who spent less than 20 bucks after joining head-fi and why?????
Feb 27, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #16 of 113
Within my first week and already spent $77. Cant join this club.
frown.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #18 of 113
All I've bought are the HD-201's...nothing else. Lucky me, I guess, and it's mostly because the HD595's I ordered were backordered for more than a month and I cancelled them.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #21 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by graphis_7
guess none
confused.gif

that sure looks to be the case

why do you ask?

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #22 of 113
I got a login just to buy stuff in the trade forums.... it's an excellent marketplace as most people you're trading with are real enthusiasts who keep their stuff in good condition - there's also more choice than on ebay or anywhere else on the internet, people communicate more than on ebay in my experience and I've traded with friendly people.

The trouble with all enthusiast forums is no matter what you have, someone else has more expensive stuff and suddenly your high-end equipment feels inferior - easy to get carried away. On Ferrari forums, if you have a 360 Modena you're a n00b without an Enzo. Join Porsche forum with a 911 GT2? well someone's got two carrera GTs because they couldn't decide between silver and yellow... you've just got to keep things in proportion!

I joined the Naim forum and suddenly my $3000 CD player was the absolute bottom of the run - everyone's telling me how much better their CDX / CDS is, my $1000 AC/DC converter, which to me seemed ridiculous, is pwned by supercap at $4000 and my NAP250 power amp is dwarfed by everyone's active crossovers feeding 6x mono amps...

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #23 of 113
Well I'm one of the few in the "less than $20" club. I've bought a pair of KSC75's, since I can't find the pair of portapro's that I've had for years.

Basically I haven't decided what I want yet. Since there is pretty much no way to listen to any headphone before purchase, I've been trying to decide what to get as a higher end phone. I listened to the SR60's because a friend of mine has them, but there simply wasn't enough difference between those and the 75's to justify the cost. Plus they felt extremely hot on my ears.

After reading a fair amount I thought of getting MS-1's, and this still may be the road I go down. But there is still that comfort issue. Other than that, I've thought of getting something higher end, and just "cutting to the chase". The DT880's appeal to me because of the comfort factor, as well as other info I've read about them. But these are pretty much out of my range for now, unless I manage to snap up one of the pairs that goes used for $150-170 occasionally. I've also considered the HD580's since they can be had for a pretty good price brand new these days, and I've liked the descriptions of the HD555's, plus they are even less expensive.

The DT880's of course pretty much require an amp, so that has to be figured in too. Not that this would have been ideal for them, but I almost upped my total to $70 last week when I was a little to late to purchase a PA2V2 for $50 shipped.

So I'm still at a sort of crossroads. I'm not really using the KSC75's becase I simply don't like the ear clips. It's not that they are uncomfortable while they are on, but I answer phones at my job (where I would be doing 90% of my headphone listening) and it's the taking them off and putting them back on that I find overly annoying. I'm guessing that at the very least a pair of sportapro's would be better for me here. But I would like having something better, that is comfortable, that can be powered off one of the low-cost but decent amps like the PA2v2.

I'll bite the bullet eventually and just buy something, so I at least have a starting point
smily_headphones1.gif
There is that pair of SR225's with c-pads for $210 for sale...
smily_headphones1.gif

Chris

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #24 of 113
if i all of a sudden make a new screen name and start posting, would that count as spending less than $20 after joining?

I'm not sure what the total running tally is for me at all, especially since i've sold a lot of things and have made some modifications to my equipment. for example, i have a tube amp which i got solely to mod into a headphone amp, but i turned it back into a dedicated speaker amp. on the other hand, i've bought and sold the following: SR80 (pre-head-fi purchase, post head-fi sell), a sony walkman thing, creative labs dap, ath-a900, k501, er4, sr325i (i planned to return it the day i bought it, and jamey knew it), go-vibe, a past cmoy... the list can go on. at least i'm good at getting rid of the stuff during my bouts with upgradeitis
wink.gif

but with the equipment now (and rounding)...
K701 - $300
CMOY - $40
Rotel CDP - $460
various cables - $30
my "power cord" - $20
Porta corda usb - $300
total CURRENT - $1150 not including small parts and sold equipment

and of course, i'm planning on an all-in-one project. this will include the following: speaker/headphone tube amps, usb dac, and a nice box for it to go in. so far the estimate is $700, although my aim is to be <$500. with some more research and smart buying, i can probably pull it off. but curse you head-fi!!!!!

but fortunately for me, that should be my last investment until i graduate and get a nice house, in which case i will invest in a nice home entertainment room. i can pretty much guarantee that since the last meet i went to, i realized how good i personally think my gear is, and thanks to morsel and amb, how costly things can get for such little improvement. (i know it's not true, but with the mini3 and the m3 auditioned, i'd like to keep that illusion before my wallet shoots me with a shotgun
wink.gif
)

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #26 of 113
Somewhere around $7900CDN (incl. all cables and power conditioning... and ALL purchased used!) is caressing my ears at this moment, all spent BEFORE joining Head-Fi - so I am in the club - I haven't spent a dime since joining!
rs1smile.gif

If I go any further, it'll be to replace the RA1 with something fully balanced and re-cable the RS1's to match, but can't imagine the gain would be worth anywhere near the expenditure...

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #28 of 113
After joining head-fi i paid $260 for super fi 5 pros(still waiting to amazed when they arrive in about two days)

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #29 of 113
If not a pair of Grados I would be one of those guys. Some "free" upgrades were: DIY headamp (made of rubbish), AD8620 in my 1212M.
Curse! I remembered a handful of Dynalo parts wating for assembly.

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #30 of 113
I've spent $0 on gear since joining head-fi, but I've more than doubled my budget
icon10.gif

I have, however, spent some money to support Head-Fi and I encourage other new members to do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back