Who's Your ISP? (and how much do they rock/suck?)
Aug 17, 2009 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

wonderwall

100+ Head-Fier
I live a little too far from the city to have many options so I am stuck with Comcast, in my experience the worst ISP one can be connected with. The connection speed is unreliable. I occasionally get 2mbps which is nice, but kind of rare. Upload is complete **** at times. And this bandwith cap... never had a problem with it until this month and I have always used the service quite liberally. Then we get a rather threatening phone call from some "Customer Security" guy with a bad attitude tossing out threats before we even knew what the hell was going on. Seriously one of the rudest people I've ever had to deal with.

So basically, if we go over our limit one more time (still not sure how we did this time but never before) we will be disconnected and not "allowed" to have their service for one year. Like we would seriously come crawling back. The other thing that REALLY bothered me is that the guys claimed he was monitoring our usage. Whether or not he meant how much data was going in and out or actually viewing the data itself, he was not clear. I don't think the latter is even legal but that bothers me to think someone could be reading my every post/conversation or the music I download to try before I buy.

I desperately want to switch to another provider and flip Comcast the bird, as I'm sick of their policies, threats and out-right lies in some cases. But yeah, no other choice besides Hughes-Net at the moment (which we are probably gonna switch to anyway because this crap has gotten old). Just been trying to hold out for FiOS for the past couple years.

So how about you guys? How has your experience been with your ISP? Did you have one before that you were glad to get away from?

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 33
In Hong Kong, use PCCW's IMS Netvigator. Generally reliable but having problems tonight - they claim the recent bad weather in Asia (typhoons etc) have caused some submarine cables to malfunction.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 33
I am currently hooked up through Telenor.
They earn credits for having a stable connection and giving me the bandwidth I pay for. What sucks is that they and no other ISP deliver fiber, cable or any high speed connection to my area.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 33
Currently connected through Comcast, but I haven't run into any of your problems wonderwall... yet (knock on wood, cross my fingers).

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 33
I have Comcast and my experience has been very good overall. I've found connection speeds are most often limited by the website, not the ISP. Their service and tech support have been excellent also. They also let me slide for 3 months on the bill when I became unemployed, but needed the internet to look for work.

I think the quality of your ISP is mostly tied to who they were before Comcast bought them.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 33
I'm with Zen, it's expensive for the d/l speed that I get, but the line is rock solid. In the five years that I've been with them, I can only remember the line being down once
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 33
i used to be with zen until they changed their fup and pricing plans etc but they are the single most reliable isp on the planet, period.

Now with sky aka easynet, bit hit n miss at first but I gotta say the speeds are decent and consistently so, had a few drops here and there but nothing to write home about.

if ya want the best though in terms of customer service and out and out rock solid reliability then it has to be zen.

plus richard tang who owns the isp comes from my town and has set up zen headquarters here too.... which is nice.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 33
With Cox, they provide decent speed with no bandwidth limits which is good.

I really wish I was in Japan, J:Com is ~$60 a month for 160Mbps downstream, 10Mbps upstream.

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With Cox, they provide decent speed with no bandwidth limits which is good.

I really wish I was in Japan, J:Com is ~$60 a month for 160Mbps downstream, 10Mbps upstream.

Wow that speed seems useless for most as 10/100 are still the most common Ethernet cards. Also i'd like to see the server that would respond faster than 3-4Mbit.

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 33
I use Embarq. They're alright, dsl's gone down 2x in the past, once it was a scheduled maintenance, the other time it was unexpected and it was down for a couple of hours.

No dl cap, they block some ports that are used by p2p services so you can't upload really.

Paying $40/mo for 3.0Mbps for about 5 months now, before that was paying $40/mo for 1.5Mbps until I noticed they had a new speed but weren't giving it to old customers automatically. Noticed a few weeks ago $40/mo buys you 5.0Mbps. Switching to Cox for their bundled phone/tv/internet instead of Embarq's phone/dsl + Satellite.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 33
Charter Cable. Got to be the worst in the world..They have a monopoly in our city (asides from SBC Yahoo DSL and Earthlink crap), my 5MBps connection jacks off every hour or so at times...just reconnects and reconnects...spoils my downloads...at least I get 5MBps, I guess. I heard in Japan 50MBps is average or something....I have got to live there for a while...or Korea..

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 33
I have Comcast as well (at school). They really, really suck. They're simply unable to provide the bandwidth this area needs. Right around nighttime, we just start randomly losing our connection.

On the other hand, at home, we have Verizon FiOS, which completely rocks. The connection has never dropped, ever, and the speeds are great. That's what direct fiber does for you.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, at home, we have Verizon FiOS, which completely rocks. The connection has never dropped, ever, and the speeds are great. That's what direct fiber does for you.

I hate you
frown.gif
jk...might as well move to San Francisco or something now...

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #15 of 33
I have verizon fios and its awesome and very reliable. 20M up and 20M down for 60.00 is a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back