Who loves their music?
Dec 4, 2009 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sixshades

New Head-Fier
I'm a lucky man. It's my birthday today and I have four beautiful kids.
I'm also lucky because for the first time in my life I have (for me) a great pair of headphones - they're Denon D5000 but that's not important right now.

What's the point of this - well, lets get this out of the way now - your a geek!

Hey, don't worry I'm a geek too. I don't really think of myself as one but c'mon, I've just spent hundreds of pounds on a pair of tiny speakers that nobody else but me can hear properly. I've earned my geek membership and by the simple fact that your reading this, I guess you have too.

So, why are we here. Well, for this post at least I'm interested to find out if music moves you like it does me.
I don't want to wax lyrical about how it makes me feel but suffice to say when a tunes good, damn it's good.

It's not that simple though is it? It's not just the tune itself that matters. A tune played on my ipod, with compression and through earphones does not make me feel the same as when I play it on my Arcam/B&W system.

What is it then?

Please someone say it's more than just being a male and that we like empirical evidence of one device reproducing sound better than another.

As a starter, I like all kinds of music and I can listen to Metallica or Madonna on the ipod without feeling like I need to hear them 'properly'. However, a good female vocalist - now that calls for clean ampage and crisp tweeters played loud.

Let me know your thoughts.

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 10
Congratulations on your birthday! Does music move me? Yes it does! Even good performances on old mono recordings with some cackle and hiss. Yes it is about the equipment too, but pieces of music such as Furtwangler's 9th for Bayreuth is in another dimension of its own. It's the kind of stuff that can literally move one to tears.

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 10
I honestly can't think of anything I would rather do when I have some down time to sit back and relax than listen to music through my headphones or a good set of speakers. I would much rather listen to music than sit and watch tv. I agree that certain songs just need to be played through the right setup in order to enjoy them properly, and there are many others that are perfectly fine just playing through my ipod.

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 10
I would think everyone on this forum loves their music. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here in the first place.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lex2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations on your birthday! Does music move me? Yes it does! Even good performances on old mono recordings with some cackle and hiss. Yes it is about the equipment too, but pieces of music such as Furtwangler's 9th for Bayreuth is in another dimension of its own. It's the kind of stuff that can literally move one to tears.

Then you should really try Furtwangler's 1942 performance(s).. they are simply earth-shattering!!

ab7a828fd7a0132008f53110.L.jpg

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 10
I listen to music the wrong way; as background while doing other things. I also listen to music the right way [at least to me]: while laying down in my bed with my headphones [SR60i] and my music player [Cowon D2+] in a chair adjacent to my bed. That is when some music blows me away. That is where I discover why some music get all the acclaim I didn't find when listening to it while browsing through head-fi. That is when lyrics make me chuckle, that is where music makes me go OMGZWTHTHATWASAWESOME!

Thank you mid-fi, you are all I need now... until I get money and grow older and seek out other pleasures.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 10
"Then you should really try Furtwangler's 1942 performance(s).. they are simply earth-shattering!!"

Yes, have this as part of the Music and Arts boxset and it is great as well.
regular_smile .gif
I think there was an interesting Youtube clip showing Furtwangler wiping his hands after shaking Goebbels's hand following the performance.

Dec 4, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 10
Yes, music 'moves me'. I don't know if it's part the time I grew up (16 in the Summer of Love and 18 at Woodstock). Although I am still quite open to an array of music genres, there are some tunes from those days past that (with a good source and pair of headphones) can bring a nostalgic tear to my eye. That's what I love about this hobby and my music - the journey and discovery continues unabated. I'd much rather be sitting in front of a computer screen with my HF-2's or Stax on, than sitting in front of a television set. (last time I sat down and watched a TV show was several years ago). And for most of the members here it IS a matter of audio fidelity, and all that encompasses, from hardware to the recording itself. Awww such aural bliss is hard to achieve, but when you are there, it's another world.

Dec 4, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, music 'moves me'....with my HF-2's or Stax ...when you are there, it's another world.

Perfectly put, Charlie. Amazingly, these are exactly the two HPs I chose tonight, for about 3 hours of solid listening: HF-2's/EF-1 and 007a/KGSS.

Lowered the halogen to barely on, and spun many of my fave CDs. Some made me cry. Some made me dance. This is not anything I would want anyone to witness (hear or see), not even my wife (she is watching TV, which, like others here, I typically don't). I mean, I'm a 60-year old scientist and business executive who has no clue how to dance, and certainly won't admit to crying. That's why the HP listening area is a little room all to itself with a door that closes tight.

I really don't want anyone close to know this part of me. But I wouldn't want to live without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back