Who really believes the ****busters on Discovery?
Jun 6, 2009 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Banned at his own request
I watch their show once in a while.
I consider those 2 guys as 2 deadbeats trying to get some money.
But many people at my school (who actually speak English, may I remind you that I'm in QC) really believe their stuff.
Certainly, their results can be used as a reference, but not scientific proof.
Many of their tests have too much room for errors, I think.
The whole "the toilet seat is the cleanest place in a house" thing, huh.
Hey, maybe they should do a "burn-in" test, see if this is really real.
Who did that? Who here has a spectrum analyzer and did tests before and after burn-in?
I can't afford a 4K$ fake head. If I can, I'd do the tests myself.
So who really believes their stuff?

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly, their results can be used as a reference, but not scientific proof.
Many of their tests have too much room for errors

Agreed

I'm not a fan because that show just doesn't hold my interest and it's the "type" of show that I would usually like since it has to do with science. In fact, I really don't like the show.

But clearly they cut many corners, and I have found holes in their experiments in the few shows I've seen.

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 25
I highly enjoy mythbusters - its a fun, entertaining show. Everything on it you have to take with a grain of salt, sure. I just don't understand why everyone gets so angry over a free service that doesn't, as far as I've noticed, claim to be 100% accurate and scientific.
Haven't watched any of the latest episodes though.

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 25
^Blew.
I like their show. I don't care what they test, they make a fun show.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 25
I have watched it from from the early days...best part is they like to blow crap up!
second best part is if you see something you don't likem write them and they will try it again, they have had several shows on viewer complaints and sometimes the outcomes have changed...after so many years, new material is a bit of a stretch, but this so much better than most network tv!
I do miss the tattoed blonde that used to be on there...she was ok on the eyes!
Dirty Jobs is also great!

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 25
I hope you are joking. The show is not nor does it claim to be absolutely correct. In fact, I've seen interviews with cast members that say just that. The show is for entertainment purposes. If they really wanted to show their experimental prowess they wouldn't end each segment with their signature explosions.

Code:

Code:
[left]I consider those 2 guys as 2 deadbeats trying to get some money.[/left]

This sounds so silly to me. The two hosts of the show have been in the special effects business for years working their way up to a gig of their own. Are you telling me you wouldn't take a similar opportunity? I find your use of numerals as words far more "deadbeat"-like than putting on a fun, harmless TV show.

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 25
it's a great show, you must be taking them very seriously to have that opinion of them! They have both worked extensively in the movie special effects business, I doubt this is a cash grab, rather them doing what they love and sharing it. oops didn't read the post above... but to add to that, you can tell they have a genuine interest in what they do, obviously they have to compromise the standards of their tests and both dumb it down and add some flash to their "experiments" but it's all fitting given the spirit of the show, which is certainly not one of serious sceintific analysis.

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 25
Anything genuinely scientific would make for terrible TV. Not even CSPAN would run it.

Though it's not peer-reviewed and carefully controlled, the point they make is a good one. You should question myths and you should perform tests to learn for yourself if something is true.

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 25
Has anyone here seen their Nvidia presentation? It was uberawesomely awesome! Really!
I really enjoyed the show until second team showed up. They rush their tests, they tend to be "overly" funny without actually being funny. At all. Oh, and they tend to take the easy route over and over..
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 25
Compared to what else is on, Mythbusters is great tv.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #14 of 25
don't care for the show or it's hosts.
but whatever floats your boat.

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here seen their Nvidia presentation? It was uberawesomely awesome! Really!

The giant paintball gun one?? It was awesome if that is the one that you are talking about.

I think that it is a pretty entertaining show, what else can you watch on TV where they blow up a cement truck just because?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back