Who listens to MP3 players?
Jul 26, 2006 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61
Ok, so, I consider myself a relatively normal human, except for one thing: I don't use an MP3 player and can't imagine one situation in my life where I'd use one.

Under what situations do people use them??

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 61
I use public transit for 2 hours everyday, I go on jogs and vacations. If it weren't for IEMs and my ipod setup I'd go crazy. It helps reduce the fatigue of the loud engine and subway cars too. I really like it.

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 61
Mowing the lawn
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 61
When I am going somewhere alone, I usually take my player w/ me.

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_josephina
I drive to work, don't jog and use a lawn service.

So, when else might I (you) use one?

Do you ever take a bus or something? Or walk anywhere?

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 61
The last time I had something similar was in the 80's...something called "The Walkman." I can't see myself buying an MP3 player in the near future if I survived this long.

Heck...I don't even have a cell phone
eek.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
Do you ever take a bus or something? Or walk anywhere?

I never take public transportation. I live in a relatively rural area and need to drive everywhere. I don't take any random walks (I should exercise though.)

I wake up, drive to work, come home, eat dinner, futz around for a bit, put the kids down, check email, head-fi, etc. read, then bed.

On the weekends, I take the dogs to the park, or futz around the house, garden, etc. and listen to my main rig at night.

Maybe working on the yard I could use one. But, I'd hate to buy one and only use it for 3 hours a week.

This is werid isn't it? I feel like a lead a normal life but, I guess something's wrong.

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 61
I use my zen micro everywhere, only source I have. Upgrading to a U3, seems like a fully capable hi-fi source to me.

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 61
I walk to work, but I still don't have one. I'm just not much on music as distraction. I don't see how I could do any real listening while paying as much attention to my surroundings as I like to. I also like to think, I think about a lot of stuff in my free time. Furthermore, I've developed very high standards for fidelity, so neither the thought of listening to unamped portable, or dragging around an amp and real live headhpones, both of them in a noisy environment, sounds appealing. To be honest I've actually evolved into sleeping from 6 (after work) to about midnight, then listening to music from about 1-3am. It's very very quiet then. And dark.

I do go places sometimes and would like something more compact that my 15" laptop, but it's just not worth hundreds of dollars to me right now. Especially as there isn't a single mp3 player on the market that has what I consider acceptable features, without using potentially hassle-inducing third party firmwares.

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #15 of 61
Maybe it's an age thing. I'm 38, two small boys, two dogs and a house.

Last year I used a small radio while doing the lawn (NPR) but always felt like someone was sneaking up on me.

Other times in the yard, I just like to listen to "nature."

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE music but like to set time aside and focus on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back