Who Loves King Crimison?
Jul 27, 2004 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

lojay

1000+ Head-Fier
I have only listened to two of King Crimison's more recognized albums "In The Court Of King Crimison" and "Discipline". Both albums differ very greatly in mood, so much that I just don't feel that they're the same band....(are there some sort of reshuffling of members on Discipline?)

I'd prefer the brooding feel that grips you throughout the first album rather than the sheer wildness on the latter one. Still, I find it difficult to find the bands' "selling point", maybe I've been misleaded by either albums. Something's gotta contribute to their status.

Would you guys be kind enoguh to recommend another album that I've missed? They're quite prolific, you've got to understand, it's not quite fun to listen to all of their music, especially given I'm not that keen on them now. Please recommend, I'm trying to like them.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 24
King Crimson changed its personnel quite frequently - many of its band members went on to other prog-rock groups.

Early King Crimson sticks pretty much to the 60's prog-rock style but the latter albums (after mid-1970s), they were fed-up with standard prog-rock fare and became more eccentric, dissonant and "arty". Band leader Robert Fripp played with David Bowie in the 70s and has different projects like the League Of Crafty Guitarists (or sometime of that sort).

I love early King Crimson albums, especially their first album In The Court Of The Crimson King. IMHO, it's one of the best prog-rock albums of all time.

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 24
Ooooooooops . . . forgot to recommend discs.

If you like In The Court Of The Crimson King - i.e. the early stuff with mellotron - try Larks Tongue In Aspic. It's supposed to be good.

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 24
"In The Court Of The Crimson King", to me, is one of the greatest rock albums of all-time. No question! Greg Lake was superb. Of course, he only contributed a couple of songs to their next album, as he had just formed ELP with Keith Emerson, and Carl Palmer. Greg Lake has always been my favorite male vocalist.

B000003S09.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The King Crimson music that followed, did not interest me too much. Although, I have "Larks Tougue in Aspic" on LP. It didn't get that much turntable time, however.

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 24
there are a lot of king crimson fans on this board, expect them to show up soon...

based on your preference for the court of the crimson king, i'd recommend
'red' - seen by many as their best "classic" effort next to the debut.

Jul 27, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

eccentric, dissonant and "arty"

Yeah, that's "Discipline".
biggrin.gif
Any of you like the album BTW?

OK, I'll take a look at 'Larks Tongue In Aspic' and 'Red' soon. I'm far more familiar with David Bowie, Eno, or other Prog. rockers such as Pink Floyd and Genesis. I'm not sure which album did he record with Bowie, but I have all of Bowies albums, so I guess I can take a look (unless they worked under an alias) Funny I have Eno/Fripp's Evening Star and No *****footing, but I think I haven't spend enough time on them to do them justice. Overall I'm really new to Prog. rock, so I need some guidance (grin). It would be nice to know what prog. rock lovers read (magazines?) or in what forums they hang out.

Back to the music. IMO the end of 'in the Court of Crimison King' sounds (in tone) quite similar to Genesis's early stuff as well. I really love 'in the court''s later half, which's really moving. I wish the vocals were better recorded though. 21st century schizoid man's a bit eccentric to me (as the title suggests).

I used to be a only-Jazz listener, but I've been listening lot to this album, Van Halen's early stuff and Led Zep's Houses Of Holy recently.

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 24
I have always had this Love/Hate relationship with King Crimson ever since I was blown away by "In The Court Of The Crimson King." Robert Fripp is an eccentric guitar genius. His style is somewhat like Steve Howe of Yes in its complexity. It is also no coincidence that he and Adrian Belew found each other in the most recent incarnation of the band. I bought several of their albums on vinyl and, most recently, I purchased "The Power To Believe." I have never heard a King Crimson album that I liked from beginning to end. Their great songs are scattered like jewels, a few on each album. I don't know if they have a compilation disc out or not. "Lark's Tongue" would probably be your best bet. I liked "Power" quite a bit, but then I am an Adrian Belew fan. Good luck!
cool.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 24
There was a thread similar to this that turned me on to king crimson. I went out and bought "In the Court of the Crimson King" which turned out to just as good as everyone touted it to be. Great Album.

Jul 27, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by lojay
Yeah, that's "Discipline".
biggrin.gif
Any of you like the album BTW?

Funny I have Eno/Fripp's Evening Star and No *****footing, but I think I haven't spend enough time on them to do them justice. Overall I'm really new to Prog. rock, so I need some guidance (grin). It would be nice to know what prog. rock lovers read (magazines?) or in what forums they hang out.

No *****footing is a strange album, I first heard this back in 1970-something it was certainly different from Eno's first solo effort "Here Come the Warm Jets" - I was due to see Eno in Hull but he went and punctured a lung and so called it off.

For prog you might also try Van Der Graaf Generator

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 24
I like Discipline, and the rest of the later stuff also, they are very different from those early ones though, as stated above they change the personnel frequently, over this Fripp is an experimental obsessed musician, and he continuosly try to change styles and timbres, the latest King Crimson production is quite strange and unique, Adrian Belew is another obsessed with the experimental stuff....both together is a mess...LOL...

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 24
Ah finally a real Crimson fan rings in
smily_headphones1.gif
The top shelf of my decent sized wood cd rack is all crimson, and various related projects take half of the next shelf down (they could take up my entire house if I had the money). Indeed I think all Crimson fans must go through a love/hate relationship, because no single album is enjoyable all the way through. Certainly my favorite is Starless & Bible Black, followed by Red & Larks Tongues. Those three are from the 70's stage that earned KC the most devoted fanbase. Perhaps more people profess to liking In the Court but a lot of those same people just don't understand what came after.

What got me so addicted to this band was seeing them live in 2001. For me, the real joy of their music is in the live albums. Check out Nightwatch, a recent release that documents the live show where a lot of Starless and Bible Black was culled from (indeed it was a "studio" album that was recorded mostly live.) For early live stuff check out the 2-disc "Epitaph", with various performances from the first 2 albums. Also they have a new live DVD called Eyes Wide Open, mostly with material from the 90's/2000 incarnations.

If you still don't like them after hearing one of the "classic" 70's albums, all I can say is you're not alone. It takes a pretty warped ear to enjoy this stuff
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
Ah finally a real Crimson fan rings in
smily_headphones1.gif
The top shelf of my decent sized wood cd rack is all crimson, and various related projects take half of the next shelf down (they could take up my entire house if I had the money). Indeed I think all Crimson fans must go through a love/hate relationship, because no single album is enjoyable all the way through. Certainly my favorite is Starless & Bible Black, followed by Red & Larks Tongues. Those three are from the 70's stage that earned KC the most devoted fanbase. Perhaps more people profess to liking In the Court but a lot of those same people just don't understand what came after.

What got me so addicted to this band was seeing them live in 2001. For me, the real joy of their music is in the live albums. Check out Nightwatch, a recent release that documents the live show where a lot of Starless and Bible Black was culled from (indeed it was a "studio" album that was recorded mostly live.) For early live stuff check out the 2-disc "Epitaph", with various performances from the first 2 albums. Also they have a new live DVD called Eyes Wide Open, mostly with material from the 90's/2000 incarnations.

If you still don't like them after hearing one of the "classic" 70's albums, all I can say is you're not alone. It takes a pretty warped ear to enjoy this stuff
wink.gif

Ah yes, I forgot about "Starless and Bible Black." I have it on vinyl but never bought it on CD. That was an excellent album. I'm going to have to get that one out and listen to it again...thanks...
basshead.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 24
I'm 46 and have been a Crimso fan since I was about 14 or 15. I bought "In the Court..." originally because of its awesome cover. Then I heard the music and was thunderstruck. Like NightWoundsTime, a large part of my collection consists of KC. Check out their website http://www.disciplineglobalmobile.com for lots of live stuff that Fripp has been releasing.

I've seen the later versions of the band (80's till current) live, and always come away with that same thunderstruck feeling.

If you are a jazz listener, check out Islands... Mel Collins and Fripp in their "jazzy" incarnation. More can be heard on the live Earthbound, but the recording is truly atrocious.

I will always be interested in what KC have to play. Uncompromising musicians like Fripp and the boys are hard to find.

And by the way, there is a new Fripp and Eno album out. Check out http://www.disciplineglobalmobile.co...ink.cgi?id=664

A_Sr.

Jul 28, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 24
I am a huge Crimso fan, right now my collection has about 35 crimson albums ranging from the epitaph box from 1969 to there latest DVD Eye's wide open. For there jazzier moments I would say get the Ladies of the Road live set, this is a collection of material from the in-between period of Lake to Wetton. The material is taken from In the court of the crimson king, to islands. I find the live versions to be more fresh and interesting then the studio incarnations; you just never know how they will play a song. Some examples would on one of the collectors’ clubs releases from displine global mobile, a version of the song In the court of the crimson king is played in a blues version, simply hysterical and pretty musical at the same time.

Also if anyone has been keeping up with the new release from Fripp and Eno, I think it was released a week ago, but I haven't seen anything about it anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back