Who really kept the Fostex T50RP mk3 as a fav daily driver?
Mar 24, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #16 of 22
Ahh, okay. My bad, sorry. I misinterpreted what you were asking. Sorry if what I said came off as condescending.

I've never heard the T50, but I've always been curious about them. I actually have a similar question as you, but coming from the other direction: do people that have the T50RP (mk 3 in particular) that also own higher end cans end up keeping/using the T50RP? Or, if given the chance, would you buy the T50RP again, despite already having higher end cans?

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #17 of 22
Ahh, okay. My bad, sorry. I misinterpreted what you were asking. Sorry if what I said came off as condescending.

I've never heard the T50, but I've always been curious about them. I actually have a similar question as you, but coming from the other direction: do people that have the T50RP (mk 3 in particular) that also own higher end cans end up keeping/using the T50RP? Or, if given the chance, would you buy the T50RP again, despite already having higher end cans?
If you read my post above then you would know :D Yes i use them more than my Nightowl atm.

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #19 of 22

No offence taken at all and your points were valid about people looking for holy grails and defending their choices fiercely, only to be as excited about their new headphones or whatever other gadget after the next purchase. It is nice to hear the voice of reason and thanx for being sensitive to others.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #21 of 22
I modded my T50RP and I am very happy with the sound. No EQ needed anymore. I didn't think this would be possible with modding. I used two Hifimans as a reference to keep my ears calibrated during the process. I am sure there are more pro ways to do this but it worked for me.
-Ear pads thicker
-Cups filled with a lose hard fiber material
-4 of 8 baffle bass ports closed
-One central driver segment covered with foam
-Cotton high filter on fabric part of ear pads

BTW nothing original about it. Just stole the ideas, thought about them, combined them, and implemented.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #22 of 22
I posted in the original thread too: I pretty much bought them without much thinking because i saw them on Amazon Warehouse Deals. I did not think they would amaze me from what Ive read they sound in their umodded form. But they really did, and (at least for the moment) are my favourite headphone beating my Nightowl which is amazing. I cant comprehend how good these sound (unmodded!) for their price. Guess i really like the planar magnetic sound!

I use my stock T50RP MK 3 with a Schiit LOKI Mini and really like it. This headphone has a great midrange and decent bass,
but the treble can be a bit harsh with some music. I use the LOKI to dial down the treble a bit and it works well.

IMHO the T50RP MK3 and the Hifiman HE4XX offer the best value of any planar magnetic headphone. The law of
diminishing returns begins here. 😊

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back