Who saw this coming?! LOL Apple Releases Software to Set IPod Volume
Mar 30, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ameyer17
Seriously, I don't see this as a good thing or a bad thing for iPod users.

confused.gif

If you don't need it, don't DL and install
If you need it, DL and install

More choices = consumer wins

Very good thing imho

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ameyer17
Nope. The actual figure is 10 times as loud. Ambulance chaser guy, you are the weakest link, goodbye.
Seriously, I don't see this as a good thing or a bad thing for iPod users.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wikipedia
however experimentation has determined that the response of the human ear results in a perceived doubling of loudness for approximately every 10 dB increase

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
This may sound cruel, but I think we should wait about 10 years until noise-induced hearing loss starts becoming a real problem and starts getting a lot of public attention. Then, the problem will resolve itself as people become aware of the dangers. Trying to persuade people that we really do know better than they do about what they're doing to their hearing is not going to work. Legislature or not, you're probably not going to alter people's listening habits, especially when listening loud has become a status symbol of sorts.

Actually they are saying this is just now starting to appear with the first gen walkman users (remember the tape player walk man's
smily_headphones1.gif
) I will have to find the story again but someone was studying it saying that these first gen users are now reporting hearing loss

Heh Cat Scratch that reminds me about another post I started in the general thread section....http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=1#post2019806

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #19 of 25
Zip 22: yeah, you're right. I was thinking pressure level, you were thinking percieved level.

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #20 of 25
this is a good idea. since the vol of the line out is supposed to be 90 percent volume of the headphone out, i can approximate it using this, then jack vol to full and plug the radio remote into my headphone amp without futzing!

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
this is a good idea. since the vol of the line out is supposed to be 90 percent volume of the headphone out, i can approximate it using this, then jack vol to full and plug the radio remote into my headphone amp without futzing!

My thoughts exactly, which is why I wondered if this was good news.

However, since we have the euro capping of volumes (removed of course by most) then what setting was that? Does Bangraman set his to 90% of the euro capped level when comparing against lineout?

If it turns out well perhaps it'll mean less dock connectors and less arguments about the difference
tongue.gif

Now where do I get it to try it...

Steve

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
My thoughts exactly, which is why I wondered if this was good news.

However, since we have the euro capping of volumes (removed of course by most) then what setting was that? Does Bangraman set his to 90% of the euro capped level when comparing against lineout?

If it turns out well perhaps it'll mean less dock connectors and less arguments about the difference
tongue.gif

Now where do I get it to try it...

Steve

I suppose it depends on whether your machine is Euro Capped. Every UK-spec I've bought so far (for one reason or another all have sadly been from Dixons/PC World) have been uncapped.

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I suppose it depends on whether your machine is Euro Capped. Every UK-spec I've bought so far (for one reason or another all have sadly been from Dixons/PC World) have been uncapped.

It does seem like all the 5Gs slipped through the net
smily_headphones1.gif

All of the 4Gs I've heard though have all been crippled
frown.gif

Freedom of choice - thats what it should be all about
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #25 of 25
With all the fuss about videao games/TV and epilepsy, like on all those japan animes, video game manuals, you d think they could try to communicate better on hearing loss which concerns a far greater number of ppl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back