who spent less than 20 bucks after joining head-fi and why?????
Jun 4, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #106 of 113
There is no way that it gonna happen... I got my ibasso after joining and a UE SF5Pro coming up~
basshead.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #107 of 113
hmm, got my sony mdr-v700dj's in middle school as a gift, which i loved for the longest time, then come high school i broke like 3 pairs in a row, and warranty covered them all, so i wanted something better, so i found head-fi on recommendation/warning from the hardforum.

Came over here and did some research, went around to guitar center and american music and such places nearby to trial some stuff, eventually ordered some ATH-A900's online, and when I wanted to go on vacation I decided I wanted a portable amp, so I had a great experience dealing with the electric-avenues/PA2V2 guy who cross-shipped with me to get it to me on time for my flight, very awesome guy.

Also grabbed some Sennheiser HD201's and some KSC-75's around this time and was very happy with those also. Gave the HD201's to a friend who needed a set with a computer I built for him using a bunch of old parts that were still a big upgrade for him, and the KSC-75's are missing one of the ear-clips, I'm going to try and find another set and do the headband swap because I really dislike clip-ons...

Was happy with that setup via a cheapo line out dock for my iPod (which was also a gift, 4G 20GB), that was very shortly after I joined head-fi, now I've been happy and pretty much on hiatus with my headphone upgrades until this past month.

I got a new nano, was happy with the portable earbuds for walking around campus, that came with my macbook for college, was pretty out of money while there and focused on slowly upgrading my desktop, which i did, now I'm back home and got a new TV for my birthday/christmas and bought myself a home theater system to go with it, and bought all the cables on monoprice, got all my audio going digital instead of analog, and found out that the quality from my pc receiver with a digital input was just amazing in comparison.

So that sprung me into action wanting a DAC, found the Zero on ebay, but read the thread here on head-fi, then read about the Compass and found out there was a guy pretty close by who had one who would let me listen to it for a bit, so I took him up on that opportunity. Ordered some ATH-A950LTD's for the occasion after reading some good impressions of those.

Loved the Compass when I tried it out and it's versatility was great, it was a huge upgrade for my headphones. Tried to revive my 20gb 4G by mixing and matching parts with my dads 40gb 4G to no avail, they were both dead already so no loss to me. I then decided to grab a classic cause I knew my iPhone wouldn't be nearly enough space to hold all my albums in lossless :p so I got to ripping them while I shopped around for a Classic after ordering a Compass of my own. The 120gb Classic I purchased on NewEgg as 'recertified' for 198.99 shipped arrived on monday, and the Compass arrived yesterday, the ATH-A950LTD's arrived two weeks ago before I demo'd the other Compass, those were 334.50 shipped, ordered some Grado SR-80i's last night for 95 shipped on Amazon, and otherwise some cheap 25$ HD201's and some 10$ KSC-75's..

So I've spent a little under a grand here, 198.99 ipod, 324.48 shipped Compass, 334.50 shipped ATH-A950LTD's, PA2V2 68 shipped, 20~ ipod dock,25~ Senn HD201's, 10~ KSC-75's. I'm doing pretty well I would say :p

On my list is a Wadia 170iTransport to get digital out from my iPod Classic, but I want to use the Apple Remote with it, so I'm going to get an Apple Universal Dock and a Dock Extender cable like I have in my car, so I can have both hooked up for all the functionality I want. But before that happens I'll have to get the new iPhone coming soon here, and sell my iPhone 3G.

So I guess that's my head-fi story, and I'm very happy with it all!

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #108 of 113
Well, I haven't bought any headphones since joining, technically. KBI still has my DT48as. I can't wait!

I did buy a lot of other audio stuff since joining.
A Harman Kardon AVR210 $20 (Yeah, really.)
A Beogram 2402 $60
A pair of SuperZeros $100
A Phono Preamp $25

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #109 of 113
Hmm... what did I buy since being here?

V-Moda Vibes
Grado SR-60
iBasso D2 Viper
Grado headphiled HF-1
Grado headphiled GS-1000
Trafomatic EXPERIENCE Head One
AKG K240 Sextetts EP
MHDT Havana
Asus Xonar D2X
SignalCable Silver Resolution + Silver Bullets
analog-research technology U-byte

...quite a lot of money for a poor student. At least I understand these "I'm sorry for your wallet!" statements now, and every time someone new asks for help I feel really sorry for these poor souls. Hehe but that's it.

Oh and I almost forgot: I have HF-2's on the way
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #110 of 113
I've spent more time improving my speaker setup and sticking with the good inexpensive headphones. Too afraid to buy the pricier stuff because I'm afraid of not liking any one headphone's sound. No places to audition out here.
Px100 $30 on sale
Ksc75 $15 on sale
Koss Portapro $35
Audio Technica Ad500 $50 - Liked em at first but have come to disappoint me.

So not below 20 but definitely not in the thousands.

All in all I keep coming back to the Ksc75's. They aren't perfect(what headphone is?) But they are so musical and full of life and easy on the ears.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #112 of 113
I actually spent negative amount of money....yes, it's true....for every dollar I've spent on audio equipment, the equipment has paid me back two fold in enjoyment, appreciation, stress relief and sheer wonder and delight.

Good luck...and if you did want to listen on a budget...the ksc75 is amazing and guiltless and it'll have you spinning your head looking for the sound you swear was coming from behind you or just off to the side....ipod shuffle and the ksc75...sweet and simple!!

Having said that...incoming: hd800 and hf-2.

enjoy life....carpe diem...can't take it with ya, now.

IN JUDE AND TODD I TRUST

PEACE

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #113 of 113
bought a byer dt770 before i found out about head-fi, after reciecing my dt770 i got interested as its my first ''good?'' headphones, then i saw the chinese headphones thread on here and read all the topics, i registerd 2 days ago, and orderd these headphones passed 2 days:
takstar pro 82 ( first version, only found out there was a better v2 after i already orderd it. 60 usd
ISK MDH9000 53 usd
takstar hi2050 54 usd( orderd this before i found out there were better ones for the price today, feel kind of bad about this purchase.)
fxaudio dac x6 mini 53 usd

Stil waiting for all of these

also thinking of buying ISK HP2011, but i managed to hold myself untill now,

edit: forgot prices

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back