Who prefers O2 over HE90/HE60 or vice versa and why?
Nov 28, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #61 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent the last two months trying to get the most out of the He90's with new cables, tubes and sources but to no avail. All that I've managed to do is make the O2's even better by tweaking the metal bands so now the bass in much more balanced then before and the highs are a bit more pronounced.

The He90 benefits from the "Fat boy" 6CA7 tubes but it comes at a price. They do gain a bit in the low end and appear to have more dynamics at the expense of a weird texture on all voices along with one note bass.

Ps. The He90 is not nor will it be for sale, so don't ask.
wink.gif

Just read your profile.............

Occupation..
Buying electrostatic Headphones!!!!

Had a nice laugh, and room for advancement also.

Dan

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #62 of 102
I remember having a clear preference for the HE90 the last time I compared electrostatic headphones.

Of course, the question is somewhat moot, because the Qualia owns them all for detail, speed, and bass (if it fits you).
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #64 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyandelyse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just read your profile.............

Occupation..
Buying electrostatic Headphones!!!!

Had a nice laugh, and room for advancement also.

Dan

Well it's partially true. I just got in the mail the very rare Micro Seiki MP-1/MS-2 phones with broken diaphragms or more like they were turned to dust. They clearly aren't made out of mylar. On the other hand these are very strange stats since the headphone plug has only 4 pins but the energizer has a 9v battery as a power source for the bias and the drivers are electrostatic with 3 wires.

Oh and in between headphones I run my families 172 year old bakery...

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #66 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love them too
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another Qualia fanatic
smily_headphones1.gif
We are rare.

after a few miniutes with the qualia phones at the nyc meet, i had to put them down. i dont think i have anything that i could trade with bozebuttons for them...

yea, they are hot.

Nov 29, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #67 of 102
I agree with Spritzer on the sound. I prefer the O2 over the HE90 due mainly to the light bass response of the HE90. However, I don't agree the O2 is more comfortable than the HE90 (or any Sennheiser). The O2s get hot, has the annoying stax fart, and has the suction effect. The HE90s are way more comfortable to me. I already sold both my O2 and HE90 so this is all from memory.

Nov 29, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #68 of 102
qualia is one of the few upgrades to the hd650, of course, imho

Nov 29, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #70 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Spritzer on the sound. I prefer the O2 over the HE90 due mainly to the light bass response of the HE90. However, I don't agree the O2 is more comfortable than the HE90 (or any Sennheiser). The O2s get hot, has the annoying stax fart, and has the suction effect. The HE90s are way more comfortable to me. I already sold both my O2 and HE90 so this is all from memory.

Pat - You'll have to hear my HE90/ES-1 setup after it is done. The goal behind this amp is to get deep low and impactful bass without sacrificing the midrange.

Neil

Feb 3, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #71 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

blink.gif
; "fart"...never heard of this...must be mentioned in older threads.

Feb 3, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #72 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking forward to hearing the HD650 balanced. Somehow between the 3 meets I've attended I've never heard them that way.

The HD-650 is good, but the Qualia 010 scales up balanced better than any other headphone I've heard (and I've got a balanced R10 also). Cabling does matter. I'm using a balanced silver cable that Larry at Headphile made for me and that I terminated for the Qualia myself.

Using the ES1, I'd have to say that while I've tried several tube sets, the HE90 at its best is simply more musical than the Omega II. I'm including areas where the OII is general considered strong: impact and bass response. The OII always sounds smooth to me, but in many ways that also sounds like an artifact. Garage rock just shouldn't sound smooth
tongue.gif
With judicious tweaking, I've found tube sets that really make the Stax cans shine, and seem to take the life out of the HE90. Oddly, I don't use those tubes with the HE90.

1st driver stage of ES1 is Tung Sol 5693, second stage is Sylvania 6BL7GTA, outputs are Sylvania 6CA7's ("Fat Boys" curiously misspelled on the tubes as "RCA"). This combo actually sounds good with both HE90 and OII (although I've only been an OII owner a short while, I've heard a friend's OII several times on my amp). I'm waiting for adapters to use the 3D21WA instead of the EL34/6CA7, and will report if this works. It will certainly provide more power.

Feb 3, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #74 of 102
I had the opportunity to briefly demo the Baby-O and the Omega II at the DFW meet last week and from what I was able to gather during that time I would prefer the Omega II. Although it would have helped if they were playing music I was familiar with.

Feb 3, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #75 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD-650 is good, but the Qualia 010 scales up balanced better than any other headphone I've heard (and I've got a balanced R10 also). Cabling does matter. I'm using a balanced silver cable that Larry at Headphile made for me and that I terminated for the Qualia myself.

Using the ES1, I'd have to say that while I've tried several tube sets, the HE90 at its best is simply more musical than the Omega II. I'm including areas where the OII is general considered strong: impact and bass response. The OII always sounds smooth to me, but in many ways that also sounds like an artifact. Garage rock just shouldn't sound smooth
tongue.gif
With judicious tweaking, I've found tube sets that really make the Stax cans shine, and seem to take the life out of the HE90. Oddly, I don't use those tubes with the HE90.

1st driver stage of ES1 is Tung Sol 5693, second stage is Sylvania 6BL7GTA, outputs are Sylvania 6CA7's ("Fat Boys" curiously misspelled on the tubes as "RCA"). This combo actually sounds good with both HE90 and OII (although I've only been an OII owner a short while, I've heard a friend's OII several times on my amp). I'm waiting for adapters to use the 3D21WA instead of the EL34/6CA7, and will report if this works. It will certainly provide more power.

great! i will follow up with your discovery =). The only thing i did so far is to use tesla NOS el34 tubes and i heard a very dramatic improvement, particularly at the high frequency. There is also a minor scale down in warmth.
The boss of the tube shop told me to get mullard el34 xf2 if i find the sound to be too thin but right now im satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back