Who's Your ISP? (and how much do they rock/suck?)
Aug 18, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Comcast. Service is great for me. I pay $42.95 a month. I just did speedtest.net: 16 mb/s down and 6 mb/s up. Not bad
biggrin.gif

x2

speedf.jpg

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #19 of 33
We have the 5Mbps service from Charter. I can't remember the last time it's been down and we usually get the speed we pay for. I don't pay the bills, but I think it's $40/month. It's definitely on the high side, but to be fair we do live in a pretty rural area.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow that speed seems useless for most as 10/100 are still the most common Ethernet cards. Also i'd like to see the server that would respond faster than 3-4Mbit.

Definitely not useless imo.
This is my connection at the office, using a Lenovo X200 laptop hooked up using 1gigabit LAN (wired of course). It may be overkill for most tasks, but I certainly find quite a lot of internet servers pushing my connection quite hard...

23028466.png

Sadly nothing like these speeds at home though!
popcorn.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #21 of 33
At Iowa State I get about 8Mb down/6Mb up in the dorm. The much newer dorms across the street get ~35Mb down/20Mb up.
frown.gif

Residential internet sucks in Des Moines. Sure, you can get 20Mbps fiber directly to your house. What they don't say is that that comes with a puny 896k upload. Terrible for videoconferencing, VPN and remote desktop uses.

Edit: No ISP I've heard of has bandwidth caps or throttling though which is, of course, good.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #22 of 33
For whatever reason, Comcast friggin' loves me. My family has one of their basic cable plans, yet we've never had a connection drop and we get stellar speeds (well, good for a US connection).

522600128.png

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #23 of 33
My ISP is XMission by way of Utopianet.

XM is an independent regional ISP that has been in business since 1993. I've been a customer since 1993. Why? They're 99.99999% bullcrap free, and reliable. In the rare event that they have a problem, they're honest about it.

I spent some time doing tech support for a competing ISP, and not only did we lie to our customers, we in customer service weren't even told the truth about any given outage.

Utopianet is a state sponsored fiber network. I have the cheap version at only 15mbps (guaranteed, not just burstable. 15 megabit up and down) that costs me about $44/mo all inclusive. For another $20 i can get 50mbps, but i'm happy enough with routinely getting 1.5MB/s transfers. Yes that means i download 650 meg iso images in just a few minutes. All the time.

Aug 18, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #24 of 33
until last month, my only choice was roadrunner of time warner cable which was playing monopoly in this area. i was barely getting 0.5Mbs down and 0.5Mbs up, compared to their advertised speed of 10Mbs down and 0.5Mbs up. it would take more than a minute just to load espn.com's front page. ive been stuck with it for several years. pretty much everyone in the area was complaining but time warner wouldnt(or couldnt) fix the problem. at one point, they started blaming it on the customers, saying too many people were downloading/uploading large files all the time.
last month, verizon fios became available, and i swithed right away. i am actually getting 95% of the advertised speed 25 down and 15 up. the only downside is the price is kinda high at $180ish for the triple package (internet,tv,telephone) but i still love it to death.

Aug 18, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #26 of 33
I have Charter 5mb down and it is pretty nice, I don't think that it has been down when I have needed to use it in the past 6 months. I think that it is costing me $30/month right now so I figure that isn't too bad.

I just got the flyer from AT&T that their fios is moving into my neighborhood in the next few months so I am seriously considering looking at what they have to offer.

Aug 18, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #27 of 33
I have comcast, and the connection is really shoddy, sometimes it doesn't work for 15 minutes. They need to send someone to my house, but the only way to do that is for me to just wait here during these huge time slots, like sometime between 9 and 3 someone will come. And I can't do that on weekdays, I have, you know, a job! And if i'm going to take time off, it's not going to be to sit around waiting for the DSL guy.

ok that's my rant, thanks.

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #28 of 33
We have CableOne here in the Pacific NW. I can't even remember what the bandwith is, but it's fast--faster than the connection at my office at the University.
rolleyes.gif
Outages are extremely rare and dealt with extremely quickly.

They outsource their customer service to India. Businesses here in the states sometimes get a bad rap for doing this, but I'm actually very happy with their service. Every time I've gotten on the phone they speak impeccable English, are incredibly courteous, and very competent at figuring out the problem.

So, a happy customer here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #29 of 33
I use Verizon at home and AT&T mobile. Both have been good - no real complaints about either. I'll add that I don't spend much time up or downloading. I mostly browse.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #30 of 33
Comcast. Wonderful download speeds, craptastic upload speeds. HD TV for the most part is ok, but on certain channels/shows I get horrible pixilation/video anomalies and audio drop outs.

Some of the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. I have had service calls multiple times over the last 9 years that I have been a customer, and all but 1 time I knew more than the "technicians" did.

I feel that Comcast is overpriced for what I get out of the deal. But where I live I am kind of stuck because Comcast has a monopoly.

Overall, I would rate the Comcast experience as a C- on a scale from A to F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back