Who's your favorite songwriter?
Mar 19, 2004 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

djgustashaw

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm into mostly modern stuff and a bit of classic rock, and Richard Ashcroft can stand with any of em. He's definitely my favorite songwriter, his music always has a deeper meaning and yet it's still easy to understand. Lots of possible interpretations, too... that's a good thing to me. Lastly, it's just plain easy to apply to my everyday life.

Second place would be the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club member that writes their songs... they never specify in the packaging of their albums, but I think it's Peter Hayes. Their second album didn't do much for me, but the first is a classic. I'm really into that down-and-out kinda stuff.

Mar 19, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 19
Peavy Wagner of Rage is definitely my favorite songwriter. He has been defying the cliches of metal for two decades now, turning out gems of intelligent yet catchy lyrics and compositions. I love that his songs can be both very exiciting and moving. Some of his songs, like Turn the Page, Death is on Its' Way, In a Nameless Time, and Set This World on Fire touch me in ways the work of nobody else ever has.

Mar 19, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 19
To pick just one: Roger Waters. Both his solo and Pink Floyd stuff is incredible musically and lyrically. Honorable mention to Kurt Cobain and Janis Ian.

Mar 19, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 19
For me, its between Brahms and Schubert.

Or did you mean guys who aren't dead?
cool.gif

Mar 19, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 19
Mark Knopfler

John Hiatt

Lucinda Williams

Roger Waters

David Byrne

Mar 19, 2004 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 19
mike scott (waterboys)
steve wynn (dream syndicate)
justin sullivan (new model army)
bob mould (hüsker dü)

Mar 19, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 19
Most of my faves have already been mentioned.

Lucinda, Steve Earle, Dylan....

So i'm not going to mention those
biggrin.gif
instead i'm going to nominate the late TOWNES VAN ZANDT.

Steve Earle said of him "Townes is a better songwriter than Bob Dylan and i'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boot and say that". However he then said in a later interview "After having seen the size of Bob Dylan's bodyguards I think i'll retract my previous statement"
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 19
Leona Naess - especially works on her "Comatised" album
Patricia Barber - especially works on her "Verse" album

Mar 19, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 19
Paul Simon, Stephen Malkmus, Burt Bacharach/Hal David, Cole Porter, George/Ira Gershwin, Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein, Brian Wilson, Wayne Coyle, John Prine, John Lennon/Paul McCartney, all come to mind. And oh yeah that hack Johann Sebastian Bach.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back