Who uses an HT receiver as only a DAC?
Apr 2, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #16 of 20
I have one system that consist of old Angstrom Home Theater Entertainment 200 processor serving the DAC duty for two channel headphone listening. It may not be latest and greatest DAC chips on the town but it sure is nice sounding.

I am sort of partial to old technology DACs out there anyway. These types of old DACs can be had for very little money relatively.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #17 of 20
A few days ago i´ve compared a HLLY t-amp 20 + HLLY DAC DMK IV against my Harman AVR 5500 and even at higher listening levels we could´t tell that there was a difference in sound listening through my actual speaker setup. Connecting my old pair of speakers i noticed a lower bass output with the HLLY combo, voices seemed to be better than with the Harman AVR.

That was a interesting comparison, i thought that the difference would be much greater then it actually was. I use a HTPC as transport an little tweaks there are audible even with my newer speakers like upsampling and stuff so i wondered that i didn´t notice a difference changing from harman to the HLLY combo listening with them.

Possibly my newer speakers are somewhat immune when it comes to amps and that the HLLY DAC is sounding to similar to the Harman build in AKM DAC to hear are real difference. There´s no doubt that my new speakers are far more superior compared to my old ones in any aspect.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidelity Castro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few days ago i´ve compared a HLLY t-amp 20 + HLLY DAC DMK IV against my Harman AVR 5500 and even at higher listening levels we could´t tell that there was a difference in sound listening through my actual speaker setup. Connecting my old pair of speakers i noticed a lower bass output with the HLLY combo, voices seemed to be better than with the Harman AVR.

So you are saying you do not hear a significant sonic difference between the HLLY DAC/t-amp combo and the HK AVR5500, when powering your new (better) speakers?
And that the HLLY DAC/t-amp combo displays less bass, but a more forward midrange than the HK AVR5500, when powering your old speakers?

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #19 of 20
I remember seeing in the 'Sauga/Toronto meeting that someone was using a Pioneer Elite receiver for a DAC or an amp or both. I'd be very curious to hear how those perform! Just have to find an audio store that will let me walk in with a DAP or CD and headphones... I should probably bring a lawn chair and a few beers too.

I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about a few of the HK models-- can't be sure which ones exactly as I'm not in the HK know, but I must say that they look sexy.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are saying you do not hear a significant sonic difference between the HLLY DAC/t-amp combo and the HK AVR5500, when powering your new (better) speakers?
And that the HLLY DAC/t-amp combo displays less bass, but a more forward midrange than the HK AVR5500, when powering your old speakers?

Yes, that was my impression. Replace the word "forward" with "more authentical"
wink.gif

My new Speakers are those : *klick*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back