Who really kept the Fostex T50RP mk3 as a fav daily driver?
Mar 20, 2018 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

alwinvrm

New Head-Fier
A headphone that is being mentioned often is the Fostex T50. I read that after modding it may equal a $ 600 headphone while others find it bland sounding. I also bought one (and a few other HPs) and do like aspects of it.

How many people actually keep the T50 as one (or the only) of their favorites? Or is it more like fun to play with as long as it lasts and then people move on to a headphone in the $ 300 or up class?

Didn't want to put this in the mk3 thread, it seemed inappropriate, nor is this purchasing advise.

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 22
Until I sent mine to Mod House Audio to be converted to Argons I was using these as my go to gaming headset. I did mode them with Shure pads basically right away.

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 22
It is a keeper but not in stock form. I heard the Argon at the PA meet a few weeks ago and loved the sound. I'm still waiting to get mine from Mod House. I should have them any day now.

Dekoni came out with their own version so that might be worth a look.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 22
I am new to this hobby and making sensible purchasing decisions is not easy, or maybe I am just overthinking things. Now, modding houses are another complication :smile_phones:

In general sending things back and forth to the US + customs adds 30% or more. This makes good deals in the US, often less good in Europe. Dekoni has dealers for their pads in Europe but they don't seem to carry the modded T50.

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 22
I wouldn't have these as my primary headphone. They need a good amount of power to drive properly. There are sooo many cheap headphones that are good out of the box.

What's your budget? Do you have an amp? What music do you like?

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for your interest. I have a Fiio Q1 that can mostly drive the T50 fine. I also have a Hifiman HE400s. I have some good contact with a headfier who is more experienced and owned the same headphones.

My genres are 60% alt country, 20% classic and 20% whatever modern music. Now I am gravitating towards Selling the HP's (or keeping the T50 because I feel it has a capable driver and mod it) and get the Hifiman HE560. That would be a nice 'get it over with' decision that I would be happy with.

A little voice says though that I started with this hobby like 2 weeks ago and I already spent 500 euros. So the voice of reason says that as a beginner I should slow down sell what I have and get something solid (reference?) for the money. Now, there I fear an endless loop of buying and selling (part of the fun maybe) until I end up with an HE560 or something comparable anyway.

I could also see myself enjoying the T50rp mk3 for some time and if modded that is maybe the best bang for the buck HP. If there is something else out there in a more beginner price range than the HE560, I am of course interested. I notice for example that, although in Europe Sennheiser, Beyer, and AKG are not so much on my radar screen.

Mar 23, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #8 of 22
Have you ever considered IEMs? I got the Brainwavz B400 not that long ago and REALLY like them. They are an amazing value.

I know what you mean... This hobby can get expensive quickly. I recently acquired a Schiit Ragnarok and I can not wait to try the Argons with that AMP. That amp has some serious power and amazing sound quality.

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 22
I posted in the original thread too: I pretty much bought them without much thinking because i saw them on Amazon Warehouse Deals. I did not think they would amaze me from what Ive read they sound in their umodded form. But they really did, and (at least for the moment) are my favourite headphone beating my Nightowl which is amazing. I cant comprehend how good these sound (unmodded!) for their price. Guess i really like the planar magnetic sound!

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 22
I prefer planar. I have the Mr Speakers Aeon Closed and really enjoy it.

You really need to see if you can get your hands on a well modded T50. The Argon sounds way better then stock.

Mar 23, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 22
So, it seems to me that you're not asking for specific headphone advice (like, "which headphone should I buy?"), but you are seeking general headphone opinion/advice ("are these headphones good enough?"). I don't think that's a question people are going to be readily able to answer.
Do you like them? If so, why do you want to upgrade already?
Don't fool yourself into thinking the HE-560 or any other headphone is going to be endgame. Every headphone has its faults and there's always going to be something new/better/different that'll pique your interest and have you reaching for your credit card.
My advice: enjoy them until you don't. That moment may come tomorrow or it may never come. Until then, if you enjoy them, why do you want to get rid of them?

Anyway, I know that's not the popular sentiment on head-fi and it's probably not even the one you were hoping for (or the one you'll listen to), but it's my advice and I'm sticking to it!

Happy listening!!

Mar 23, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 22
Thanks for your interest. I have a Fiio Q1 that can mostly drive the T50 fine. I also have a Hifiman HE400s. I have some good contact with a headfier who is more experienced and owned the same headphones.

My genres are 60% alt country, 20% classic and 20% whatever modern music. Now I am gravitating towards Selling the HP's (or keeping the T50 because I feel it has a capable driver and mod it) and get the Hifiman HE560. That would be a nice 'get it over with' decision that I would be happy with.

A little voice says though that I started with this hobby like 2 weeks ago and I already spent 500 euros. So the voice of reason says that as a beginner I should slow down sell what I have and get something solid (reference?) for the money. Now, there I fear an endless loop of buying and selling (part of the fun maybe) until I end up with an HE560 or something comparable anyway.

I could also see myself enjoying the T50rp mk3 for some time and if modded that is maybe the best bang for the buck HP. If there is something else out there in a more beginner price range than the HE560, I am of course interested. I notice for example that, although in Europe Sennheiser, Beyer, and AKG are not so much on my radar screen.

The original Q1 or the Q1MKII? (The Q1MKII may be underpowered for the T50 in single-ended output.)

The T50 is a perfectly fine headphone even without modding, although the stock pads are terrible. Just changing the pads can make a big improvement in usability sound quality.

As to the original question, when I'm at home, I reach for my Modhouse Argons about as often as I do for my HD800. (Very different headphones with different strengths.)

The majority of my actual listening time is probably at work though, where I mostly use iSine 20's.

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 22
@gc335
I live in The Netherlands and I am not sure there are many modded T50's around, let alone getting my hands on one. But who knows, it would great to hear a modded T50. Yes, in ears, a pair of 6 euro Chinese in ears started this hobby. I find in ears very comfortable and I ordered some pairs of the better Chinese ones. I don't know the BrainWavz, and yes I see a lot more equipment on the horizon. But I must be careful that my fanaticism for perfection doesn't get the better of me.

@ninetylol
For me there is a frequency that irritates me in stock T50s, but one ply of toilet paper solves the issue for me. Otherwise there is a lot of appeal to these headphones. I especially like one instrument intros with a lot of empty space where the sounds seem to come from one specific far point.

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 22
So, it seems to me that you're not asking for specific headphone advice (like, "which headphone should I buy?"), but you are seeking general headphone opinion/advice ("are these headphones good enough?"). I don't think that's a question people are going to be readily able to answer.
Do you like them? If so, why do you want to upgrade already?
Don't fool yourself into thinking the HE-560 or any other headphone is going to be endgame. Every headphone has its faults and there's always going to be something new/better/different that'll pique your interest and have you reaching for your credit card.
My advice: enjoy them until you don't. That moment may come tomorrow or it may never come. Until then, if you enjoy them, why do you want to get rid of them?

Anyway, I know that's not the popular sentiment on head-fi and it's probably not even the one you were hoping for (or the one you'll listen to), but it's my advice and I'm sticking to it!

Happy listening!!
Haha, Thanks, I am too old to believe in the holy grail of headphones or in any other hobby. That is why I see in my future a lot of headphone purchases and comparing. To save myself the trouble I could just jump to a higher price bracket and be satisfied a bit longer. But the longer road is also interesting and has a learning effect. So, all is good. You are absolutely right about over analyzing and listening to faults in your system that need continuous improvement rather than just enjoying the music. Same goes for photography forums; people discuss endlessly about pixels that nobody will ever notice, while they forget that subject and composition make the picture.

I am not really seeking purchasing advice but anybody who has a strong feeling about what should come after a T50 is welcome to share.

I like the T50 and I am genuinely interested in whether people keep them a bit longer or see them as a passing diy project. Maybe you could paradoxically reason that the people who are motivated to invest time and effort in modding the T50, have a deep interest in the audio hobby and will thus have the desire to keep on improving their equipment and will thus eventually abandon the T50.

Mar 23, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 22
The original Q1 or the Q1MKII? (The Q1MKII may be underpowered for the T50 in single-ended output.)

The T50 is a perfectly fine headphone even without modding, although the stock pads are terrible. Just changing the pads can make a big improvement in usability sound quality.

As to the original question, when I'm at home, I reach for my Modhouse Argons about as often as I do for my HD800. (Very different headphones with different strengths.)

The majority of my actual listening time is probably at work though, where I mostly use iSine 20's.

Thanks, So you kept modded T50s in your rotation. I have the Q1 mk1. It can in high gain mode drive the T50s quite okay, but some of my older songs with piano (Radka Toneff, The moon is a harsh mistress, etc.) do need a bit more power.

Although, I like 'one does it all solutions' I can see that having several headphones may make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back