Who's your least favorite musical artist?
May 31, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #782 of 1,005

Quote:
Original artists never get any "cents" from covers or reinterpretations. It's legal under remix law. It's how remix artists like Girl Talk, and parody artists like Weird Al get paid to do what they do.

No, sorry you are misinformed, if the song is copyrighted then the owner of the copyright has to be compensated or at least agree to its use if it's being recorded by someone else.

Quote:
Copyright law gives the owner the right to prevent others from copying, creating derivative works, or publicly performing their works. Copyrights, like patent rights, can be divided in many different ways, by the right implicated, by specific geographic or market territories, or by more specific criteria. Each may be the subject of a separate license and royalty arrangements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalties

This was actually a big issue when sampling was taking off among hip-hop and electronic music artists. Several albums had to be deleted or redone because the copyrights hadn't been cleared and credited.                      

May 31, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #783 of 1,005

Quote:
 If the song is substantively dissimilar in form (for example, it might only borrow a motif which is modified, and be completely different in all other respects), then it may not necessarily be a derivative work (depending on how heavily modified the melody and chord progressions were). On the other hand, if the remixer only changes a few things (for example, the instrument and tempo), then it is clearly a derivative work and subject to the copyrights of the original work's copyright holder.

It all boils down to a grey area of opinions about how dissimiliar it is. Sampling in this case of our discussion is irrelevant. But alas, we both have valid points and I digress. Back to the topic at hand...

May 31, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #784 of 1,005
Quote:
You misunderstand, by stole, I literally mean STOLE! No one doubts the african american roots of rap or hip-hop. However, Jazz, blues, rock, the founders of ALL of those were thought to be white when they first gained prosperity, because it was believed that black people couldn't produce good music. So the end result was that white people got the credit until the white people fessed up to not being creative enough...

In what alternate reality did that happen?  I was born mid-century and the understanding was that all of those genres were black-music based, often enough crossed with influences from European folk and classical music.  Just because we live in the democratic age of the internet doesn't mean you get to rewrite the facts.  And there have been plenty of creative "white" contributors to those genres as well.

Now, whether white boys profited more from them is a different story.

[edit: I reacted to the above out of context of your other posts, which I largely agree with.  Sorry about that].

- Ed

May 31, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #785 of 1,005
HATE?    Honestly, that's a tough one.    I am very opinionated individual, and I certainly dislike a great many artists.   But hated takes things to an entirely different level. 

The closest that I can come to is any music that is specifically designed to incite hatred and violence towards another race or culture - "hate music" from neo-nazis, for example.   Granted there's certain hate music like gansta rap or some thrash metal that almost falls into that category, but sometimes I wonder if it's more tongue-in-cheek, most of the time.  But there's other music whose only reason for existence is to actually incite hatred and violence to another race/color/creed, and that is much more detestable than anything Justin Bieber will probably ever create.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #786 of 1,005
Anything that's death metal or metal in general... what else? Let's see... mostly Western artists since I listen to Korean music mostly :p. But of the few Western artists I've listened to:

Madonna
LADY GAGA (the worst imo)
Kesha (autotuned)
Rihanna is quite bad
50 Cent
Dr. Dre (cuz he sold his soul to monster)

Can't think of any more Western artists at the moment. Now for the Asian (Korean/Chinese) ones:

B2ST
U-Kiss (ok not exactly hate, just that I don't like their stuff)
GD & TOP (most of their songs except 1 or 2)

That's about it for now.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #789 of 1,005

Quote:
Why of all bands Chicago? Their first album is not bad at all...

Actually Chicago 2 wasn't to bad either, Chicago 32, on the other hand...

If they had only quit after 2, they would be legends today with all the hipster kids quoting their music and hunting down the legendary two Chicago albums on ebay and yard sales alike.

For the crime of not knowing when to quit, they join my hate list as well!!! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #791 of 1,005

Quote:

If they had only quit after 2, they would be legends today with all the hipster kids quoting their music and hunting down the legendary two Chicago albums on ebay and yard sales alike.

beerchug.gif

Well, I'm sure that they're disappointed that they made all the money themselves rather than letting other people make it from selling their albums on eBay!

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #795 of 1,005

Quote:

beerchug.gif

Actually the first 10 albums were great, then they turned into a whining, wimpy, crybaby band. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back