Who misses speakers?
Jan 30, 2020 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
Turned on my speakers for the first time in awhile. Playing certain types of music, Muse and The Rasmus for example, speakers are capable of more PHYSICAL connection with the music through vibrations through walls, floors, and even air. Even my headphone dynamics king Abyss 1266 Phi TC cannot do this. Sigh...

Jan 31, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 14
That is just how it is, what speakers do you have? The problem for most people is that speaker placement and room dimensions play a big big role and most people have less than ideal situations. I am in that group as well so I have ARC software from my integrated amp/dac. I have the Anthem STR Integrated. =)

Feb 12, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 14
Personally I prefer speakers over headphones (I still love headphones though). Another advantage with speakers is that it’s great for casual music listening. While I do enjoy headphones, I dislike it for casual listening. For speakers, it feels more freeing.

But of course, if you live in an apartment or have a wife/husband and kids who don’t want to hear your music, speakers may not be allowed and you have to stick with headphones

Feb 12, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 14
I'm just beginning to be drawn into speakers. Just got my first pair, Micca MB42X bookshelves. They sound great and I'm enjoying my music through them immensely now. More immersive and best of all, nothing shoved into my ears or clamping onto my head! :)

Oh, btw, Muse's Simulation Theory sounds fantastic through speakers!

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 14
Personally I prefer speakers over headphones (I still love headphones though). Another advantage with speakers is that it’s great for casual music listening. While I do enjoy headphones, I dislike it for casual listening. For speakers, it feels more freeing.

But of course, if you live in an apartment or have a wife/husband and kids who don’t want to hear your music, speakers may not be allowed and you have to stick with headphones

Same here. I prefer speakers by a loud margin :) but I live in a country where people like their peace and quiet so I can't use them much. When I have headphones on I cannot do anything but listen to the music. With speakers you can tune in and out as you need to.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Same here. I prefer speakers by a loud margin :) but I live in a country where people like their peace and quiet so I can't use them much. When I have headphones on I cannot do anything but listen to the music. With speakers you can tune in and out as you need to.

I recently moved to an area where it’s in the woods and it’s hard for neighbors to hear loud music. So it’s easy for me to play speakers loud anytime. As a result, I rarely listen to headphones.

Feb 15, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #9 of 14
I was looking at this video the other day on this topic, headphones or speakers and one the person made an interesting point on why she preferred headphones, it's because she didn't want others to what she was listening to! I think its an interesting point and a valid one.

But some type music i believe only comes alive on speakers! For a person like who spends equally on portable hi-fi and home theater, money runs out quick :D I too live in an close apartments, but that didnt stop me setting up a full Atmos system :D

Feb 15, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 14
I prefer headphones setup, unless I can use a fun speaker setup with an extreme investment on the subwoofer! Doesn't need to be perfect, just fun!

Feb 15, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 14
I love speakers! Plus I live in rural Mississippi where my nearest neighbor is well over 100 yards away, so I can listen at near concert volume levels (in my sweet spot) and not really disturb anyone, though I am sure they still feel a bass note or two, even that far away. For music, I have a modest Klipsch 2.2 setup: R-28F towers and two 12SW subs powered by an Onkyo home theater reciever and I still get much enjoyment even from these Best Buy specials! Yeah my schiit didn't even come from the Magnolia section of Best Buy!

Feb 15, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 14
I just listened to a complete album on my ELAC speakers for the first time in a week.
And just as Jon said, speakers add vibrations and there's a soundstage that headphones have trouble to reproduce.
And even though I use my cans for detailed listening, I noted details that for some reason don't come trough in the cans.
So it's best of both worlds to have access to both. :gs1000smile:

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 14
I recently moved to an area where it’s in the woods and it’s hard for neighbors to hear loud music. So it’s easy for me to play speakers loud anytime. As a result, I rarely listen to headphones.

This is how I lived pretty much all my life until recently. So I share your joy :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back