Who's picking up The Shins today?
Jan 23, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, who else besides me is going to pick up the new Shins album today?

I might be now that you gave me the heads up.

Thanks.

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 31
It's good to know that the SQ is good, because I've always thought that "Oh Inverted World" and "Chutes Too Narrow" had at best decent SQ.

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

So, who else besides me is going to pick up the new Shins album today?

I preordered the LP months back (super l
cool.gif
ser here), but do not see where it was released today, will phone the record store..nice reminder, thanks

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

It's good to know that the SQ is good, because I've always thought that "Oh Inverted World" and "Chutes Too Narrow" had at best decent SQ.

I love the shins and have their previous efforts, those are much more compressed. There is a better sense of dynamics on this new one, mind there is still some compressions going on, just not as bad. The tonality is relatively warm and smooth, not as bright or edgy as chutes. The bass is tight and punchy, and the drums have some decent body to them, overall good job

Jan 23, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

chutes vinyl is very nice

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 31
I'm one step ahead of you. My preorder arrived Monday afternoon (along with the new Of Montreal album which, by the way, has some funky cool album art).

This one is definitely more "snazzy" than their previous stuff. In some cases it works and in some cases not so much, but when it works it works REALLY well. I'm really digging "Sleeping Lessons," "Sealegs," and "Spilt Needles." And of course "Phantom Limb" is excellent as well.

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 31
I just picked this up after school and am listening to it right now. So far I dig the change in direction. But I will have to do some more listening.

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 31
As another post describes, there is still some compression going on for sure..but is much better and overall the effect is warmer, at least on the LP.

I am stoked on the new album, and for a new release and all, the vinyl doesn't disappoint me..recommended.

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
chutes vinyl is very nice

darn it, had this album in hand several times..thinking I should first get the first release before Chutes...thanks for the heads up

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

So far I dig the change in direction. But I will have to do some more listening.

I got way too many CD's the past couple days from ebay and in store that It's hard to get dedicated listening done. I like what I heard so far though.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #14 of 31
I really like the first third of the album; the rest is by no means bad, but it seems to drag just a bit compared to the first third. This is not my favorite Shins album; that title still belongs to "Chutes Too Narrow". But again, not a bad album at all, and I'm intrigued about where they will go next.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #15 of 31
Had it since october
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back