuance, awful awful singing that aims for 'drama' but is really just horrible, flat instrumentation, occasional guitar solos that do NOTHING in the context of the song...more often than not they are just a barrage of horrendous lyrics (honestly, it's rare to hear more than one bar without lyrics being shouted over the top) for 4 minutes. and the lyrics are the same in every song (please don't go, baby i need you, if we say goodbye will we ever meet again' ...variations on that theme). WAY TOO MANY LYRICS.

what's maybe even worse is that japanese people don't know how awful it is. they think that is what music really sounds like. and they think that every song spat out by the hit machine is somehow different from the others.

case in point: SMAP - オレンジ (orange)
this is honestly maybe the WORST SONG i have ever heard. and i had to put up with it every day for months because it was being sung at my student's graduation ceremony.

gotta calm myself down and go listen to some real music..!

I guess I'm a bit biased. I love D.A.I. and the Japanese music market also allowed Olivia Ong to reach her current level of popularity. HK pop may have more Asian sounding music but they don't even have bands playing those Asian (or even any) instruments. Everything is prerecorded. Their artists, especially the new ones, don't sound like they even practice.

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #806 of 1,005
Jun 9, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #808 of 1,005
Here is my list in no particular order because I hate them all. Actually I hate lil' wayne more than anything.

-lil' wayne (Laughing does not make you cool, why do "gangsters" do this? He chuckles and then says "no homo," I'm pretty sure he is all homo. I don't hate gays but he is hiding it and I dont like deceitful people. I cannot stand his voice. When he started he didn't sound as annoying (I think).)

-rhianna (The way she sings just erks me! Idk if it is an accent or whatever but ERRRRG!!!! I think miley cyrus sings the same way and everyone who knows music know she sucks. So having the same style means rhianna sucks too. BTW is that how u spell her name?

-the vocalist for rammstein  (Why is he so evil sounding and rolls letters that I'm pretty sure Germans don't. Actually, I hate the whole band because they make the most generic music and it all sounds like total crap. Add in the super crap voice and you get crap times crap to give you crap squared.)

-pit bill (****)

-an Cafe (I mainly listen to Japanese music because I just dislike American music because its all rap and all they ever do is rap rap crap rap rap and have another crap rap rapper rap. Rock/metal features guitar solos and all rappers can do is bring in another rapper in to rap? anyway Anyway I hate this band and most of you most likely have not heard of them because they are Japanese. The music is so bad and the singer....oh man, his voice and singing style makes you want to punch him in the face. Also if you look at him it makes you want to punch him in the face, so he deserves three punches to the face.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back