Whoever in here thought they were an audio baller... hasnt seen this room. 56k warn!
Aug 22, 2005 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
Keep in mind, this guy started out with Bose several years ago.

Check it out:

The room alone costs over $300,000.
His turntable is $75,000.
His speaker wire is $36,000 a piece.
His interconnects total to over $40,000.
His speakers are Von Schweikert VR9 @ a measly $75,000. His previous speakers were Kharma Exquisite Reference 1B @ $65,000 a pair.
His TWO Tenor monoblocks retail at $60,000 each.
His DartZeel stereo amplifier costs around $20,000.
His EPS-3 powercords total to around $20,000.
Not to mention that he doesnt let his interconnect wires touch the ground with the use of Porcelain Cable elevators.
He has a HUGE collection of CDs and Vinyl to make mincemeat of most collections we have.

His room has its own separate and highly tweaked HVAC (heating and air conditioning system) with vents at a certain angle so as to minimize noise.

Here is are 2 pictures:

BEFORE:
001_old_room_web.jpg

AFTER:
Mike__s_Room_005_jpg_a.jpg

Disgusting isnt it???
very_evil_smiley.gif

Here are more system pics:
Mike__s_Room_006_jpg_a.jpg

Mike__s_Room_009_jpg_a.jpg

Mike__s_Room_011_jpg_a.jpg

main_2.jpg

P5190036.jpg

Mike__s_Room_007_jpg_a.jpg

main_3.jpg

More system pics and descriptions:
http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/663.html

A link to how he built his room.... very very interesting! Glad to see his wife was so accommodating as to even supporting him in the move to a bigger place with a barn:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...avigneroom.htm

I have to say that this is my favorite audio room that I have seen. He put so much time and effort into this, not to mention a truckload... no make that TWO truckloads of cash, to make the whole thing possible. I would love to listen to that.

For now, I will return back to my meager Martin Logans.
frown.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 105
Love the room and those acoustical treatments. Reminds me of an audio room I saw in Japan.

Aug 22, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 105
I bet it sounds like crap.
tongue.gif

Wow, what a room. The guy has a Rockport Sirius System III... my new hero.
redface.gif

I should print off a picture of that and show it to people when they say that my system is excessive. I'll say, "This guy has a $75k turntable... my whole system costs $2.5k."
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 105
I'm going to show this page to my parents... so I can justify my system, too. That's a great idea Philodox!

"Mom, my system costs $5,000 total. His speaker wire costs $72,000 for the pair. So you see.... I am sane!"

Aug 22, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
That setup sucks! I'd get so freaking bored in there it wouldn't be funny. If I just listen to music I have to be playing along or something so I'd be standing up and out of the sweet spot so it'd be a waste, lol.

Riiight. Maybe that's why you're a headphile and not a speakerphile. Different strokes for different folks.

Aug 22, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
That setup sucks! I'd get so freaking bored in there it wouldn't be funny. If I just listen to music I have to be playing along or something so I'd be standing up and out of the sweet spot so it'd be a waste, lol.

Reading his article, it says that "Richard measured all around the room for frequency consistency... and it is amazingly flat wherever. There is not a bad seat in the house." So, I guess you could walk around the room and play along
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by juni0r

Reading his article, it says that "Richard measured all around the room for frequency consistency... and it is amazingly flat wherever. There is not a bad seat in the house." So, I guess you could walk around the room and play along
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay cool, lol.

As for being a "headophile"...I have 1 pair of decent 'phones (eggos) and the headband is broken, I'm such a speaker guy it's not even funny.

Aug 22, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 105
I came across this guy's system on Audiogon one day. He probably has one of the best systems in the world. While that's great and all, I would never want to be in the position where you could update no more. Where your system would be perfect in every way.

Now the only thing he can buy is music.
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 105
This room/system has been discussed ad nauseum at AA. This certainly is one way to go for a hard-core speaker audiophile, and maybe the only way, but consider this.

$300K spent on getting the (critical) room right would cost $0 for a cost-no-object headphone system.

Mr. Lavigne is a traditional vinyl and CD spinner, which is great, but some of us would consider this situation unacceptable b/c we demand instant access to all our songs via hard drive and remote LCD panel. A SOTA PC-based system, still using a great DAC like Meitner, Dodson, etc, hopefully using digital room corrrection would have been more up my alley.

Now, I'm origianally a speaker-audiophile before my head-fi "activities," and I am envious of anyone who can build a room like this, but for God's sake, get at least 2 chairs in the sweet spot!

Aug 22, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 105
And to think, it wouldn't sound any worse if he used Radio Shack interconnects and Home Depot speaker wire. Fool and his money are soon parted.

Aug 22, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 105
the one thing missing from this room: another chair. i like to listen to music alone, but i LOVE to listen to it with someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back