who says the er4-p/s don't have bass?!!
Aug 24, 2007 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

jcn3

1000+ Head-Fier
i always have thought the er4 bass was decent -- went sorta low but that weakness was offset by the great mid and highs and the overall clarity.

guess what? i've got huge ear holes!!

i've always used the grey foamies that came with them and wondered if they were big enough and whether i got a good seal. finally broke down and ordered the big yellow ones.

after opening the package, i thought "no way i'll be able to get those in my ears!"

well they fit and they have transformed the er4 experience -- i finally got a good seal! if you think the er4 bass is light, you owe it to yourself to try these babies. they make the bass full, rich, and have weight!

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 31
I'm using the Shure black foamies and the bass is very sufficient for my tastes, though not "big" like the Shure E500. I have yet to compare with other tips, but the black foamies are so comfortable that I don't feel the need to change.

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 31
Me. Owned them twice and sold them twice. You DO hear bass tones but there is no impact, no fullness of sound (Oomph) and no soundstage (unless you have an EQ'able amp). They do detail nicely but that's about it. They were made for, and still are, studio monitor IEM's. I much prefer E530's and even my Super Fi's for overall music listening enjoyment.

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me. Owned them twice and sold them twice. You DO hear bass tones but there is no impact, no fullness of sound (Oomph) and no soundstage (unless you have an EQ'able amp). They do detail nicely but that's about it. They were made for, and still are, studio monitor IEM's. I much prefer E530's and even my Super Fi's for overall music listening enjoyment.

Spyro -- that sounds like the same experience I was having before getting the big yellow foamies. I would bet you weren't getting a good seal. Glad you're happy with what you've got.

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 31
I know it for fact and experience. Just sometimes in some music, less attenuated bass gives perception of a "tighter" hence "better" bass than other IEMs. If the new sleeves work for you, then that's great.

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 31
I equalize heavily my Etys, since their bass is not enough for me, even with the black foamies.
Still, the bass is very detailed and well textured, even with the bass boost.

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 31
I have always found foam-roll type tips to increase bass... regardless of the IEM.

IMHO the er4 has plenty of bass, even with silicone tips.

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2! my thoughts exactly on the er4 bass response...its there but bass is only rich and full when its delivered with power,punch and texture,something multi driver earphones tend to do better,although some would say (me inparticular) that dual drivers tend to be boomy but triple's certainly show off low end quality IMHO so far with my experiences anyway

Aug 30, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 31
I just have a hard time going back to Etys. In addition to the bass thing..I have really gotten use to the "spacious" sound of the E530's and Super Fi's. I just love the sound of the music sounding outside around my head. The Etys seem to keep it between your ears and it becomes fatiguing, at least to me.

I whole heartedly agree that the Ety's are accurate but it doesn't translate into the most pleasing IEM sound choice for me. Not intended to be a rip or anything. I guess I just like more fabrication/color in my sound.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcn3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i always have thought the er4 bass was decent -- went sorta low but that weakness was offset by the great mid and highs and the overall clarity.

guess what? i've got huge ear holes!!

i've always used the grey foamies that came with them and wondered if they were big enough and whether i got a good seal. finally broke down and ordered the big yellow ones.

after opening the package, i thought "no way i'll be able to get those in my ears!"

well they fit and they have transformed the er4 experience -- i finally got a good seal! if you think the er4 bass is light, you owe it to yourself to try these babies. they make the bass full, rich, and have weight!

You have BIG ears LOL!
etysmile.gif

And yet again for the record. ER-4 will NOT respond favorably to weak source - yes you will hear music - BUT not the 100% of what she can deliver. I have scaled the source/amp ladder so many times discovering the limit of my ER-4 and to this date I believe she can take a lot of juice and the more is fed in the better she sounds.

With the rig that I have now, my ER-4S has super wide sound with very spacious headstage. Bass presence is quite prominent but never overwhelming. A quick listen to MUSE's "Starlight" & "Supermassive Black Hole" reminded me how impactful (very Gradoey), deep and well textured the bass is.

So this only prove that ER-4 sucks with low output source. Plug her in to a Millet or some Tube amps.....

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So this only prove that ER-4 sucks with low output source. Plug her in to a Millet or some Tube amps.....

YES! I love my ER4P(to S) with my Woo 3. I can never get enough
etysmile.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 31
Wow... I just heard the ER4P and WOW... I compared them briefly to the Shure E4Cs both with black olive foamies. The ER4Ps have much better decay and wow... everything seems so nice and detailed.

They're really making me rethink my Future Sonic M5 purchase...

Aug 31, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 31
shrugs...ety's bass is accurate bass from speaker's response. If you hear "what you think so called enough bass" from speaker, it will drive you crazy in 10 minutes.

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 31
no the ety's bass is pegged back to reduce distortion,its as simple as that,big bass dont mean bad bass,and the er4's lack much bass at all which is why people state its just tight and more accurate.

is that claiming big bass is less accurate,if anybody can do big acvcurate bass ety should be able to and it begs the question why havnt they.and ill answer,because big ety fans claim accuracy is ruined by big bass,that just isnt true,and etymotics held back in the bass to give the impression of more accuracy.

just my opinion ofcourse im not aiming to tick any ety fans off of which there are many i do like the ety's ive just never understood why no bass is classed as accurate bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back