Who's picking up The Shins today?
Jan 24, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #16 of 31
i dled the mp3s awhile back but i decided to finally buy a real cd.

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #17 of 31
My favorite is "inverted", don't really like this album... sound is good
icon10.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked it up yesterday. Sounds great! performance and SQ wise. Ironically, it was brought to my attention from the recent stereophile that featured their recommended recordings, go figure.

That's where I heard about it too.

I won't be picking it up today, but this weekend for sure.

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #20 of 31
I preordered the vinyl too and just got it today. Pretty cool of the label to include some small freebies -- a Sub Pop sticker, a Shins sticker, a goofy little button and a coupon for a mp3 download of the album.

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #21 of 31
Bought the CD today - was going to get the vinyl, but for 12 bucks vs. 17, had to go the shiny route. This is a band that I don't particularly care for, but some of my friends (with whom I have a pretty strong respect for their tastes in music) swear by them.

Let's see if I can get into it.

Jan 25, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaolinRasta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I preordered the vinyl too and just got it today. Pretty cool of the label to include some small freebies -- a Sub Pop sticker, a Shins sticker, a goofy little button and a coupon for a mp3 download of the album.

mine came with a 45 from the sub pop label!! Nothing At All & Spilt Needles (alt version)
pretty cool.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #23 of 31
Well, I've had some time to listen, and it's definitely growing on me. Sound quality is decent, bordering on excellent and the vocal melodies are to die for on a few tracks. Very interesting stuff. Let's see if it can hold my interest beyond a few runthroughs.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #24 of 31
I'm really enjoying this one. It's a good direction. All of their albums are great for listening. Even though the production isn't always the super best, the musicality can really bring out the goods. Phantom limb is definately eargasm material IMO.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by thabenksta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phantom limb is definately eargasm material IMO.

Hell YES - Easily the highlight of the album. His vocals are sublime.

[EDIT] Last night I started to drift off around Phantom Limb and the following track has some interesting soud effects leading up to it. My Grado RS-1s (replete with zero soundstage
rolleyes.gif
) startled me awake and had me disoriented for minutes.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #27 of 31
I picked up the CD a couple of days ago. That and Beck.....they're both singing quite damn well on my sig! My HD650s haven't been slammin so hard for awhile. My TT was finally shipped today, so I'll be getting it next week. Who knows, maybe I'll try getting some of their previous albums on LP. Do have to agree with others that the mastering seems nicer on this album vs the earlier ones (love the songs on Oh Inverted World, but it borders on compressed). The new Jet CD though.....compression city
mad.gif
mad.gif
I know I've reached audiphileness now that I'm gripping about CD mastering
biggrin.gif
So for those LP people, do you find the dynamics are better on newly mastered rock on LP? Just wondering what the consensus is.....will probably be trying it out myself once I have my TT.

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #28 of 31
Dave, so far my experience has been a mix of yes and no. A well recorded album is a well recorded album and in the case of The Shins' new one, I would presume the LP would sound a little nicer (more mellow). Extremely hot, peaky and compressed albums don't seem to benefit from the vinyl treatment at all. I have Deloused in the Comatorium (Mars Volta), which is, courtesy of Rick Rubin, a clipping disaster and the LP sounds like garbage.

It's my understanding that due to the production differences between CD and LP, it is more likely that you'll get a better playback from vinyl over the average hot CD. How much of that depends on your own set up is, of course, a completely different story.

Jan 26, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's my understanding that due to the production differences between CD and LP, it is more likely that you'll get a better playback from vinyl over the average hot CD. How much of that depends on your own set up is, of course, a completely different story.

Thanks for the info GlendaleViper: Guess I just have to wait for my Music Hall MM5 to arrive! One of the reasons I decided on it, was I heard it's really great at details: like my redbook and SACD sources. The bad thing about them though is that they really show off bad mastering or compression.
frown.gif
Wincing is sounding quite spectacular on CD....guess I'd better try picking up Oh Inverted on LP to see if the medium is more euphonic: if my TT will show off less of the compression. That album deserves it, as I still think that's the most musical of the the big three they've come out with. I can see why TTs are fun: even when I still haven't spun my first vinyl! Did pick up quite a few used LPs. Figured LP would definitely have an advantage for older recordings. Have my stylus guage and cleaning supplies for when the TT comes. Have I mentioned about how anxious I am at getting the TT??
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #30 of 31
Dave, get ready to enter a wonderful world. I got my Project deck at Christmas, more than ten years after my last TT died. I prefer listening to my vinyl through speakers, though my RS-1 does a nice job of hiding the sibilance and channel imbalances the K701 brings right to the front of the presentation.

Your turntable should be a pretty big step up from mine, though. It was the one I wanted, but just couldn't afford it.

Best points of getting into vinyl, from my perspective:

- Music (and deal) hunting
- Pulling out old classics (my music collection doubled, thanks to inheriting my dad's old vinyl)
- Vinyl listening is an active endeavour - you'll never sit back for more than 20 minutes at a time
- That analogue warmth!

Enjoy! I'm excited for ya!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back