Who still has the Sony SA5000?
Nov 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #437 of 652
OMG! I think the unthinkable has just happened. I went to plug into my beloved SA5000s into my bifrost>lyr/ef-5 after about a one week hiatus from listening....and they sound like they are producing mono sound. a really bad mono sound. both channels seem to work, but its completely lifeless, i can crank the lyr up almost all the way and it barely gets much louder. its not the amp, i swapped my he-5s and they sound fine. 

does anyone know what this could be? is it the cable? both drivers work and theres absolutely no tear or damage to the cable whatsoever. i'm so scared i'm going to lose my precious sonys. they were my first high-end purchase too. please help. thank you

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #439 of 652
OMG! I think the unthinkable has just happened. I went to plug into my beloved SA5000s into my bifrost>lyr/ef-5 after about a one week hiatus from listening....and they sound like they are producing mono sound. a really bad mono sound. both channels seem to work, but its completely lifeless, i can crank the lyr up almost all the way and it barely gets much louder. its not the amp, i swapped my he-5s and they sound fine. 

does anyone know what this could be? is it the cable? both drivers work and theres absolutely no tear or damage to the cable whatsoever. i'm so scared i'm going to lose my precious sonys. they were my first high-end purchase too. please help. thank you

Stock cable? The CJC is a known failure point on the SA5k.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #441 of 652
yup....its definitely the cable. wow. just tried them again. I can't find a precise location but if i take the cable somewhere near halfway and hold between my fingers and squeeze and twist a little, the sound comes back. once i let go we're back to mono. i've had a good run with these, going over 2 years of constant enjoyment.

well now that i'm basically in mourning i have some questions:

can i send away for these to be recabled? if so, can you give me suggestions for a place. i'm in the states.
also assuming i did opt for the recable, how much do you think it would cost me? i would need someone else to do this for me as i'm not very good at fixing anything, let alone electronics.

thanks again guys

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #443 of 652
Quote:
yup....its definitely the cable. wow. just tried them again. I can't find a precise location but if i take the cable somewhere near halfway and hold between my fingers and squeeze and twist a little, the sound comes back. once i let go we're back to mono. i've had a good run with these, going over 2 years of constant enjoyment.
well now that i'm basically in mourning i have some questions:
can i send away for these to be recabled? if so, can you give me suggestions for a place. i'm in the states.
also assuming i did opt for the recable, how much do you think it would cost me? i would need someone else to do this for me as i'm not very good at fixing anything, let alone electronics.
thanks again guys

BTG audio will do them at a pretty good price. I'd look into them for these headphones. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #444 of 652
Or qusp

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #445 of 652
Got my SA5000s back up and working again after half a decade of no Sony love!

The cable had died (standard) and I think I just went and got a pair of AD2000s. Well one of the channels on there died...attempted to resolder it back as I have done many times before and all hell broke lose - the contacts are messed up beyond belief with plastic melted over them etc..so in anger at my poor workmanship decided to get an old HD600 cable (broken at the tips as well...standard) and put it to some functional use on my SA5ks... And now I have returned to audio nirvana (compared to the V150 cr@p I was using!).

Huge amount more bass than the AD2000s...vocals sometimes appear 'clearer', appears to have a greater soundstage/positioning than my AD2000s; as in where I would only hear certain things in a general left or right position with the AD2000s, they have a defined place in the left or right sphere. Too much solder fumes to be any greater of a wordsmith to better describe it I'm afraid right now!

I'm not saying they are better than the AD2000s but I'm thoroughly enjoying reliving these things again and how it does things different to what I've listened for the past few years. And this is only after two songs. However I am waiting for the next thing to break on them ;p

Now just need to get the old CD3ks and Taket back to working order :> (The headphone fairy has been working overtime destroying my headphones)

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #446 of 652
So whats the verdict on a proper amplifier that can drive the SA5000's? I am highly considering purchasing the SA5000's and want to get a good amp to match. The Schiit Lyr seem to be of high praise to the middle ranged headphones out there, or is there something the fits the specs better?

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #448 of 652
Quote:
I didn't mind the CI VHP with them, but I found them fairly unpicky and easy to drive - as their specs and measured data would suggest. Just make sure you have something with good channel tracking and a quiet pot and you'll be set.

i cant see how 1500mw drivers at 70ohms is simply easy. That may be the reason why people think they have an overly high treble, undercutting power can have that effect certainly on a stiff diaphragm. But for clarification the CI VHP is the Ciaudio VHP-(2)? that's what i find when i search it.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #449 of 652
Quote:
i cant see how 1500mw drivers at 70ohms is simply easy. That may be the reason why people think they have an overly high treble, undercutting power can have that effect certainly on a stiff diaphragm. But for clarification the CI VHP is the Ciaudio VHP-(2)? that's what i find when i search it.

1500mw? That information doesn't make sense. The SA5000 are incredibly easy to drive compared to other inefficient low resistance headphones. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #450 of 652
Quote:
So whats the verdict on a proper amplifier that can drive the SA5000's? I am highly considering purchasing the SA5000's and want to get a good amp to match. The Schiit Lyr seem to be of high praise to the middle ranged headphones out there, or is there something the fits the specs better?

The sa5000s sound wonderful through the lyr. it may just be the premium tubes I have, but the background is dead silent and the phones really sing. I have not heard anything better, but then again I havent heard everything. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back