Who still has the Sony SA5000?
May 14, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #346 of 652
Its SA5000, I just picked them up from local warehouse sale.Any possible to fake this headphones?They comes with everything with very nice like shoe box with headphone stand.

AFAIK there are not documented SA5000 fakes in the wild. Your package looks correct relative to the two pairs I've had (both from authorized dealers) - but it's a single picture. If they're all metal except for the black rubber bits on the back and plastic inside the earcup parts, the drivers are white, and they say JAPAN on them, I'd guess they're legitimate (assuming they sound right). The only Sony fakes I've seen detailed through (e.g. V900s) usually get at least one detail wrong on the finishing of the product (and it's usually in a huge/noticeable way) - compare yours to online pictures if you're worried.

May 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #347 of 652
Jealous

May 16, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #348 of 652
What is your recommendation for amp/dac for SA5000?
 would you recommend for little dot mk++ or yulong dac used if i can get them$100 or less?
Ho much usually is the used one for any of this amp/dac.I was really tight with my budget.
Is Fiio e7 was good enough source to drive this headphone if i can get them for $50 used?
I will use it from my computer or ipod.I appreciate your help suggestion i was new.
regular_smile .gif

May 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #349 of 652
I was just introduced to the SA5000 by an awesome member here on head-fi.  After a succesful trade, I received them yesterday and I'm conducting my first listening session.  I'm not the review writing type...absolutely no creative writing skills, but I can say these babies are awesome.  I'm loving everything about these.

I'm running these through a Cambridge Audio DacMagic and Shanling PH300 tube/ss hybrid amp.  

May 21, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #350 of 652
I was also get mine last week i pick them up from local warehouse.They come with everything new.Stated as open box but it seems untouched.SA5000 is my first most expensive headphones i ever had i got them for $500.Would you mind if you be able to help me.
I have few options regarding about the amps thats i would be able to get for cheap.IF you have any recomendation let me know i appreciate.

FUBAR III - $70
LITTLE DOT MK II++ - $80
FIIO E7 - $50
Creek OBH-1 - $120
Yulong U100 = $100

May 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #351 of 652
I use my Sa3000 from a tube amp and I like it over my other solid state amp, and I've seen ppl with same experiences. If you find the highs from the 5k too sharp or the mids to dry, you can consider getting a tube amp.

My second question for you is do you have a dac.

Lastly, I think the ef2a might worth mention but I don't have experience with them.

May 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #354 of 652
i found the SA5000 sounding fine out my solid state power amps speaker outputs(low zout). never found them bothersome unless at high levels. they have good amount ot air from 14k and above but the top-end(around 10k) sounds not too bad and thought the midrange was nice and clear(liked it lot more over the k601's). i think problem people have with these is most of the solid state gear(amp,soundcard/dac/interface,ect.) they use with them produces an annoying type of grain itself. the grain could be causing the annoyance lot of time. it's just an idea from memory someone mentioning something bout why never liking most solid state headamps or something cause of a grain issue or something like that.

when i used the sa5000 with my ipod once while it sounded really nice i think i heard type of grain in the midrange to treble area with them on certain tracks. wasn't bothersome to me but just tad weird. can any of you guys conform that?

May 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #355 of 652
i found the SA5000 sounding fine out my solid state power amps speaker outputs(low zout). never found them bothersome unless at high levels. they have good amount ot air from 14k and above but the top-end(around 10k) sounds not too bad and thought the midrange was nice and clear(liked it lot more over the k601's). i think problem people have with these is most of the solid state gear(amp,soundcard/dac/interface,ect.) they use with them produces an annoying type of grain itself. the grain could be causing the annoyance lot of time. it's just an idea from memory someone mentioning something bout why never liking most solid state headamps or something cause of a grain issue or something like that.
when i used the sa5000 with my ipod once while it sounded really nice i think i heard type of grain in the midrange to treble area with them on certain tracks. wasn't bothersome to me but just tad weird. can any of you guys conform that?

Would have to be a bit more specific than "grain" - I think I follow you, but I'm not certain. :xf_eek:

FWIW, between the VHP1, E9, and a few receivers/power amps they seemed fairly consistent. The higher Zout units tapped the bass up a bit, call it "warm" if you want, and they sounded niftier. Might've also had something to do with having hojillions of mW available or better volume controls (using the DAC's volume control which tracks better than pots - seemed to "open" things), who knows. They aren't as "friendly" or "happy" as the MDR-F1 but they certainly don't vacillate as much as the HD 580/6x0 between amplifiers.

May 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #356 of 652
Would have to be a bit more specific than "grain" - I think I follow you, but I'm not certain. :xf_eek:
FWIW, between the VHP1, E9, and a few receivers/power amps they seemed fairly consistent. The higher Zout units tapped the bass up a bit, call it "warm" if you want, and they sounded niftier. Might've also had something to do with having hojillions of mW available or better volume controls (using the DAC's volume control which tracks better than pots - seemed to "open" things), who knows. They aren't as "friendly" or "happy" as the MDR-F1 but they certainly don't vacillate as much as the HD 580/6x0 between amplifiers.

kinda hard to explain. it's like a weird overlaying of textures in that specific frequency range. some explain it like taking saw blade to a violin or sand paper on crash cymbal. i myself don't exactly know what it is and still trying to find out but overall it makes things sound bit weird in a way or if you turn the volume up you can hear things start mushing up together in harsh way like it sounds muddy but harsh at same time where it can no longer maintain it's clarity. i don't know if this best explanation for it or not.

May 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #357 of 652
Just picked up a mint condition SA-5000 from a fellow Headphone enthusiast here in Singapore, interested to see how it'll perform with my Woo WA5 and Littledot Mk6+

May 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #358 of 652
My SA5k is been recable to 4pin xlr and have a MK6.  Will give opinion once I get it back.  I think the Sony is more dependent on source, I meanit likes SS and tube but when given a good recording it will sound good and given a bad one will sound bad.  It I heard it from  sound card and a usb dac and the dac sounded much better.

May 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #359 of 652
Quote:

dyl1dyl stole my money recently when he pretended to sell some nice headphones to me. He is not a good person at all and should be banned from this site. See our trading history to see the proof.

Did you report it to a mod?

May 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #360 of 652
The MDR-MA900 is here! Can wait to burn it in and then some ear time. Let's see if the SA5000 still has a place.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/611444/new-sony-mdr-ma900-unboxing-video#post_8408431

Users who are viewing this thread

Back