Who would someone use the Sennheiser Orpheus?
Sep 17, 2002 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

salz

New Head-Fier
Of course, when I first learned about the Sennheiser Orpheus and the $15,000 price tag I was blown away. I have to wonder, who would use these!?! Are they really THAT good to be worth $15,000? Please realize that I'm still a noob to headphones
rolleyes.gif
I'm just curious as to who would need $15,000 headphones and why they are so special.

Sep 17, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 7
You can find Orpheus impressions on these boards via a search. Some folks feel it is the best available headphone sound...if you HAVE to have the best and you have the dough, why not?

Sep 17, 2002 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd definitely use one if I don't get the chance. E.g. someone gave it to me as birthday gift
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 17, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 7
Someone who values listening to their music collection and can appreciate the advantages that it has over other headphones (and yes, someone who can put up with its disadvantages :wink:

Unfortunately, the best things in life are not always free.

I don't get anywhere near as much time as I'd like to listen to music - hence why I became interested in headphones as they allowed me to stay up late and not bother anyone.

Time is the most valuable thing that we own - and so when I spend my time listening to music, then I want to get as much value for money in the experience as I can get. The cost of the electronics pales into insignificance compared to the cost in time.

Well, in my opinion anyway :wink:
--Jatinder

Sep 17, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 7
One of our esteemed members, Tuberoller, is a former Orpheus Owner (note: Anyone who owns or owned an Orpheus deserves to have the acknowledgement in caps). However circumstances...........well, check out his "custom title."
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Sadly the mighty Orpheus is trapped in the castle of the evil younger brother.It is perched atop a marble column where it can only been seen and never heard.It awaits for the day when it's master(me) will free it with the kiss of true love(or a suitably sized check).Since the time that it was banished from the humble dwelling of Sir Tuberoller by Lady Tuberoller, (due to the diabolical plot successfully carried out by evil,rich,single,******* younger brother),the Orpheus has languished in captivity.Such is the tale of the Orpheus.The ending to come later...............

In reality I get to listen to it once in a great while and my brother will most likely bring it if we can ever get a Chicago meeting organized.If you ever meet me and see me driving around in my $500.00 car you would never believe me.Come to my house and you'll quickly get the picture,I'm a freak.One day I'll,hopefully, be reunited with the Orpheus and this story will have a happy ending.

Sep 17, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I'm a freak.

Hey, I can relate. I drive a POS car, live in a basement where the rent is cheap, and the drive to work is long, but if I sold all my audio gear and CD's, I coulda had the Orpheus several times over. It's just a matter of priorities. Mine is music.

I guess my point is, you're not a freak from where I stand.

And in answer to the original question, "...because they can." Wouldn't you? I've heard one, I didn't think it was the best headphone and amp setup I've ever heard for everything -- but I still want one. Pure euphony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back