Who's still on socket A (waiting for AM2)?
Feb 23, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #16 of 34
I'm still on Socket A and in no rush to upgrade. Ever since graphics cards skyrocketed in cost, I gave up on PC gaming and I just don't need that much horsepower for the day-to-day stuff.

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #17 of 34
Nice we have more Socket A overclockers than I thought
smily_headphones1.gif

It's sad but from here on out I don't see any other socket having as long a life span as this one did. AMD is changing sockets too quickly nowadays

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
It's sad but from here on out I don't see any other socket having as long a life span as this one did. AMD is changing sockets too quickly nowadays

[super] socket 7 lasted longer. its not that AMD is changing sockets too quickly, its that AMD has poor planning. 754 was really something that never should've happened, and AM2 will actually bring new goodies, like DDR2 and an integrated PCI-E controller (not too sure about the 2nd thing).

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
[super] socket 7 lasted longer. its not that AMD is changing sockets too quickly, its that AMD has poor planning. 754 was really something that never should've happened, and AM2 will actually bring new goodies, like DDR2 and an integrated PCI-E controller (not too sure about the 2nd thing).

Lets not forget about 940
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Lets not forget about 940

highend workstation/server CPUs traditionally have their own socket.

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #21 of 34
I was never really on Socket-A. Ok maybe I had Tbird 1.4ghz for a month or two but that doesn't count since I was never that satisfied with AMD platform. I now use Venice S939 and will be eager to upgrade to dual core soon. Single AMD CPU is a bit sluggish for me.

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #23 of 34
Socket A. Mobile Barton 2500+.
:Sigh:, Before Nov. 11 2004, I used to upgrade my machine much more often. I have no idea when I'm going to upgrade my rig next... Now should I buy a sennV2 cable...

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

But at launch with the FX processor it was marketed towards enthusiasts

thats because it was poor planning on AMD's part. 754 wasn't dual channel, 939 wasn't ready yet, so they just rebinned a few opteron wafers and sold them as the FX-51

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

2400+ mobile

default vcore is 1.4, I'm running it at 1.75. Still only 48-50 C full load. Cooling is Thermalright SLK-900 with 92 mm low power Panaflo fan (23 cfm)

That's almost exactly what I'm running on my gaming pc.
The only thing that is different is I have a different fan. lol

Are you running the 35 or 45 watt mobile?

I'm at 1.65 and getting 2.4ghz on the 35 watt.

Feb 23, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #27 of 34
Since I've given up on PC gaming (not counting Fallout2
biggrin.gif
), I've been quite happy with my TBread B-core 1700+ running 9x200 with SLK-800 sporting a silent Papst 80mm on Abit NF7-S. Voltage is stock, temperature 40C idle, 44C under heavy load.

The cheap crappy PSU I have as a temporary replacement is the limiting factor at the moment. I did get to 11x205 with the Nexus 350W PSU, running the cpu voltage at around 1,5V. That was right before the second-hand Nexus gave the ghost due to dust buildup.
frown.gif

The first thing on my list is a new PSU, propably Antec or Seasonic and then some more memory (512MB atm). Should be good for a while.

Feb 23, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #28 of 34
i love socket 462 because they perform so well for their cost. back then a xp2600+ is almost twice cheaper than an intel 2.6ghz.

i have a xp2800+ now but i am so disapointed i cant oc'ed them over 174x12.5. now that you guys mention maybe it need higher voltage, but my msi mobo dont allow to change that. the xp2600+ i used to have can go 180x11.5.

Is there any way to raise cpu voltage other than going to the bios? And yes I think it might be dangerous to do so while the computer is running.

and thanks for headup i didnt even know about AM2 nor these new ddr2 rams. technology go too fast i cant keep up. and here's i'm dreaming about affording a 939 system.

when are these AM2 and DDR2going to be introduced and standard for the mass? i should hold back and not buy a 939 and wait for it then. its too costly to keep upgrading every year with the speeding progress of technology today.

Feb 23, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #29 of 34
I use to be into obscene overclocking mods (I have several dfi lanparty's that are barely recognizable
biggrin.gif
), and Bartons (and the newer xp-m line) used to be my core of choice. I've since quit overclocking (I lack the motivation,) and my machine is chugging along nicely @ stock 2600+M speeds.

I'll probably go the 64bit route once it becomes mainstream and when all of my favorite apps are ported (I know that it can run in 32bit compat. mode, but I'd rather get the most out of whatever it is that I run.) Also, I'll probably wait until 64bit is fully supported and recognized by Debian developers.

It may be a while ...

Feb 23, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
Is there any way to raise cpu voltage other than going to the bios? And yes I think it might be dangerous to do so while the computer is running.

you can manipulate the bridges (little electrical contact points on the surface of the CPU). google will tell you what combination will do what, however, be warned, this is a rather advanced mod. its not complicated, but one small slip may kill your chip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back