who says the er4-p/s don't have bass?!!
Aug 31, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no the ety's bass is pegged back to reduce distortion,its as simple as that,big bass dont mean bad bass,and the er4's lack much bass at all which is why people state its just tight and more accurate.

is that claiming big bass is less accurate,if anybody can do big acvcurate bass ety should be able to and it begs the question why havnt they.and ill answer,because big ety fans claim accuracy is ruined by big bass,that just isnt true,and etymotics held back in the bass to give the impression of more accuracy.

just my opinion ofcourse im not aiming to tick any ety fans off of which there are many i do like the ety's ive just never understood why no bass is classed as accurate bass

First, did you ever listen to the ER4P? If so, did you ever try different tips to get the best seal possible? Claiming that the ER4P have no bass is quite ignorant. With the Shure black foamies, I get great bass response and I can hear every note tight and clear, though the impact is not as good as the Shure E500. Would I like a little bit more bass? Yes, but I would never trade the incredible treble extension and fast attack of the ER4 for more boominess in the lower register.

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First, did you ever listen to the ER4P? If so, did you ever try different tips to get the best seal possible? Claiming that the ER4P have no bass is quite ignorant. With the Shure black foamies, I get great bass response and I can hear every note tight and clear, though the impact is not as good as the Shure E500. Would I like a little bit more bass? Yes, but I would never trade the incredible treble extension and fast attack of the ER4 for more boominess in the lower register.

first of all yes ive listened to many many headphones and mainly iem's,and yes its a bold statement they have no bass but i mean in comparison to most shures and most ue's and so on and so on these lack the most bass of high end iem's.

also why is it all ety fans tend to think just because they are accurate they are lightning fast,this is a misconception of the word fast and speed,the smaller the speaker,driver or armature the faster it will respond the actual sound does not determine speed,a 10'' sub responds quicker than a 15'' thats the way it works,a 10'' gives tighter bass a 15'' has boomier.dont claim to know speed unless you know how it works

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #18 of 31
and as i stated more bass dont mean more boom,that is why i dont like the er4's too much because they can be just as accurate and clean with more bass,that bass dont have to mean more boom,just more impact and texture,ety can do it but they didnt they held back

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

first of all yes ive listened to many many headphones and mainly iem's,and yes its a bold statement they have no bass but i mean in comparison to most shures and most ue's and so on and so on these lack the most bass of high end iem's.

also why is it all ety fans tend to think just because they are accurate they are lightning fast,this is a misconception of the word fast and speed,the smaller the speaker,driver or armature the faster it will respond the actual sound does not determine speed,a 10'' sub responds quicker than a 15'' thats the way it works,a 10'' gives tighter bass a 15'' has boomier.dont claim to know speed unless you know how it works

LMAO about this whole post.
icon10.gif

So, I'm an Ety fanboy and I claim that I know speed ?! Wait, I just re-read my post and see no mention of that. Anyway, I'm going to stop the discussion here, from what I see in your other threads, it's not worth discussing with you...

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #20 of 31
The E500 does have pretty boomy bass to the point where it hinders my enjoyment of certain types of music. The ER4P/S, on the other hand, does lack a bit of bass response. For my type of music (mainly classical), I would rather sacrifice a bit of the latter for clarity and a more prominent treble. I have owned the ER4P/S and the E500 and although the E500 is overall the better IEM (obviously IMO), I still admire the clinical accuracy of the ER4P/S. It's much like the sound of the HE60. The E500 would be the SR-007 of the electrostat world.

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E500 does have pretty boomy bass to the point where it hinders my enjoyment of certain types of music. The ER4P/S, on the other hand, does lack a bit of bass response. For my type of music (mainly classical), I would rather sacrifice a bit of the latter for clarity and a more prominent treble. I have owned the ER4P/S and the E500 and although the E500 is overall the better IEM (obviously IMO), I still admire the clinical accuracy of the ER4P/S. It's much like the sound of the HE60. The E500 would be the SR-007 of the electrostat world.

Interestingly, that's almost exactly how I feel about the E500 and ER-4P, except that unamped I don't like the E500 very much. Amped, it's quite good, but the bass is rather boomy.

I haven't tried every single tip on the ER-4P but I have tried a lot. EQ, or a matching synergistic source (the Kenwood/Ety synergy is terrific) was the only real way to get serious bass out of them. I guess I don't have the right ear canal shape/size to get a truly good fit.

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #22 of 31
I can appreciate that people have different tastes, both in music and headphones, but it is simply not true that the ER4P/S delivers decent bass response. Indeed, that's why the highs are so prevalent -- there's not much to else to distract you from them.

You may well prefer the Ety sound signature, and certainly your choice of earpieces will make a difference. But there are many many better choices out there.

Sep 1, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can appreciate that people have different tastes, both in music and headphones, but it is simply not true that the ER4P/S delivers decent bass response. Indeed, that's why the highs are so prevalent -- there's not much to else to distract you from them.

You may well prefer the Ety sound signature, and certainly your choice of earpieces will make a difference. But there are many many better choices out there.

"better choices" for some things, not for others. the er4s is still one of my favorites for critical listening, though i agree that it's not the most fun or high-energy headphone around. still, i also don't believe that its bass response is as poor as many say.

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
still, i also don't believe that its bass response is as poor as many say.

I'm with you ! Source is important.

Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
Indeed, that's why the highs are so prevalent -- there's not much to else to distract you from them.

If this theory is correct then does it work in reverse...cut the bass from the Shures and the treble improves.
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2.they are in my opinion a one trick pony and its a decent trick the highs really are unrivalled but bass is meant to be heard and in home speaker terms its meant to be felt but thats not really possible with earphones so when you cant really hear the bass in headphones its safe to say bass is therfor lacking,of course bass thats too loud is overwhelming and boomy but you simply cant hear it well enough in the er4's to be classed good bass
basshead.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

if this theory is correct then does it work in reverse...cut the bass from the Shures and the treble improves.
tongue.gif

Yes ofcourse it will improve because you can hear it more if the bass is reduced,but its unfair to say that because bass does take away from highs,but highs dont take away from lows so there is no excuse for the lack off bass in the ety's.

but there is a reason the highs on the shures are so called lacking and thats because many hear the bass more than highs giving that rolled off effect
cool.gif
the ety's have great highs but i guarantee if ety added another driver for bass those highs wont be nearly as special,that is why i say the er4 are a one trick pony,etymotic knew what they were doing and thats why they held back with the bass!
lambda.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Yes ofcourse it will improve because you can hear it more if the bass is reduced,but its unfair to say that because bass does take away from highs,but highs dont take away from lows so there is no excuse for the lack off bass in the ety's.

but there is a reason the highs on the shures are so called lacking and thats because many hear the bass more than highs giving that rolled off effect
cool.gif
the ety's have great highs but i guarantee if ety added another driver for bass those highs wont be nearly as special,that is why i say the er4 are a one trick pony,etymotic knew what they were doing and thats why they held back with the bass!
lambda.gif

None of that reasoning makes much sense to me. If I "EQ" the bass for my ER4 using my Aphex 204 all of that wonderful treble is still there...along with BIG bass that equals my HD 650.

I never liked the treble from my E4 unless I EQ'd them boosting treble in the 12~16 KHz. range. I don't believe that any amount of bass reduction would help this matter of "lacking" highs.

-just my opinion.

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've owned ER4's for years and years and I love their capacity to render delicate musical detail. But they just do NOT exhibit much bass reproduction unless you use a source that allows considerable EQ adjustment. Use foamies, use rubber eartips, use whatever you want, the fundamental reality doesn't change. Yes, you can "hear" the bass and it's totally non-distorted, but it's just plain weak, and I do consider this a weakness of the product(s).

I hope that Etymotic hasn't simply folded their collective arms and take the stance that the "problem" is with unsophisticated listeners who just don't realize how great their products' bass response actually is. I hope they are working on a new model or two that maintains the quality that Etymotics have been known for but which also provide stronger bass response.

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGreenberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned ER4's for years and years and I love their capacity to render delicate musical detail. But they just do NOT exhibit much bass reproduction unless you use a source that allows considerable EQ adjustment. Use foamies, use rubber eartips, use whatever you want, the fundamental reality doesn't change. Yes, you can "hear" the bass and it's totally non-distorted, but it's just plain weak, and I do consider this a weakness of the product(s).

I hope that Etymotic hasn't simply folded their collective arms and take the stance that the "problem" is with unsophisticated listeners who just don't realize how great their products' bass response actually is. I hope they are working on a new model or two that maintains the quality that Etymotics have been known for but which also provide stronger bass response.

Yes I agree. It's really a "duh" factor. As a Super Fi Pro and E530 fan, I would say if you could thicken the sound some on ER-4 it would reign as the best IEM on the market. But those ETY folks seem totally uninterested in investing a dime on R & D for future products. Oh, but I guess we have the stellar ER-8 wireless....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back