Who prefers the Sennheiser HD 800 over the STAX SR-009? (Whether overall or in certain categories.)
Jan 21, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #62 of 73
Some people factor a high-end DAC into that equation since they feel it is also essential.

Exactly, a good DAC is highly suggested. 4K for SR9, 6K for amp (BHSE or WES), 2K for a good DAC = 12k USD.

The 800s are excellent headphones and can even sound good powered via an iphone, and certainly a 'low-end' amp (300-700$), etc. The 800s are probably the best headphones for the money but I do prefer a good SR-009 setup. I have both and do love the 800s. The 009s, especially on instruments and vocals, take music to a another level.

May 4, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #63 of 73
I always prefer to buy a HD800s as a upgrade to my HD700 system, until I owned a sr-L500 and a good pre-amp...
I think my current L500 setup can be compared to a HD800 + HDVD800, just having less bass. At least clearly better then my HD700 using the same setup.

One problem with Stax amps is that they are good power amp but not a good integrated amp. The Stax amps not driving Stax headphone as good as 3rd parties integrated amps.
On contrary, there is less choice of 3rd parties amps for electrostatic headphone and they all sounds great. I don't need much effort to decide which one I should buy.

I know I can get rid of those Sibilance with a mod, on the other hand, to reveal the true ability of HD800s, lots of time and money are required.
Given that I have already ordered a KGSSHV from a DIYer, I am at a point that unable to decide whether I should go for SR009 or HD800s because the cost for making HD800s sound exotic is close to the price of getting a SR009.
Ultimately, If Senn market a new electrostatic headphone at the price range like SR009, I will definitely put all my time and money on it, forget about HD800s and SR009.

After all, there is no return once you know how fantastic can a electrostatic headphone sound. I mean HE-1 :).

May 8, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #67 of 73
I have KG T2 amps and R2R7 for my SR-009. I do love HD800S as it has very similar voicing to the SR-009 out of any good portable players. It is awesome for portable systems IMO. I don’t want to get a full-size desktop to haul it just because I would do it on Sr009 already. Both are excellent headphones. The soundstage on the HD8200S though, appears to be very distant and out of the head

May 17, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #68 of 73
I guess this is a tossup. Since neither really tickles me but have 800,800s,009,007. Even though I am not so keen on either(for different reasons) it says a lot about the 800. Since like look at the price difference. Although if considering price I go with the 800s. Which again says a lot about the 800!

As just said by others you look at good amp,dac you may not necessarily be talking about better headphones(what actually goes on your noggin) but you are talking about a different price level. That is for sure.

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #69 of 73
I have KG T2 amps and R2R7 for my SR-009. I do love HD800S as it has very similar voicing to the SR-009 out of any good portable players. It is awesome for portable systems IMO. I don’t want to get a full-size desktop to haul it just because I would do it on Sr009 already. Both are excellent headphones. The soundstage on the HD8200S though, appears to be very distant and out of the head
What about the 007mk2+T2 combo?

Aug 19, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #71 of 73
HD800 is my most fav can. EQ that bass (and treble), slap an sdr mod, and give it a good tube amp to make it shine. It is day and night difference with stock HD800.

Regardless.....heard SR009 out of the yggy and BHSE (in a show condition). It would be difficult for HD800 to beat that level of transparency and imaging. Even L700 holds well against HD800.

Problem is...SR009+BHSE is very costly that I can't afford it. And HD800 can hold its own pretty well. But kudos to those who can afford it. Totally worth the money, if you ask me. Hats off to Stax.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #72 of 73
I own both the HD800s and Sr009. Even on my lower end Stax setup i've found the SR009 comes on top I just feel that its sound is more transparent and just generally more refined. That being said though the HD800S gets pretty damn close at a fraction of the price. If you don't want to deal with electrostatic quirks and just want an excellent all round dynamic its hard to go past them.

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #73 of 73
I own both the HD800s and Sr009. Even on my lower end Stax setup i've found the SR009 comes on top I just feel that its sound is more transparent and just generally more refined. That being said though the HD800S gets pretty damn close at a fraction of the price. If you don't want to deal with electrostatic quirks and just want an excellent all round dynamic its hard to go past them.
I totally agreee, the Hd800s gotta be the Dynamic headphones that gets so close to ES behaviors, and I do like it for that, especially as a portable rig. But if you have the option, Stax wins every time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back