Who's "done"?
Aug 14, 2006 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 153

daba

500+ Head-Fier
With the incoming of my new Rega Planet 2000, I think it's safe to say my rig is for the most part settled down and complete.

Cans: HD650 balanced for general use, HF-1's for rock and stringed instruments, SA5000's for electronica. My amp is great, pretty satisfied with it. Source, check. Nothing else to buy except throw money into the cables black hole and also music!

So who else is "done"?

Aug 14, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 153
Realy nice set up you have.
I am also heading towards a balanced HD650 (Rudistor NX-33 in my near future I think).
I can see how you think you're done.

But,

Did you get your SA5000 balanced yet?
evil_smiley.gif

Did you know HF-1 look REALY pretty when they come back from Larry?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 153
Hopefully I'm about done too
plainface.gif

Balanced HD650s
Headphiled HF1s

Adequate source - Creek CD50mki > Benchmark DAC1 > new amp today!!

I'm keeping quiet on the new amp as it only arrived this morning just before I had to leave for work so not even powered up yet.

Just custom tips for UM2s and/or E500s to finish me and my wallet off!
eek.gif

Aug 14, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 153
I'm getting the feeling that I'm done aswell. I have two setups for two different kinds of music.

My main rig is a Mapletree Ear+ HD with a RS-1. Very, very happy with this combo. Great sound for most music and it excels with rock.
Besides that I have a EC-01 with a DT770/250. Great combination for electronica.

I could use a better source but I won't see that happening for a half year or so, but other than that, I'm done. I'll keep playing around with budget cans for portable use (though I have an E500 on the way), but my home rig won't see many changes anymore.

Aug 14, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 153
I'm beyond done.
plainface.gif

I've actually been considering selling all my headphones and getting into speakers. I think the purge is going to begin soon since I want to dump all the gear I never use anymore (discmans, cassette walkmans) then start moving into the least used headphones. I'm happy with my main headphone rig but it doesn't get a lot of use. I think down the line I'll eventually purchase a Stax amp to mate with the Baby O's.

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 153
daba, what's your amp? does it match well with all your cans? just askin'.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 153
“I'm beyond done.
I've actually been considering selling all my headphones and getting into speakers.”

I was going to say the same thing. I’m thinking Yamamoto A-08S 45 SET with a pair of Cain and Cain Abbeys. I just ordered the Yamamoto since it’s beautiful.

5_1.jpg

Mitch

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 153
well i have two more things coming, one which will need some TLC to get up to speed, which may take a while, so to address the OP - no, I'm not quite done.
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 153
Short term, nearly done. I don't need a home rig 'cus that's what my stereo is for. My portable rig still lacks a high-end IEM. I've got my eyes on them E500s!

In the long term, who knows? I might want a home amp afterall...

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 153
Long term, anything's possible. Short term (by "short term" I probably mean at least for the next four years), barring some insanely cheap deal on a pair of SR-225 or HF-1, I'm done. I'm quite satisfied with my Pimeta/HD-580 for most everything, HD-280 when I need isolation, and SR-60 for that fun sound signature once in a while. Between the fact that I've got college and other hobbies to spend time/money on, I'm actually legitamitely satisfied with my setup. So no more upgrading for a while.

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #14 of 153
My turntable and Cyrus -> MPX3 rig is done, tho I'll eventually get some adaptors to roll some other tubes in, and probably a cartridge for the TT. I really don't have any aspirations to change out cans, amp, or sources in any big way.

Computer rig is an ever changing beast and may eventually become a passively cooled music server with a DAC. That's far in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back