Whole house audio - in 1 week
Jun 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

twiz 8

New Head-Fier
    I am in charge of installing an audio system for 12 rooms + 1 patio. Luckily all speaker wires are[size=11.0pt] preinstalled[/size]  except for the patio, so i will need [size=11.0pt]amplification[/size] for 26 speakers and music sources. Ideally i want a central storage library controlled through tablets and iphones. All rooms are prewired to hook sources up directly. I will only need a handful of sources (no more).
what hardware is going to have the highest Value, and work best for what i want?

Anyone now of company that can do the job quickly and inexpensively?

Twiz 8

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 16
Hmm of those rooms - which ones are dedicated for HT and others for casual use? I would consider a DIY media server to centralise your music, movies, etc?

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 16
I'd set up Nuforce AIR DAC's around some of those rooms if possible. http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/airdac-tx/index.php

Basically, it'll allow for seamless movement between rooms with quick switching or multiple streams to different devices in range. 

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 16
The whole-house wiring is nice if you can actually get a custom installer to come in and set up massive amp centers, and grant you access to very complicated and exclusive control systems and software. 

If I were going the DIY approach, I would simply skip the in-house wiring altogether, and just set up a massive Sonos system

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 16
So what are you set up with now? Interested to hear about it. Many different solutions out there.
Quote:
I ended up bitting off more than I can chew.
The applicable solution turned out to be call
Someone(company) to do the install.

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 16
I have been to tied up to get it finished. I did However call in 24/7 Audio Video, Chris lay came Back with a dope perposal. You will have control of individual rooms and areas. Internet radio, Pandora, to iTunes, iPod, slacker, spotify, I heart radio, and anything else you would like to plug in to the system. You can control it with any Smartphone or tablet also. This system will have the ability of a party mode for all rooms or just select rooms of your choice. Let me know what you think after you have a chance to look it over and get back into town.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 16
what's the system called?
Quote:
I have been to tied up to get it finished. I did However call in 24/7 Audio Video, Chris lay came Back with a dope perposal. You will have control of individual rooms and areas. Internet radio, Pandora, to iTunes, iPod, slacker, spotify, I heart radio, and anything else you would like to plug in to the system. You can control it with any Smartphone or tablet also. This system will have the ability of a party mode for all rooms or just select rooms of your choice. Let me know what you think after you have a chance to look it over and get back into town.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 16
Sonos Zoneplayer 120.
beerchug.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 16
Sonos is a good brand, They've got some of the best wireless stuff on the market.

Because it's streaming from your computer and not your phone, their shouldnt be any bottleneck on quality, rather it will sound as good as it can get in most cases like the Pandora and other streaming services thing. Should be a nice setup

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 16
Sonos, as I mentioned way back when you first posted this thread, is super easy to setup yourself - unless you're low on time, there's no need to pay someone to set it up. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 16
Yea, good I remember seeing sonos at the store. I will go talk to the customer service employee at the store, hopefully he will have something to demonstrate. I found some amazingly complex systems on YouTube. it reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons when homer has his home automated except with out the robotic hand.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 16
No, I mean Sonos is STUPIDLY easy to set up - their user interface and graphical instructions are second to none.  I'm not very technical at all, and now have three Sonos devices pulling music from a NAS, and it took me no more than 15 minutes to set up.  Sonos is more of a marvel in interface design than it is in home audio :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back