Who makes the best single balanced armature earphone?
Feb 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #76 of 90
I'm gonna throw something out here.... So we're talking about more drivers allowing for more coverage of the frequency spectrum on each end.... But we're talking about IEMs, and the only way to get multiple drivers to fit is to use balanced armatures.... But as far as I know, balanced armatures can only extend to around 17kHz on the high end....

*thrown*

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #78 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Image X10

I heard a MJ Acoustics single driver speaker and it didnt sound crippled at all, but we are speaking about iems, as said above the image is supposed to reach 19khz (i say supposed because i am sure it measured less) , i hear it is a little weak at the top though.

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #79 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is what you think. Try bumping the volume really high and get ready for distortion. Also you have you heard a perfect response before? No.

Huh? For starters, the PFE volume is really limited to some extent, at least on three of my DAPs (Sony, Clip and Zune) using HP out. When hooked to the minibox or even the E5, where I can crank them, not a hint of distortion, at least not in the sound range that won't damage my ear drums/hearing. Stupid comment.

As far as hearing the perfect bass response, what a self-absorbed comment.

Getting back to the OP's question, I haven't heard every single driver BA phone, of course, but my belief is the PFEs are hard to beat. For example, for SQ alone, I favor the PFE over the X10s, which are $60-75 more (for the non-iPhone) model. Other factors (microphonics and durability) also favor the PFEs.

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? For starters, the PFE volume is really limited to some extent, at least on three of my DAPs (Sony, Clip and Zune) using HP out. When hooked to the minibox or even the E5, where I can crank them, not a hint of distortion, at least not in the sound range that won't damage my ear drums/hearing. Stupid comment.

As far as hearing the perfect bass response, what a self-absorbed comment.

Getting back to the OP's question, I haven't heard every single driver BA phone, of course, but my belief is the PFEs are hard to beat. For example, for SQ alone, I favor the PFE over the X10s, which are $60-75 more (for the non-iPhone) model. Other factors (microphonics and durability) also favor the PFEs.

I wouldn't even acknowledge this kid, he's a troll at best. A frustrated child, trying to convey his limited knowledge as the absolute truth, when it is far from that.

Just some disgruntled teenager on the internets.

nG

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #82 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ngsm13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't even acknowledge this kid, he's a troll at best. A frustrated child, trying to convey his limited knowledge as the absolute truth, when it is far from that.

Just some disgruntled teenager on the internets.

nG

No doubt.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #84 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna throw something out here.... So we're talking about more drivers allowing for more coverage of the frequency spectrum on each end.... But we're talking about IEMs, and the only way to get multiple drivers to fit is to use balanced armatures.... But as far as I know, balanced armatures can only extend to around 17kHz on the high end....

*thrown*

That's not necessarily true, as depending on the size of your armature, you can make it go higher for example 18kHz like shure, and 20kHz like Jays.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #85 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not necessarily true, as depending on the size of your armature, you can make it go higher for example 18kHz like shure, and 20kHz like Jays.

Shure? 18kHz?...

...Can I borrow your SE530s?
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #86 of 90
i really love the pfe, the sa6, the er4. each are excellent but i would probably choose the pfe just for fit. since it has a smaller lateral profile, it is comfortable for active use. i do not like the sharp sides, however, i realise that many people are not worried by that factor.

sound wise, the sa6 worked better with my ears to create a fit that produced a truer 3D image with a much lusher bass and less fatiguing high-end. the er4 simply has the most tight sound for my tastes. while each are close, i would put the SA6 first for my personal tastes in music and the PFE and er4 somewhere near with the edge toward the er4.

however, the SA6 and er4 are both sadistic for active use even though the SA6 by far is fit with the better cable.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #87 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure? 18kHz?...

...Can I borrow your SE530s?
biggrin.gif

maybe the shure armatures can reach 18khz and maybe the jay's can reach 20khz, this doesnt mean they have tuned them this way, they give these frequency ranges based on what they believe could be achieved.

although it does look funny when he says that because we all know the shures dont achieve those ranges, although extreme EQ'ing may get a little closer, who's actually tested to see the actual performances of armatures? surely it truely varies on source, tuning, power and design.

EDIT: oh and what an awesome thread, very entertaining discussion, to the OP i like the super fi 3, is it the best...nope, is it good, yeh pretty darn decent!

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #88 of 90
I'd say it's a toss-up between the PFE's & ER4's. ER4 leans slightly more accurate, while PFE leans slightly more fun. Both are phenominal single arm phones and are much better than many multi-driver phones I've tried, in my opinion anyway.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #89 of 90
Yep! Got another one here that absolutely LOVES the PFE! Granted I haven't heard many armature earphones, but the PFE makes my GR07 sound confined and muffled.

Speaking of single BA, I've really been eye balling the hell outta that new ATH im01. Anyone else interested in a single BA from audio technical? Wonder if it will hold a candle to the single PFE....

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #90 of 90
I have a question.

What about crossoverless multi-drivers iem like the FAD LAB I? Where do they stand?  Does the FAD LAB I counts as a single BA or double BA?  Although it uses a dual BA driver, it does not seems to have crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back