Who watched the Michael Jackson Memorial?
Jul 8, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #16 of 24
I thought it was a very well done memorial service. Didn't get to watch the whole thing; only saw the last hour. The end, with Michael Jackson's daughter... that was touching. Got my tears flowing.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #17 of 24
I saw part of it [my daughter was watching]. Was I the only one to hear hecklers? A private service should have been opted for.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #18 of 24
what did these hecklers say? The private service with the family was before the huge public one.

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #19 of 24
I watched/listened to pretty much the whole thing at the office (while doing some work, of course) and was impressed with the respect shown to both the entertainer and the man. Al Sharpton's comments really got me to thinking about the true legacy of MJ.

I nearly had to shut my office door when Jermaine sang the song, "Smile" and when MJ's daughter broke down at the end. Not only was he a great (maybe greatest) entertainer, but he was also a dad, brother and son. The pain and grief on the family's faces really brought that aspect home and humanized him.

I know that MJ passed over a week ago, but personally, I'm still in a bit of a shock/denial about it. It's really weird to think that he's actually gone. It appears he's going to get the respect in death that he didn't quite receive in life. At least I hope so.

Peace.

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #20 of 24
Say all what you want about him, that guy did his work for charity and will continue doing so. Since his testament stated that 20% of his fortune will go to various foundations, I would assume that whenever we buy a MJ or Beatles album/song part of the royalties wil go to charity.

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #21 of 24
I watched it.
I Liked when Jermaine Jackson and Stevie Wonder sang the songs,and it was sad when his daughter broke down.

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #22 of 24
I was on a bus riding down Times Square when it started.
I was wondering why traffic was extra slow and crowds on the sidewalk.
caught one hour of it at home. if you weren't moved by his daughter, see a cardiologist. and yes, Jermaine singing "smile" was touching.
I wonder what the origins to that song was, it's not a song I hear often.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #23 of 24
I watched the tribute and thought it was well done for a last minute deal, the little guy who came on at the end can sure sing.
I subscribe to Macleans, Canada's version of Time I guess and read Paul Wells' excellent article on the whole affair, here is an excerpt:
The farewell - Arts & Culture - Macleans.ca
as touching as the memorial was, where were all these people in the last 10-15s in MJ's life?
where was Oprah?
the word "dichotomy" has never been truer than with Micheal Jackson, after his death my fiance ordered Off the Wall, Thriller 25th Anniversary and Bad. To listen to the music and realize how young he was when he did all this is inspriring.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #24 of 24
I missed it.
They played his songs for hours on one of the local radio stations though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back