Who still has the Sony SA5000?
Jul 13, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #376 of 652
Quote:
So you mean the fabric part? I didn't get a CF feel from that, but I expect CF to be a finished material - not raw carbon fabric. I always felt the SA5000 was meant to look somewhat unique, and the SA3000 was meant to play off of the 010. Then again, if memory serves - the 010 is about 4 years newer than the entire MDR-SA line.

According to my notes the Qualia was introduced in April, 2004, and the MDR-SA5000 (and 3000, 1000) in December 2004. They were the third (or fourth, counting the R10) generation of biocellulose drivers.

SA5000 has rubber back, SA3000 probably the same embossed cardboard as the SA1000. Behind the drivers themselves are only a thin piece of black paper, dust cover.

SA5000 unboxing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u148pWr7I4w

SA3000 unboxing (and comparison with the SA3000):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUN1amM7cqg

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #377 of 652
According to my notes the Qualia was introduced in April, 2004, and the MDR-SA5000 (and 3000, 1000) in December 2004. They were the third (or fourth, counting the R10) generation of biocellulose drivers.

My understanding is that the SA series came about around 2002, but that may be incorrect. And I have no doubt that Sony would not be helpful in answering that question. :frowning2:

I also thought the SA series did not use biocellulouse - user manual says "Nanocomposite" and my understanding is they (and the Qualias) have more in common with the Z1000 and it's kin, than the R10 and CD3000 and that lineage.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #379 of 652
SA5k

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #380 of 652
Interestingly, I had a chance to check out the HD800, and I see now why people think the bulid on the SA5k is better. It really does look and feel like a beautiful ad intricate thing in comparison to the solid but staid HD800.

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #381 of 652
Interestingly, I had a chance to check out the HD800, and I see no why people think the bulid on the SA5k is better. It really does look and feel like a beautiful ad intricate thing in comparison to the solid but staid HD800.

Yeah, the SA5000 is probably the best "in the hand" headphone I've ever come across. I think the overall build quality isn't the best ever (but it's up there), but they're certainly an experience to unbox and hold. Even compared to substantially more expensive models.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #382 of 652
Quote:
Yeah, the SA5000 is probably the best "in the hand" headphone I've ever come across. I think the overall build quality isn't the best ever (but it's up there), but they're certainly an experience to unbox and hold. Even compared to substantially more expensive models.

Wait to have the Qualia in your hand, I think the Qualia build quality and materials are probably the best out there...and still a few levels above the top hps of today.

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #383 of 652
I have my headphones open and ready to be recabled, the SA -3000 cable is the worst part on this hps. I hope to finish them soon and move on to some mods.

Looks like the the inside is made of cardboard material.

The felt part out.

The fabric part that we see from the outside is glued to the cardboard.

I see here a few option for some fun mods, maybe even to try them as semi F-1.
basshead.gif

Full open air hps, with out the fiber / cardboard and the felt.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #384 of 652
i found a way to rip that felt crap out with out messing up the cable. thing is i won't be able to put it back but ohh well. i have better materials around the house anyways(like polyfill,r-19 mineral wool/stone wool, r-19 fiberglass).

now the back of the driver is completely free-aired. gonna give them listen in a bit. i just have them hooked up to speaker outs of my yamaha m-45 class A power amp and using a kenwood c2 basic preamp to drive the yamaha.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #385 of 652
removing the paper felt does defiantly make them open. you can tell difference by placing/moving hand back and forth from behind the opening. seems they get less brighter tone too or that might be because i have thick piece of craft foam on the wall part of the baffle or whatever you call it. right now back of the driver is completely open. the pads are fluffed out a bit using cotton of course. i find nothing wrong with the bass too much since if you have good seal and distance from the ear you should still maintain good amount of bass. they do sound more open now. also i wonder what sony was thinking? that woven fabric paper is junk.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #387 of 652
sorry, was meant to post them like couple days ago but i tend to lose track of time since i like to keep myself busy here and there. anyhoo, heres a couple...

IMG_20120716_203220png800x600.png

IMG_20120716_203738png800x600.png

IMG_20120716_203256png800x600.png

as you see, i used the same craft foam stuff that was recommended for the hd800's. this though, i got is 2mm thickness(i have no idea what was for the hd800). i just cut enough to place on the wall of the baffle as you see or, whatever you call it(used some washable kids glue stick to glue the craft foam on to stay. don't have to worry since the glue does wash off easily). in my head it should absorb some inside reflections when wearing the headphone from the ear.

i did experiment placing light density of r-19 roxual stone wool in there first and it did clean up the sound pretty nicely,especially the midrange but wanted to see how they do completely open back where the driver is free-aired. you can see the inside and back of the driver in the pic.

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #389 of 652
i haven't tried placing the wool in there yet with the felt completely removed. i did try some before i decided to remove the felt and the imaging was great and they acted like a closed headphone how well the wool allowed outside noise to be absorbed too. with the felt removed they become more open sounding even though the treble does decrease a tad(reason why is probably like room modes, there was reflections inside causing peak somewhere in the treble or something like that. just a guess). they still have good clean sound though and plenty of bass for my taste. as always though if want to increase bass coupling even more and imaging you can always do it the cheap person way of stuffing cotton underneath the pads.

i will experiment with the wool again later on but, right now i like the backs fully open and will give them more a listen before i do anything else.

EDIT: just wanted to quick edit here before i take off for the day(gonna be a busy training day woot!). i did not give a good explanation and i apologize. by more open yes them being fully open does improve overall imaging ability even though the sa5000 themselves already have pretty darn good imaging abilty compared to some stax(atleast the couple lambda models i heard. still find the pros out of the lambda series to image the best). treble and top though is conformed to be bit more relaxed but i think has something to do with the foam inside on the baffle wall too. placing mineral wool will increase the treble response but as always is still pretty darn smooth and not grainy or harsh in my experience. kinda reminds me of my DF's treble but my df's do have slightly more top but slight to me. i noticed this testing real quick ''Ghosts Of Paraguay - Pray''. the top in that song is bright and shows through my df's and the lambda pros. on the sa5000 completely open it sounds more relaxed to be honest for some odd reason but still very smooth and good detail extraction. will listen more later on tonight. this is just real quick explanation

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #390 of 652
Thanks for the photos, by placing the wool did you increase the L-R of the image...any change in the sound when removing the round black felt ?

sorry for lateness. i finally got around experimenting with these and i have to say the sa5000 has some potential for improvement. they sounded pretty darn clean already but with little damping you can make them cleaner sounding i think. i tried my usual r-19 stone wool plus bit of polyfill to add more volume in the enclosure for bass to try to keep everything even as possible. the sa5000 seem to keep it's top but losing bit of air going completely open. midrange sounded bit warmer too. not enough air in female vocals and wind and string instruments and, of course bells.

the mineral wool plus polyfill plus stuffing the pads to distance them seem to improve the sa5000 a good deal in my opinion, especially vocals. people wonder if imaging decrease cause i decided to block the openings with mineral wool? nope. i still find the imaging very open left and right and a good center but that's of course due to the air contributing to the imaging ability. i don't know if cause nature of the sa5000 drivers(or probably my damping but i made sure to cut everything evenly but who knows)but, bass below 100hz to me still seems bit uneven but even with that, music still sounds pretty fine and darn good. of course still lighter in bass compared to my df's.

EDIT: i forgot to mention you might need bit extra amping for these if you are gonna stuff the crap out of the cups. extra volume equals more work for the driver. i notice this when i switched from my h/k 725 preamp headphone out to the speaker outputs of my yamaha m-45 power amp(using kenwood C2 basic as a preamp for the yamaha) it sounded good bit different but who knows...maybe in my head?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back