Who listens to MP3 players?
Jul 26, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #32 of 61
Mostly I used it when I do my graveyard shift work or if I go to border reading manga. I also use it on travel time during vacation. It also help that my Vaio pocket also serve as portable harddrive for my digital camer.

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #33 of 61
indeed, ye olde "Reading Manga at the Bookstore" requires a portable rig. as does Dogwalking. And just commuting to work, which means a 10 min walk from home to the 30 min subway ride to the 10 min walk to work. And back. Believe me, the portable rig gets plenty of use.

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #34 of 61
A non-exhaustive list of where and how I listen to MP3s:
  1. on trains to and from the office, ipod --> E4s
  2. walking to and from the train station, ipod --> E4s
  3. on planes, ipod --> Total Bithead --> E4s (I think that if I ever forgot my IEMs while flying somewhere, I would have to buy another pair at full retail price in the airport. They are that indispensable to me on flights.)
  4. in the office, computer --> Total BitHead --> E4s
  5. while driving, ipod --> PocketDock --> car stereo.
  6. walking the dog, ipod --> E4s
  7. in hotel rooms, ipod --> Total BitHead --> KSC-75s (or, less often, HD595s)
  8. while doing yardwork or shoveling snow, ipod --> E4s
  9. at home, while practicing guitar while my wife is sleeping, iPod --> Line6 XTlive --> MS-1s or HD595s

By the way, peter_josephina, I'm 37, so I don't think that the portable music phenomenon is limited to a younger generation. After all, our generation grew up with the Sony Cassette Walkman. I used to listen to my Walkman on my long bus rides to and from school. The technology is better now; I can carry more music, and listen to it on gear that sounds much better. But the concept is the same.

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_josephina
Like where? Work? In the car?

commute train, walking around campus, in dorm if not at home, before classes, library. I listen to my player at when I don't have to listen to a human and am not at home with my pc.

edit: and at home I listen to a mix of wavpack/mp3/ogg on my computer based source

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #36 of 61
This is an interesting thread.

I am 36 and I listen to it at work, when I run and on airplanes. I don't listen to it that much at work, because it is a pain taking the headphones on and off all of the time when I get a phone call, leave my desk, people come to talk to me.

It seems college and high school students probably use them the most. Between classes, studying, etc...

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #38 of 61
What?
eek.gif
Say it again please!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Ok, so, I consider myself a relatively normal human, except for one thing: I don't use an MP3 player and can't imagine one situation in my life where I'd use one.

Under what situations do people use them??

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #39 of 61
It's a 5G iPod Video and I don't leave home without it. Perfect for the subway and the noisy NYC streets. Life is GOOD!

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #40 of 61
I carry my Nano and Etys around everywhere. On the train, bus, walking, sitting in the park smoking cigars, walking to the grocery 5 minutes away, etc..

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #41 of 61
I use my nano or 3rd gen ipod almost everyday, in and out of the house.
I use the Nano at the gym, bank, grocery store, park, library and anywhere else I have to be longer than 5 minutes.

For all those tedious daily chores like laundry, dishes, vacuuming, having some music makes things easier. I make fast paced playlists and sometimes I wonder if having so much fun while folding clothes should be illegal.
280smile.gif

The old ipod sux on battery life and i haven't replaced it, not a problem... I use it with home system/speakers or in the car... tons of music at my fingertips at all times.

I'm 36 and from the walkman/discman generation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #42 of 61
I travel by public transportation (bus, train, subway) 1 1/2 - 2 hours a day, to work and back. So my portable setup is essential to me.

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

This is werid isn't it? I feel like a lead a normal life but, I guess something's wrong.

What's really weird is that you're hanging out on a site where its members primarily discuss portable audio (ie. mp3 players).

Jul 30, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonix991
In the car, in class(the teachers won't like my new A900's, hehehe), walking to the movie store, reading a book, waiting for the public transportation, everywhere I can't bring my computer.

That enough places to justify getting one?

Do today's students listen to music during classes???
confused.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #45 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Do today's students listen to music during classes???
confused.gif

Sure some do.

The more conscientious use their portable music devices to record lectures; nowadays students carry both a portable recorder and a digital camera to lectures.

That, of course, does not guarantee that they'll learn more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back